Metal Shavings On Hydraulic Filter

/ Metal Shavings On Hydraulic Filter #1  

kcender

Platinum Member
Tractor
GR2120 B2650 Cab
I was talking to a guy at work today who just did the 50 hour service on his L3400.When he removed the hydraulic filter apparently it had quite a bit of metal shavings and filings on it.I did'nt see the filter but the owner was quite concerned with the amount of metal he found.He called his dealer and the service guy told him this was normal for a new machine and that is why the filter has a magnet on it.I am now curious to see what I will find when I change the hydraulic filter for the first time on my L3240.Just wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience with a hydraulic filter change.

/ Metal Shavings On Hydraulic Filter #2  
Yep, those magnets are there for a reason. They also catch a lot more stuff than a screen so it really can look bad.

The real question is what does the second service show on the magnet. It will likely be dark with what almost looks like soot but the big chunks should have been picked up on the first service.

/ Metal Shavings On Hydraulic Filter #3  
I saw the same thing on a JD 52* when I helped the owner due the 50 hour service. The filter was covered with what looked like white lithium grease and shiny specs that could have been steel or aluminum. I am not saying this is good but since most hydraulic systems are now the tranny fluid it is probably not that uncommon. Gears wear, etc..

Roy

/ Metal Shavings On Hydraulic Filter #4  
Thats why it's good to have a filter on the in side of the pump!

/ Metal Shavings On Hydraulic Filter #6  
Mine had a few drill chips, and a kind of sooty looking paste over the magnet, which is the result of the machine marks wearing off the gears, etc.

When you consider the oil cleans and flushes the entire inside of the transmission housing, brakes, and hydraulics, it's to be expected. Unless the manufacturer does a thorough flush on the entire system before the tractor leaves the assembly line ( I doubt that any do ), any machining debris that gets missed is going to either fall to the bottom of the housing or get caught on the magnet or filter.

Like art said, the suction side is the best place for the filter in this case.

I may add magnets to some of the drain plugs in the transmission when I do change the hydraulic oil.

Sean

/ Metal Shavings On Hydraulic Filter #7  
I may add magnets to some of the drain plugs in the transmission when I do change the hydraulic oil.

Sean

Another trick is to attach a bar magnet to the filter housing(s). A wrap of good duct tape will keep it there under vibration.

/ Metal Shavings On Hydraulic Filter
I decided to take the hydraulic filter off my L 3240 to have a look.There was some fine metal particles almost like grinding dust and some black paste.I will put a new filter on it tomorrow and top up the fluid I lost with new fluid.I double checked my owners manual and it doesn't require the hydraulic filter to be changed until 400 hours along with new fluid.This seems like a long break in period.I don't think I would want to wait that long.The manual indicates that the transmission filter be changed at 50 hours and every 200 hours after that.I am thinking they both filter the exact same fluid but I am not sure.Maybe this is why the hydraulic filter is not required to be changed until 400 hours.

/ Metal Shavings On Hydraulic Filter #9  
I was talking to a guy at work today who just did the 50 hour service on his L3400.When he removed the hydraulic filter apparently it had quite a bit of metal shavings and filings on it......snip.....Just wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience with a hydraulic filter change.

Yes, that's common. And it is exactly the reason why many experienced mechanics change filters and possibly the oil several times more often than recommended for the first few hundred hours. On the other hand, speaking as an old mechanic myself I don't think I've ever seen an example where I could be sure that frequent oil and filter changes helped anything except the owner's own peace of mind. It's that old riddle of "How do you tell for sure whether a problem has been averted?".

You will also hear a lot of discussion on magnets. Magnets are common as aftermarket devices but are rarely included as OEM by the manufacturers. On those that do, the downsides of magnetic filtration are minimized by putting the magnet on the drain plug or in other low flow positions.
rScotty