3-Point Hitch 3-point hitch log skidder

/ 3-point hitch log skidder #1  

Rusty4242

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23
Hi, is anyone familiar with this 3-point hitch log skidder from Smallwoodlottools.com? I plan to use it with by BX23 for thinning my woodlot. I've been making do with chains and the drawbar. Nothing too big, stuff up to a foot in diameter. Thanks, Rusty
here is the link
Small Wood Lot Tools

/ 3-point hitch log skidder #2  
Hello
For no more than there is to it they sure are proud of it.
I wouldn't be hard to rig one up with more versatility.
1.An Omni Hitch with the boom attachment and logging tongs from Northern
2. A Quick Hitch and Logging tongs.
3. Build your own set up similar to theirs.
These could be used for more than just skidding.

/ 3-point hitch log skidder #3  
Just Bill's #2 is what I use. And tossing the logging tongs on the quick hitch is better than a dedicated attachment on the 3 ph. I think :D

But have fun with it, regardless. Would like to see some pics with some good size logs on it.

/ 3-point hitch log skidder #4  
Hi, is anyone familiar with this 3-point hitch log skidder from Smallwoodlottools.com? I plan to use it with by BX23 for thinning my woodlot. I've been making do with chains and the drawbar. Nothing too big, stuff up to a foot in diameter. Thanks, Rusty
here is the link
Small Wood Lot Tools

This is just my opinion, but the smallwoodlottools device seems to be quite an expensive attachment to purchase unless you're moving lots and lots of logs. Using a drawbar and chains is the way I've always done it. And I'd use the money "saved" for another type of attachment. However, if you're moving lots of logs, I could see where this attachment might be more convenient than a drawbar and chains.

/ 3-point hitch log skidder #5  
Looks like a nice set up. I modeled mine after one I saw in northern, but now you are giving me more Ideas!:cool:
Picture001.jpg

/ 3-point hitch log skidder #6  
I agree that an inexpensive boom pole and some tongs should do about the same for half the price. It does look well made, just too expensive for the number of logs I harvest.

MarkV

/ 3-point hitch log skidder #8  
It seems to work well for logs that you can easily get to. It looks to be well made and well thought out. But, what about logs that are laying by a stump so you can't back straight up to it? Where there is a log there is usually a stump close by. Still hard to beat a chain with a slip hook on one end and a grab hook on the other. Add a grab hook on the tractor drawbar so you take up the slack in the chain and you have a simple system that will move a lot of logs. Works even better if you have it attached to the 3PTH so you can lift the front of the log.

Here is a picture of my setup.

Attachments

• IMG_1722.JPG
    IMG_1722.JPG
    672.3 KB · Views: 3,811
  • IMG_1724.JPG
    IMG_1724.JPG
    844.4 KB · Views: 2,227
  • IMG_1905.jpg
    IMG_1905.jpg
    663.8 KB · Views: 9,780
  • IMG_1908.jpg
    IMG_1908.jpg
    771.9 KB · Views: 2,746
   / 3-point hitch log skidder #9  
At last look I just watch the video, This time I actually saw the price ouch. I have about $12 (for pins) and 45min. In mine before the paint. The tongs are nice but for the most part I use the chains!;)

/ 3-point hitch log skidder #10  
This is what I use. The upper #1 hooks do the lifting and the lower #2 hooks do the pulling. I use chains with a slip hook on one end that allows the chain to loop around and tighten onto the log. A grab hook on the other end.

The steps are:
Loop the chain around log and hook it to #1 upper hook.
Raise the log with the hitch and put the grab hook on a chain link right above the slip hook.
The slack part of chain then can be slipped into the #2 grab hook so the pulling force comes from the lower 3ph arms.

It is more simple then it sounds and works very well. I can haul 4-5 smaller (5-7") trees at a time and hardly ever had one slip out.

If you can weld or know someone who can it would be easy to fab up something.

Attachments

• 3PH multy tool015 sm.jpg
    3PH multy tool015 sm.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 15,032