Bevel gear case gears trashed, need help.

/ Bevel gear case gears trashed, need help. #1  

roughstock

Ive got a m5700 with 450 hrs. the front axle started making noise and binding up. Pulled bevel gear case apart and the lower most bearing is destroyed, the ring gear is completely destroyed, and other gears r not much better.

Is this from too much loader work, too much time in 4wd, bad design?

Where can I get cheaper parts? Dealer wants 600 for each ring gear,
it'll be over a 1000 to fix each side.

Any one been this route before.
Thanks
BTW, this is my first post. Great site

/ Bevel gear case gears trashed, need help. #2  
Ive got a m5700 with 450 hrs. the front axle started making noise and binding up. Pulled bevel gear case apart and the lower most bearing is destroyed, the ring gear is completely destroyed, and other gears r not much better.

Where can I get cheaper parts? Dealer wants 600 for each ring gear,
it'll be over a 1000 to fix each side.

Any one been this route before.
Thanks
BTW, this is my first post. Great site

I have not had any such problems, and have read very few threads with similar issues, but it obviously happens occasionally. To give the experts more to work with, you might want to give them a bit more information, such as....

What lubricant are you using in front axle? Do you keep it changed and checked per maintenance schedule? Had it been dripping lubricant? Has it been run without proper lubricant level?

Are both sides damaged or just one? Why would you replace gears on one side that has no damage, if that is the case? ...

Do you run 4wd on hard surfaces? Are you doing anything that would put unusual, consistent and extreme load on the front axle?

It is possible a bearing failed and took out gear? I am guessing you did not feel or hear any operational difference and used it quite a bit as the bearing was going out.

As far as parts, one good source is TractorSmart home page

Another is Messick's | Dealer for New Holland, Case IH, Kubota, Cub Cadet and More | Online Parts, Sales & Service.

Do you have pictures?

/ Bevel gear case gears trashed, need help. #3  

Welcome to TBN:D

Could be YES to both questions, if using 4WD on hard packed/paved surfaces the front axle will definetly bind up. Also if using the FEL without proper ballast on the rear-then the front axle takes to much weight and ends up driving the tractor when the rear wheels are light, something it is/was never designed to do.

/ Bevel gear case gears trashed, need help. #4  
Baling twine taking out seal causing lubricant loss. Wheel fell off while if field. Returned to barn by placing FEL on ground flat and using reverse and L and R brake to steer.

Reversed wheels to wide position in front causing more loading on outside bearing and stress on housing. Replaced bearings and two cracked housings.

My failures have been my fault. I can honestly say that for over 5000 hours I have not had a failure that I cannot attribute to a mistake on my part. This little tractor is about bulletproof if you know it's limits.

/ Bevel gear case gears trashed, need help. #5  
My failures have been my fault. I can honestly say that for over 5000 hours I have not had a failure that I cannot attribute to a mistake on my part. This little tractor is about bulletproof if you know it's limits.

A rare example of candor from an owner that understands all equipment has limitations.

Thank you very much.

/ Bevel gear case gears trashed, need help.
Ive got pictures. This tractor isnt mine. Its at work. so we have people who dont always care about how they operate it. It is usually in 4wd or it is loading/unloading trucks.
Not sure what oil they were running, but left side looked like liquid metal when I drained it.
Right side looked good and clear, but had some glitter in it. This side is not near as bad, but the wear surface on teeth is showing wear, so Ill prob just replace all bearings and gears.

This tractor doesnt leak a drop of fluid, so lack of lube doesnt seem to be the problem.

Does the M9000 have same front axle? We have 4 of those and they are not having any problems. Im thinking that part of problem is not having enough rear weight to distribute the load of lifting.
I'll post picts later.

/ Bevel gear case gears trashed, need help. #7  
I would think it could have been a case of abuse. Probably using 4wd on pavement or cement while doing loader work or something like that. Unfortunately being work equipment used by several people it's hard to know for sure.

My GF burnt up the rear end of a Trailblazer because she got stuck in snow and just spun the wheels for quite some time (she said she didn't). A few weeks later the said the rear end made a large bang when backing up but she was able to drive home. She fused the spider gears on the shaft they spin on. The cast pinion spool split in half because with the two spiders welded to the shaft it both axles were locked together. The fluid level was fine and I reused all the bearings and R&P because they looked fine. My point is people do weird things and usually don't like to admit they did something wrong or worse don't know they ever did.