Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX23

Default 3-point hitch log skidder

Hi, is anyone familiar with this 3-point hitch log skidder from Smallwoodlottools.com? I plan to use it with by BX23 for thinning my woodlot. I've been making do with chains and the drawbar. Nothing too big, stuff up to a foot in diameter. Thanks, Rusty
    here is the link
    Small Wood Lot Tools

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L 3400DT

Default Re: 3-point hitch log skidder

Hello
    For no more than there is to it they sure are proud of it.
    I wouldn't be hard to rig one up with more versatility.
    1.An Omni Hitch with the boom attachment and logging tongs from Northern
    2. A quick hitch and Logging tongs.
    3. Build your own set up similar to theirs.
    These could be used for more than just skidding.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_X485, JD_425, JD_455, JD_110

Just Bill's #2 is what I use. And tossing the logging tongs on the quick hitch is better than a dedicated attachment on the 3 ph. I think

But have fun with it, regardless. Would like to see some pics with some good size logs on it.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5000DT

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty4242 View Post
    Hi, is anyone familiar with this 3-point hitch log skidder from Smallwoodlottools.com? I plan to use it with by BX23 for thinning my woodlot. I've been making do with chains and the drawbar. Nothing too big, stuff up to a foot in diameter. Thanks, Rusty
    here is the link
    Small Wood Lot Tools
    This is just my opinion, but the smallwoodlottools device seems to be quite an expensive attachment to purchase unless you're moving lots and lots of logs. Using a drawbar and chains is the way I've always done it. And I'd use the money "saved" for another type of attachment. However, if you're moving lots of logs, I could see where this attachment might be more convenient than a drawbar and chains.
    Kubota MX5000DT

Tractor
    Kabota BX2350

Looks like a nice set up. I modeled mine after one I saw in northern, but now you are giving me more Ideas!
    BX2350, FEL, 54"mmm, 6' Woods rake, Kubota/GB 667 tiller, keenan Innovations weight box, Ripper and Log Dawg skidder!

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

I agree that an inexpensive boom pole and some tongs should do about the same for half the price. It does look well made, just too expensive for the number of logs I harvest.

MarkV

Tractor
    Kubota B2601

Here is the one from Northern Tool that was previously hinted at.

Norwood Log Hog Log Skidder Tractor Attachment, Model# 41255 Log Hog | Log Skidding | Northern Tool + Equipment

Not much cheaper than the one you listed though and like others have said probably not worth the $$ unless you are skidding lots of logs.
    Kubota B2601 w/FEL & Q/A, 54" bucket,, snow plow, Bradco Pallet Forks, EA Grapple, EA Pine Straw Rake, Titan Stump Bucket, Titan 3pt pallet forks, Titan trailer mover, Turfco Aerator and Land Pride Pulverizer.
    ---------------------------
    Ferris Evolution 52" ZTR
    --------------------------
    Stihl stuff

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    B3030

It seems to work well for logs that you can easily get to. It looks to be well made and well thought out. But, what about logs that are laying by a stump so you can't back straight up to it? Where there is a log there is usually a stump close by. Still hard to beat a chain with a slip hook on one end and a grab hook on the other. Add a grab hook on the tractor drawbar so you take up the slack in the chain and you have a simple system that will move a lot of logs. Works even better if you have it attached to the 3PTH so you can lift the front of the log.

Here is a picture of my setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3-point hitch log skidder-img_1722-jpg   3-point hitch log skidder-img_1724-jpg   3-point hitch log skidder-img_1905-jpg   3-point hitch log skidder-img_1908-jpg  

Tractor
    Kabota BX2350

At last look I just watch the video, This time I actually saw the price ouch. I have about $12 (for pins) and 45min. In mine before the paint. The tongs are nice but for the most part I use the chains!
    BX2350, FEL, 54"mmm, 6' Woods rake, Kubota/GB 667 tiller, keenan Innovations weight box, Ripper and Log Dawg skidder!

Tractor
    Kubota B7800

This is what I use. The upper #1 hooks do the lifting and the lower #2 hooks do the pulling. I use chains with a slip hook on one end that allows the chain to loop around and tighten onto the log. A grab hook on the other end.

The steps are:
    Loop the chain around log and hook it to #1 upper hook.
    Raise the log with the hitch and put the grab hook on a chain link right above the slip hook.
    The slack part of chain then can be slipped into the #2 grab hook so the pulling force comes from the lower 3ph arms.

It is more simple then it sounds and works very well. I can haul 4-5 smaller (5-7") trees at a time and hardly ever had one slip out.

If you can weld or know someone who can it would be easy to fab up something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3-point hitch log skidder-3ph-multy-tool015-sm-jpg  
    It's the going that counts not the distance!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast