service man. or parts man.

/ service man. or parts man. #1  

kongmen

Bronze Member
Tractor
L3600 Kubota
Getting ready to order one of these manuals. If I remember correctly the service man. has to do with trouble shooting and the parts man. shows where everything is located. Anyone have either or both of these? Which one would be most useful for showing how to replace parts when bad (like a Haynes manual)? Thanks.

Last edited:
   / service man. or parts man. #2  
Have they changed the names of the manuals?:confused: I had both the Workshop Manual and the Illistrated Parts List for my B2710. I don't know whether you would say one was better than the other, but they sure went well together.

/ service man. or parts man.
Here is what Messick's says about these manuals.

"Every dealership has a library of books that explains how to diagnose and repair each specific tractor. The service manual explains exactly how to perform complicated procedures like replacing an engine or tearing down a transmission. The service manual does not show how things are assembled, this is left to the parts manual. Ideally a parts and service manual should be used in tandem."

The parts manual is $49 and the service manual is $135. I guess this statement answers my question (I should get both) but I would like to get real world opinions from folks like you.

/ service man. or parts man. #4  
...and I love how folks squawk about how expensive the manuals are, consider that the price you pay for the manuals are equivalent to the first 2-3 hrs of diagnostic time at the shop, then you have to pay for the repair time as well.

Thats not even factoring transportation to get said machine to a repair facility.

I'm not aiming this at anyone in particular, just saying the cost of the manuals is money well spent, especially if it keeps you from having to involve a repair facility for something simple.

Parts manuals are available on line for free, repair manuals, not so much...

as for the OP's original question, BOTH manuals are a must have.

/ service man. or parts man. #5  
...and I love how folks squawk about how expensive the manuals are, consider that the price you pay for the manuals are equivalent to the first 2-3 hrs of diagnostic time at the shop, then you have to pay for the repair time as well.

Thats not even factoring transportation to get said machine to a repair facility.

I'm not aiming this at anyone in particular, just saying the cost of the manuals is money well spent, especially if it keeps you from having to involve a repair facility for something simple.

Eventually you get used to that on this board. Tractors should never break, when they do, they should be under warranty, whether it is a current model or not, regardless of age or hours. There should never be additional charges for service calls or pick-up and delivery fees. If one does have to order parts they should get them at the manufacturers cost and the freight charges should be free.

I guess I shouldn't limit it to this board, it can be tractor owners in general at times. I had a customer years ago come to me wanting Kubota's corporate phone number. He had a B6000, which even then, I don't think Kubota had built in 20 years, but he wanted to call them to complain about the design of the pressure plate and wanted them to redesign it. He took it personally when I tried to explain to him that Kubota was not going to redesign the pressure plate because he thought it was a bad design. That they had built thousands of that machine and similar machines with that design, with very few, if any, problems, and that if he wanted a newer design pressure plate he should consider a newer design tractor. He basically called me a dumb kid that didn't know what I was talking about, and the service manager spent at least 1/2 an hour calming him down holding his hand.

Back to the original question. You should have both. Kubota does not write their workshop manuals for the do-it-yourselfer. They can be vague at times for even the dealership mechanics. All of the information is there, but don't expect it to be - remove this bolt, and then this bolt, and then the other bolt when you want it to be. When they do give step-by-step directions it can be for complete disassembly which typically means you will take more things apart than necessary for the repair you are making. The pictures in the workshop manuals can be lacking and very two dimensional which is where the parts manual will help give you a 3-dimensional view and more detail.

Brian

/ service man. or parts man. #6  
Buy the Repair manuals and get the parts manual for free off line. If you get the free parts manual it will be in PDF format and you can print it off again and again. I wish the service manuals were PDF for the same reasons. Here is a good place to get the free parts manual. TRACTOR SMART Fill out the form and add all of your implements that are Kubota and in a few days the will send you a link to a down load site and you can load a free manual.

/ service man. or parts man. #7  

Well said!!:thumbsup:

/ service man. or parts man. #8  
I had the WSM "Work Shop Manual" for my B7200, but didn't have the parts manual. I do a lot of my own work on my equipment and vehicals and I am very comfortable doing so. The thing I used the WSM most for was, it gives tolerances for wear and torque specs for most of the major bolts and it also shows the hydraulics very well, actually it covers the whole tractor very well. I had never worked on a diesel before, but had no problems putting new rings in my B7200. My dealer tried to discourage me from it, but it was still running fine/better after 5yrs and about 140 hrs when I sold it. I think I did alright. Especially since he wanted to only give me $1500 for trade for a tractor I just paid $6000 for, or $3000 for full engine rebuild. I found my problem (caused by previous owner) and fixed it for only about $150. I guess my WSM has definetly paid for itself. Once again I will say I am very comfortable and used to working on things. Don't expect a WSM to suddenly turn you into a mechanic, but a WSM can be vital if you do your own work. If you plan on keeping your tractor for the long haul and plan on doing your own work I would say the WSM is a must and evidently the parts manual would be a plus as well (I have never seen one of the parts manuals yet). I will be getting a WSM for my B2620 here in the near future. I got my WSM from my local dealer for a good price, I think it was only $70 about 7 years ago.