BX2230 Power Steering Issue

/ BX2230 Power Steering Issue #1  

oldebuttonwood

I mowed for about 2 hours on my BX2230, turned off the tractor for about 15 minutes and when I restarted it, I was pretty sure the front tires didn't turn when I first turned the steering wheel. It seems to have quickly fixed itself as it worked fine to park it in the barn. I started it the next morning and it seemed to work fine. Anyone else ever have this problem? What may be causing it? My tractor has about 1250hrs on it (I've only had it for the last 150 hrs). There is fluid leak that is coming from the front axle pivot point but that has been there since I got the tractor.

/ BX2230 Power Steering Issue #2  
It could be your steering cylinder. That is the most common problem but it could be the diverter valve because of the inconsistantcy.

/ BX2230 Power Steering Issue #3  
When the O-rings on the steering ram wear-out, the steering wheel starts to turn without affecting the actual steering. It can be dependent on temperature or ram position. If that's it, will progressively worsen, OK to use in the meantime. If it's the O-rings, not a horrible fix and there are a few write-ups here.

Front axle pivot is different altogether. Take cotter pin out of that castellated nut and make sure it's snug. The spec torque is very low and manual actually says to adjust it so it takes 25# of force (applied at a wheel) to move the pivot. A little leakage doesn't hurt, just keep your front axle oil filled as-necessary. You might want to just change to gear oil next interval if it has UDT in axle now. Gear oil is cheaper and a little less likely to leak.

/ BX2230 Power Steering Issue
Thanks for the replies. I did find a couple of write ups on changing the o-rings and I was kinda hoping that was all my problem was.

My steering ball joints are very loose. I don't really mind this unless I am hurting something else by driving this way. Am I?

When I bought the tractor, I changed all the fluids and added gear oil to the front axle. The leak seems to have drained about 1/4 qt after about 9 hours of mowing. That doesn't seem too excessive does it?

/ BX2230 Power Steering Issue #5  
When I bought the tractor, I changed all the fluids and added gear oil to the front axle. The leak seems to have drained about 1/4 qt after about 9 hours of mowing. That doesn't seem too excessive does it?

That probably isn't all leakage. It takes a while (several hours running) for the lube to work its way down through the bevel gears. Pretty routine to have to top it off.