Steering Cylinder

/ Steering Cylinder #1  

bradharley

I have a Kubota BX1850 which I bought used (2yrs old) shortly after I bought it I noticed the steering cylinder had pressed itself out of the mounting brackets. I took it apart, straightened the brackets and reassembled it. Have had to do this 3 more times since. Tried adjusting the steering stops to allow it to turn farther, bu nochange. Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas on what the problem is?

/ Steering Cylinder #2  
I have a Kubota BX1850 which I bought used (2yrs old) shortly after I bought it I noticed the steering cylinder had pressed itself out of the mounting brackets. I took it apart, straightened the brackets and reassembled it. Have had to do this 3 more times since. Tried adjusting the steering stops to allow it to turn farther, bu nochange. Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas on what the problem is?

I have never seen it or heard of it, but I doubt it had to do with the stops.
Either there is some failing in your bracket system which makes it unable to hold the cylinder properly, or your cylinder is developing too much force.

The power steering system has pressure relief devices integrated into them to limit the max steering force that can be supplied. I am not sure if this is adjustable.

/ Steering Cylinder #3  
I think I would check the pressure relief setting on the hydraulic control valve. I have a BX1500 and the relief is adjustable by shims.

/ Steering Cylinder #4  
I'm having a problem with wandering of the front wheels, and have the seal kit to rebuild the cylinder. Just have to heal up a bit after knee surgery last week. In looking at my work shop manual for my BX22 and it shows what's called an "internal snap ring" on both sides of the cylinder which I believe keep it in place within the brackets. This snap ring is on the cyl. inside of the mounting brackets, and if missing will allow the cyl. to move as you have described. To replace this ring, if it is missing, you need to disconnect the hyd. lines and remove the cylinder holder brackets in order to remove the complete cyl. assembly and install those internal snap rings. Then reassemble the cyl. with the brackets and this should stop the problem. The part number I have for my tractor is K2561-16530. Now, I'm no expert on these tractors, and most of the time I'm scratching my head in wonder over some of these problems, but it's worth a shot. Again, I have a BX22, so I'm not sure what if any differences there may be between a BX22 and a BX1850 and their respective part numbers. I would check this out first before doing anything "major", like taking it to a dealer and spending money for something you could possibly do yourself. If in fact this is the same solution for your tractor, I'd be happy to email you the wsm pages (2 or 3) on this. I do have a copy of the parts manual for my BX22 that I downloaded from Tractorsmart years ago. I'm not sure if they are still allowing the download from their site, but you should be able to find it somewhere on the internet. The parts manual alone was a great help to me. If I can be of any help, don't hesitate to post. I'm off work for a while with the knee thing, so maybe I'll be able to get to this site a bit more often. Hope this helps.

/ Steering Cylinder #5  
I noticed the same thing developing on my 300 hour BX2230. Hasn't gotten to the point of being a bother, but I may either bend the brackets back or put some shims in just to keep it from wiggling around.