3-Point Hitch Hydraulic power for 3 pt log splitter

/ Hydraulic power for 3 pt log splitter #1  

rick480

Bronze Member
I have a BX 1860 with a FEL. Can anyone tell if this tractor would be suitable for a small 3 point log splitter and if so where would I hook the hydraulic hoses?

Could they be connected to the hydraulic quick connects for the FEL or would I have to add ports at the back of the tractor somehow?

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic power for 3 pt log splitter #2  
youd have to add a power beyond to the rear. if you brought somewhere to have it done it probobly cost a couple hundred bucks.

/ Hydraulic power for 3 pt log splitter #3  
You can use the ports for the FEL, and just use a bungee cord to hold the joystick down so you have continuous flow to the splitter.

BUT, with the amount of flow (GPM) on your machine, it will be painfully slow.

/ Hydraulic power for 3 pt log splitter #4  
I have a Split-fire brand 3-point splitter on an L4400 and with it splitting both ways I don't have any problem with the speed of the splitter. It really makes a difference not having a dead return stroke.

/ Hydraulic power for 3 pt log splitter #5  
splits both ways? got any pictures?

/ Hydraulic power for 3 pt log splitter #8  
pretty decsent idea but cant be as strong as a coventinal splitter with the ram behind the head.

/ Hydraulic power for 3 pt log splitter #9  
I looked at the two way splitters but I find I usually split the large chucks 6 to 8 times. I'll split them, rotate them, then split them again. Kind of defeats the purpose of the duel action. The Northern one and the smaller split fire ones may be kind of small for larger diameter or tough wood. 13 tons sounds a little light but I have never used one so maybe it's fine. The larger Split Fire models say 10 to 20 gpm is recommended.

/ Hydraulic power for 3 pt log splitter #10  
I was splitting oak that was 34 inch diameter with the split-fire. Just split a chunk off tip the rest over to the other side then split on the return stroke. I thought it was much easier than the conventional that I have used. Also being on the 3-point I was able to lower it almost down to ground level for getting the big stuff on it to split. On smaller stuff having the unit up to a level where I wasn't bending over to work it was real nice. I looked at the northern unit but in my opinion it isn't half as well built as the split-fire. I have the 3203 model and am able to split oak right thru the crotch with no problem.