Shuttle Shift Agravation

/ Shuttle Shift Agravation #1  

E/S

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540HDC12-1 4x4 w/ Cab
My M8540 HDC has developed a problem at less than 1 year old and 175 hrs on it.
When using the hydraulic shuttle shift a lot doing loader work it suddenly will not engage, leaving it at a dead stop. I have changed gears, direction and range with no results. The dealer is checking into it but I am looking for ideas, got any suggestions ?

E/S

/ Shuttle Shift Agravation #3  
My 9540 is in the shop right now for what sounds like the same issue, The tractor would either not move or hesitate to move. It also has never pulled like you would think it should. I brought it in before the warranty expired and the dealer ran it through its paces and notified me that it was an operational issue, Well it turns out that I needed them to bring it in for another issue, branch through radiator, and when the guy went to put it on the truck it just sat there. I explained to him that you needed to put it in gear first, let out the clutch and then use the shuttle to make it move. He said bulls$it. In fact we needed to put it into a lower gear and play with it to load. The dealer found a recent service bulletin for this issue that involves a test procedure to test a valve function. He is a little hesitant to do the procedure with out help from the factory rep. Should happen next week. I hope this isn't a serious issue with this series.

Cary

/ Shuttle Shift Agravation
My 9540 is in the shop right now for what sounds like the same issue, The tractor would either not move or hesitate to move. It also has never pulled like you would think it should. I brought it in before the warranty expired and the dealer ran it through its paces and notified me that it was an operational issue, Well it turns out that I needed them to bring it in for another issue, branch through radiator, and when the guy went to put it on the truck it just sat there. I explained to him that you needed to put it in gear first, let out the clutch and then use the shuttle to make it move. He said bulls$it. In fact we needed to put it into a lower gear and play with it to load. The dealer found a recent service bulletin for this issue that involves a test procedure to test a valve function. He is a little hesitant to do the procedure with out help from the factory rep. Should happen next week. I hope this isn't a serious issue with this series.

Cary

Please let me know how it turns out, I will do the same.

E/S

/ Shuttle Shift Agravation #5  
Sure will.

/ Shuttle Shift Agravation #6  
I also had an issue with the hydraulic shuttle shifting on my M8540 with less than 200 hours. Initially I noticed that it required a little more force to move the lever. Then I had two situations where I had the front end of the tractor down hill, and I moved the shuttle to reverse and nothing happened. I cycled it one or more times and it then engaged.
Dealer fixed the issue under warranty, new cable and adjustment and the shuttle is silky smooth and works perfectly.

/ Shuttle Shift Agravation #7  
Thanks for the info Piller. I'm sure hoping mine is something simple.

Cary

Thanks for the info Piller. I'm sure hoping mine is something simple.

Cary

Yes, thanks !

I hope both of ours is that easy .

E/S

/ Shuttle Shift Agravation #9  
Stopped by the dealer today. They still haven't been able to get the SE region super tech to come by and teach them the diagnostic/repair procedure for this issue. He actually wrote the procedure and also teaches repair classes to the mechanics. This makes three weeks that the tractor has been at the dealership. About all I can do is be patient. I did not purchase the tractor from this dealer, so I am probably in the penalty box. I gave them last shot at the price when I purchased, but there was a 6k spread. When I stopped in the service manger reminded me that this is the busiest season of the year (hay). I wanted to remind him that when I brought it in a few months ago things were slow, but they told me that the tractor was fine and the issue was my operating method. (Wrong). I am practicing my best Dale Carnegie training, you know, if you want to collect honey don't kick over the beehive. I will give them one more week and if nothing happens I may haul the tractor to the dealership that I purchased at.

Cary

I talked to my dealer earlier in the week, they think mine has a problem with the micro switches. They are still doing research ( haying season here too ).

I noticed today while digging post holes as the hydraulic fluid heated up ( even sitting still ) that it hesitated a few times, worked OK cold. I am beginning to think mine is a control valve issue.

E/S