Security & Theft Tractor Security

/ Tractor Security #1  

patton

Tractor
JD 1050, Ford 4000
First off, I've never owned a orange tractor. I have had Kubota engines in other products and have a lot of respect for them.

Anyway, I was reading the comments on Mark's dream tractor and though I would throw in my own 2 cents. I would crosspost this to the JD list but I assume that isn't allowed. I have a 1050 that I use on a family member's propery where there is a definite risk of it being stolen. The 1050 can be hotwired with a 3" piece of wire in a few seconds- There is no fuel cutoff solnoid. The key (common to all 1050's) is really only needed to use the lights, fuel gauge or idiot lamps.

I've delt with similar problems in the past with securing tools, buildings. and equipiment, so I had an idea what was available.

I purchased 8 feet of 3/8" square link security chain from McMaster Carr (www.mcmaster.com, PN 36015T3 on page 1180, $8.80/ft). The chain is secured with a Master Lock PN 6327 pro series padlock with 7/16 shrouded shackle ($29 from McMaster, PN 11345A25 on page 2596).

The chain is routed through the wheel, arround the ROPS and fender, through any inplement and locked back to the end. The chain can not be cut with a simple cutting torch, hacksaw, bolt cutters, or power saw. It can be cut with a lot of effort with a 4 1/2" grinder or an abrasive chop saw. The chain barely fits between the ears of the shackle guard, and is so tight that there is no room for a hacksaw to get to the shackle, much less a pair of bolt cutters. To steal the tractor would require a grinder and generator, or disasembling the implement, fender and ROPS (whose bolts are tack welded :))

My equipiment trailer has a pintle hitch, which rules out many thieves already. I use 5 feet or some of the same chain routed through the eye, until it is filled with chain. One would have to cut my lunette eye off (bolts are tack welded), and bolt on their own.

The master lock cylinder from this lock is used in a number of other pro series locks and can be master keyed or re keyed. It is a five pin cylinder and doesn't share keys with the cheap Walmart locks. Still the lock is the weak link. I came across some surplus S&G locks with Medeco cylinders ($50 each from Coleman's Surplus), that I will probally use after I have them keyed alike/

The chain is nearly top of the line but there are 3 better products out there: The same company makes a 7/16" square link chain, but I'm not aware of a US source. Abus (www.abus.com) makes 11 and 12mm hex chain for about twice the cost. The chain has a single oversized link that is used to pass over the other end of the chain. The lock is locked into this link. They have several padlocks with a shackle guard that is tighter than the Master locks to be used with this chain. I have a length of this chain, but it is too short to use with the tractor. It would work with a smaller tractor just fine. Cost of 6' of the 11mm chain with the super duty padlock is $225.

Pat

/ Tractor Security #2  
What makes the chain non-cuttable (pardon my english) with bolt cutters?

/ Tractor Security #3  
Thanks for the info. I have the same problem in that I might buy a tractor before I move to my property and I have been thinking on how to secure the tractor.

I was going to secure the tractor with heavy chain and protect the lock by using a section of steel pipe. Furthermore I was going to get a chain long enough to run through the tractor wheels and wrap around some large trees I have. 30+ diameter inches of tree.

IF I have to buy a tractor before I live on the property I'm going to hide the tractor in the most unaccessable part of the property. I'll put tarps over the tracter/implements and then camo netting over the whole thing. Part of the Tractor HideAway Plan was to move a bunch of downed trees and form a pen for the tractor just to make it harder to find.

Finally I would remove the battery and have the dealer install a hidden cutoff switch on the tractor. Last but not least INSURANCE! :cool:

At least I'm not the only one having to think about these issues!

Thanks for the info.

Dan McCarty

/ Tractor Security #4  
I want to hear this one. Just because they can not get to the chain at the lock... A few years ago dad got some very strong locks and super-duty chain to keep people out of the fields, very hard to cut or shoot off the lock. Their reply was to shoot a 22 down into the key hole freezing it up.

/ Tractor Security #5  
I know it is kind of a hassle but in the past I have used blocks and removed one or both front wheels and taken them with me. I did this in addition to using a chain (which as has been pointed out, no matter how strong a chain and lock, there are ways to cut it). Also, insurance is a very good idea but make sure it will be covered where you are storing it.

/ Tractor Security
The links are hardened, plus of sufficient size. A guy I know tried to cut a piece of the chain with 36" HK Porter bolt cutters with both his weight and a female coworkers all on one side of the handle. He was unsucessiful at doing more than nicking the chain. The bolt cutters were damaged and had to have new jaws.

This stuff is used in europe to secure motorcycles, where motorcycle theft is an art. The square link chain is made in Austria, home to two other of my favorite manufacturers: Glock and Swarovski.

As far as protecting the lock against vandalism, one could put the lock in a sleave of pipe, with a baffle bar located below the pipe to prevent direct access to the keyway. This is SOP for high security military locks. Of course the pipe and baffle bar would have to be welded to a fixed object like the ROPS.

/ Tractor Security #7  
Patton - Would the name of the manufacturer be, by any chance, Pewag? They're the manufacturers of the square link choker chain that works so well. Labonville sells it.

MarkC

/ Tractor Security
Bingo- Actually I am only sure that they are the importer- They may or may not be the manufacturer. I ordered a catalog from Labonville, I'll have to look ar their prices. I usually get chain from AW Direct for big stuff, or from McMaster for small high grade stuff.

The only US made security chain is special lots of Cambell (I think) mid grade chain that is case hardened. DOD uses regular 1/2" grade 50 chain on gates. The 3/8" square link chain is a lot lighter and harder to cut.

/ Tractor Security #9  
I don't think Labonville carries that grade of chain, unless the choker chain qualifies. It would sure be nice if they had it, though, because they're a lot cheaper than AW Direct or McMaster.

MarkC

P.S. I forgot to mention that Pewag is the name of the manufacturer. Check out http://www.pewag.de/com/products/index.html.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by MChalkley on 10/9/00 03:49 PM.</FONT></P>

/ Tractor Security
Actually I meant for chain in general. McMaster is the only one I have seen with the security chain. Thanks for the link.

Pat