Loader Problem mounting FEL

/ Problem mounting FEL #1  

BeezFun

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
New problem mounting my FEL: When I tried to mount FEL I noticed the boom cylinders were extended by different amounts, see photo. One is extended about 2-3" more than the other. If I connect the FEL to the control valve (with FEL dismounted) and cycle the boom cylinders, they stay2-3" out of alignment until one fully contracts, then the other one finishes contracting. But when I extend them, one begins extending first, the other one doesn't move until the first one has extended about 2-3".

If I put FEL in float position (with FEL dismounted) I can manually contract one cylinder, which forces the other one to extend until they line up. But as soon as I try to cycle the cylinders again they get out of alignment.

So I managed to mount the FEL by pushing on one side with the frame. I get it all attached and cycle the boom and everything seems fine, so I dismount it and the boom cylinders are lined up. But as soon as I cycle the boom cylinders (with loader dismounted so there's no load on cylinders), they get out of alignment again.

What's causing this, it makes it really hard to mount the FEL?
thanks

Attachments

• Tractor FEL problem 002.jpg
    Tractor FEL problem 002.jpg
    708.3 KB · Views: 273
   / Problem mounting FEL #2  
One side has more resistance than the other. You might get lucky and just be able to lube the pins, or not. It really isn't that big of a deal. It is rare that both cylinders will have the same amount of resistance and hydralic fluid will always take the path of least resistance.

Brian

/ Problem mounting FEL #3  
Something is leaking or bleeding. When I take my FEL off I lift it out of the pins while the tractor is running. Then I shut the tractor off and cycle the hydraulic control stick in every direction with the hoses hooked up until all movement quits. This completely bleeds all the pressure from the cylinders and seals. If your cylinders get out of time while the tractor is still running I would think it would be in the tractor control valve. If the cylinders get out of time while the loader is sitting I would think a cylinder is bleeding off.

/ Problem mounting FEL #4  
The FEL on my BX has been like that since new. Never gave it much thought... doesn't really affect operation in any way.

For re-attaching, I just retract the lift cyls. all the way in and then pull the tractor forward a few additional inches, so the FEL brackets on the tractor are snug up to the FEL mounting arms on both sides. That way the tractor prevents either mounting arm from extending out of synch with the other one and the FEL mounting arms can be adjusted to drop into proper position normally.

/ Problem mounting FEL #5  
The FEL on my BX has been like that since new. Never gave it much thought... doesn't really affect operation in any way.

For re-attaching, I just retract the lift cyls. all the way in and then pull the tractor forward a few additional inches, so the FEL brackets on the tractor are snug up to the FEL mounting arms on both sides. That way the tractor prevents either mounting arm from extending out of synch with the other one and the FEL mounting arms can be adjusted to drop into proper position normally.

It shouldn't be that way. Mounting my FEL is crisp and clean. It's easier to mount my FEL than any other attachment I have.

/ Problem mounting FEL
One side has more resistance than the other. You might get lucky and just be able to lube the pins, or not. It really isn't that big of a deal. It is rare that both cylinders will have the same amount of resistance and hydralic fluid will always take the path of least resistance.

Brian

Yes, this is what I thought. They both move freely, as evidenced by the fact that I can cycle them manually (with a little help from a 2x4 lever) when they are in float position. I'll try to make sure I only roll the bucket when I dismount the FEL. I guess I'll just have to bump the one side with the frame as I mount it. I have a dirt floor so there really isn't much resistance to push against, it tends to move the loader crooked before I can mount it. Maybe I need to pound a few stakes in the ground for it to bump up against to stay straight.

/ Problem mounting FEL #7  
Rare, but a loose piston inside the cylinder that lags is possible, but doubt it.

Is the amount of 'lag' always the same ?

Once the one that lags starts to move, does it move the same speed as the other the rest of the way ?

/ Problem mounting FEL #9  
Yes, this is what I thought. They both move freely, as evidenced by the fact that I can cycle them manually (with a little help from a 2x4 lever) when they are in float position. I'll try to make sure I only roll the bucket when I dismount the FEL. I guess I'll just have to bump the one side with the frame as I mount it. I have a dirt floor so there really isn't much resistance to push against, it tends to move the loader crooked before I can mount it. Maybe I need to pound a few stakes in the ground for it to bump up against to stay straight.

One of the biggest reasons I went to a CUT was the quick attach loader. I can put it on or take it off in less than five minutes. And I do this a lot because it is so easy to do. No tools, no hassle. If you are fighting the mounting and dismounting of the loader you have lost the major feature of the CUT.

/ Problem mounting FEL #10  
My LA211 does this a lot too. Normally, after getting into position, one would engage "Dump" to lower the arms into engaged position. If they are too low, and/or out of alignment with each other, some adjustment is needed. Before connecting the hoses, you can bring them into alignment simply by pushing on the one that is extended the most; the pressure going in will force the other one out. Once the hoses are connected, if the arms are not extended enough, push the lever to the "Up" position. This will make them move back toward the mounts. If one contacts first, it will stop while the other continues, then makes contact.

If they become too far extended, you will need to retract them by putting the lever to "Down" which will pull them back toward the loader (they may retract one at a time, or not at the same rate). Ease the tractor forward, then go to "Up" again to move them back toward the tractor. When they are correctly aligned, use the "Dump" position to engage the end of the arms with the sleeve.

Last edited: