Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota X 4

Default Re: Hydraulic power for 3 pt log splitter

If you are going to split real big stuff, Speeco makes a 3 point splitter that goes horizontal or vertical and is around 22ton or so. Problem with these small tractors is the low gpm makes it slow. I have a Speeco 34 ton spliter that is self powered and does a good job. I use the BX to tow it around and to move the rounds onto the splitter, have done up over 48 incher doug firs before without a problem, once you get one cracked it is easy from there.

David Kb7uns
    Grand L3130GST LA723 Loader, ATI grapple, ATI grapple bucket, WR Long front remote, Kubota rear remotes, Bradco 408 Backhoe with thumb, 60"KK brush hog, 60" RM Finish Mower, Speeco Post Auger, 72" KK rear blade, 60" box blade
    BX2230 LA211, RCK60, GCK60 Bagger,42"Land Pride Tiller, XB BB, XB RB, rake, Fimco 3PT sprayer
    G2160 RCK60 Mower
    RTV1100 Orange, Work Lights, Front Rear Winch,Rear Screen, High Mount air cleaner, water seperator
    2010 Polaris RZR 800 S
    2007 CAN AM Outlander 800 LTD

Tractor
    Kubota l4400

I don't know what is considered fast or slow but the split-fire on my L4400 was splitting as fast as I wanted to work.

Interesting posts about various splitters and how well they work, but nobody has really given me much help on how to add hydraulic ports to the back of my BX to use one. Can anybody help?

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX1500

Here's what I did:
    I have a BX1500, and I bought a 3pt splitter from Northern. I don't think they sell the model any more. But, it's a 3pt, vert/horz. Heavy. I need to put ballast in the FEL when it's attached.

I bought almost 8 feet of hose, and hooked it to the FEL ports. I disconnect the FEL hoses, and put these in instead (replacing the "loop" that goes on when the FEL is not attached). Then, when I'm done, I shut down the tractor, and put the FEL hoses back in place. I leave the FEL up a bit, and lock it, so I can move the tractor and splitter around the pile as I work.

It would be better to add a remote on the rear, but for the few hours I split each year, it's not a high priority for me.

I really like being able to raise and lower the splitter. For big logs, I lower it and roll them on. But most of the time, I leave it at a comfortable working height.

From what I can tell reading this board, acceptable log splitter speed is all over the map.
    My splitter is slow with the 3.x GPM pump in the BX. But, I've found it runs fast enough for me to keep working for a few hours. I don't wait for it much, and it doesn't wait for me much. If you're 25, or have help, and in good shape, you'd hate it. If you're past 40, move a little slower, work alone, and don't like to sweat too much, it's not a problem.

If you're afraid you need a faster splitter, you probably do, and will be disappointed. I decided I'd gamble, and am quite happy with it.

I don't off-hand have a stroke speed measurement.

Thanks for the reply BXrick. My FEL has 4 quick connect ports, no loop when disconnected. I don't believe any of them would have flow unless the joystick is moved in one direction or another. As far as speed goes, I am not interested in rushing to keep up with the splitter, I'm in the later age group you mention plus 20.

Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Read this thread on adding rear remotes to a BX, other than a BX24/25. Best option out there and what I did.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...t-install.html

I use one set of remotes for a hydraulic top link and I do use the other to run the small Powerhorse 3PH splitter. If you're not splitting cords and cords of wood each winter, or white oak, this unit is well matched to the GPM that the BX delivers.

I really need to get some pic's of the splitter in action. This is from when I installed it last year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -powerhorse-splitter-1-jpg  
    Chris

2 acres and a mule, er, Kubota BX25, and too many other toys,er, tools to list.

Tractor
    Kubota BX 25

I had a BX 1850 with a SpeeCo log splitter that I hooked up to the fel hydraulics. I hooked into the red and blue and had a bungy cord from the steering wheel to the control lever.It worked great for me,it is a bit slow,but it does the job.I just traded the 1850 for a BX 25 which I just got the other day,but haven't tried the log splitter on that yet.I'll let you know how it works on that machine once I use it.

Tractor
    Kubota L3010DT, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Quote Originally Posted by David_Kb7uns View Post
    If you are going to split real big stuff, Speeco makes a 3 point splitter that goes horizontal or vertical and is around 22ton or so. Problem with these small tractors is the low gpm makes it slow. I have a Speeco 34 ton spliter that is self powered and does a good job. I use the BX to tow it around and to move the rounds onto the splitter, have done up over 48 incher doug firs before without a problem, once you get one cracked it is easy from there.

David Kb7uns
    When using the tractor hydraulics be careful what you use as a tonnage spec. No matter what the splitter spec says if you have a 4" cylinder
    and 2000 to 2500 psi from your tractor your tonnage will be 12.5 to 15.5
    ton. ( Pi X R X R X psi )
    "If you're not making any mistakes then you're not doing anything"

L3010DT, Farmi JL290 Winch, ATI Grapple, BearCat 5" Chipper, 6' Rear Blade,
    7' Sickle Bar, 5' Land Plane Grading Scraper, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Tractor
    Kubota B7800

Quote Originally Posted by CHDinCT View Post
    Read this thread on adding rear remotes to a BX, other than a BX24/25. Best option out there and what I did.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...t-install.html

I use one set of remotes for a hydraulic top link and I do use the other to run the small Powerhorse 3PH splitter. If you're not splitting cords and cords of wood each winter, or white oak, this unit is well matched to the GPM that the BX delivers.

I really need to get some pic's of the splitter in action. This is from when I installed it last year.
    This is exactly what I want to do (same Powerhorse and everything). maybe a couple questions for you???

1) How long did you need to make the hoses from the spliter to the QD's?
    2) What diameter hose did you use (and I assume you used 3/8" QD's)?
    3) Is one of your QD's a power beyond circuit and one a valve actuated?
    4) How was the tie in? Easy? Cost?

Thanks!

-JM

Silver Member
    Tractor
    kubota B7800, Kubota T1570

I had a splitter on a BX2230 which ran off of the hydraulic quick disconnects for the fel. It will work, but you have to be careful. If you can lock out your joystick while splitting, do so. If you cant, be sure not to use it, as the loop for the hydraulic fluid no longer exists when the splitter is hooked up to the system, and this would not be healthy for your tractors hydraulic pump. You will also have to have 2 hoses made up with the rated pressure requirements for the hydraulic system. Lastly, you will need to buy quick disconnects for the hoses you make up for the splitter, and they have to be kubota fittings, available at your dealer. (a little pricey). It sounds like a lot, but is really not when you consider how much time and effort you will save. I have since sold my 2230, and now use a B7800 for the splitter. The cycle time going from a 3gpm pump to a 9gpm pump is a lot better, but the 3 gpm pump did work just fine. Hope this helps.
    Pat
    P.S. Make the hoses two feet longer than you think you need.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast