Mowing differences between B2320 and BX2360/2660?

/ Mowing differences between B2320 and BX2360/2660? #1  

TigerfaninAR

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2320 FEL, MMM
Boy time flies, construction on our new house should begin in a few months and then I'll have a real yard to mow. Right now have the B7300 at the property with a brush cutter and box blade to keep the grass cut down and spread and level dirt after the dozer left. Just doing that myself has saved a lot of money. The B7300 can do more than I thought it could.

Anyway on to my question. When the house nears completion will need a mower and tractor with FEL (went cheap on the B7300 and now see what you guys mean about the need for a FEL). Will be mowing 3-4 acres. will have 1-2 acres of mostly trees (this is flat cleared land with trees I will continue to brush cut) and then another acre that makes up the house and pond, 7 in total. All land is cleared and flat, no rough terrain or hills.

After the many years on here I've narrowed it down to the B2320 and a BX. Will be used at least 80% for mowing. Other uses will be using FEL for moving a little firewood and other light duty uses. I'm sure the box blade will always be of use. I know some see 7acres and automatically think a bigger tractor and that may be the case. My biggest question is the MMM on the two tractors and if they are very similar or is there a distinct difference in the cut quality and/or mowing time? All things equal I'll get the B2320 unless the BX is that much better of a mower. Can't get two machines (zero turn and another) so thats out.

/ Mowing differences between B2320 and BX2360/2660? #2  
The higher hp BX would certainly do you fine. Nothing you describe would tax its abilities. The BX's agility should not be overlooked, imho. You aren't describing anything that require big ground clearance, the bug-a-boo of the BX. The BX's slightly lower price isn't all bad either.

My only concerns with a B is the increased likelihood of marks, if you are fine lawn kind of person, or your spouse is. I have the BX and John, my adjacent neighbor has the B7510. His front wheels, for some reason, camber? tear up the grass. My BX never does. I do not know if this holds true for the Bxx20 series or not.

There is also a difference in the mowing decks, I do believe. I believe one is floating suspended and the other tracks on the ground. I cannot speak authoritatively to the difference in cut quality between the two. Since you asked about cut quality, I assume your lawn will be of the finer variety, rather than just a yard.

/ Mowing differences between B2320 and BX2360/2660? #3  
Had a B2320, purchased it for about 80% mowing duties. Started with R4 tires, they tore up the grass when turning. Traded the R4s for bar/turf tires (at a loss). They did better, but still tore the grass when turning. Cut quality was great; had a 60" deck on the B, but couldn't get past the torn up turf.

I finally gave up and traded the whole contraption for a BX2660. MUCH better mowing machine. The loader is only marginally weaker than the B2320's and the 3 point hitch actually has more lift than my B2320 with bar/turf tires did. I'd highly recommend the BX over the B. Wish I would have bought the BX to begin with.

I should also mention that my BX has the R4 tires and does not even begin to tear up the grass, even when the steering wheel is turned full lock.

/ Mowing differences between B2320 and BX2360/2660?
Since you asked about cut quality, I assume your lawn will be of the finer variety, rather than just a yard.

I wouldn't say I want a golf course but I like a nice yard and don't want ruts or torn up parts. When I had an acre yard I did manicure it so to speak. I realize this probably not possible with 7 acres but will want it to look nice.

tutorbell: How did the ride compare between the two? Any difference in mowing time because of this? Thanks a bunch.:thumbsup:

/ Mowing differences between B2320 and BX2360/2660? #5  
My personal opinion. The BX series is more mower then tractor. The B series is more tractor then mower. If you are mowing 80% of the time and looking for a light duty tractor, that to me = BX.

/ Mowing differences between B2320 and BX2360/2660? #6  
After the many years on here I've narrowed it down to the B2320 and a BX. Will be used at least 80% for mowing. Other uses will be using FEL for moving a little firewood and other light duty uses. I'm sure the box blade will always be of use. I know some see 7acres and automatically think a bigger tractor and that may be the case. My biggest question is the MMM on the two tractors and if they are very similar or is there a distinct difference in the cut quality and/or mowing time? All things equal I'll get the B2320 unless the BX is that much better of a mower. Can't get two machines (zero turn and another) so thats out.

I just went through your same dilemma and opted for the B2320. Can't say about a MMM but I use a Land Pride FDR1660 RFM and it cuts very nice and evenly with no bunched up clippings, granted I've only cut about 2 acres thus far. I'm very happy with the cut and it does a much better job than any of the "lawn tractors" I've owned.

/ Mowing differences between B2320 and BX2360/2660? #7  
tutorbell: How did the ride compare between the two? Any difference in mowing time because of this? Thanks a bunch.:thumbsup:

The B2320 with filled R4s rode ROUGH, with filled bar/turf tires, the ride was better, but still pretty jarring. The BX2660 with unfilled R4 tires actually rides as nice or possibly nicer due to the fact that the seat belt on the BX2660 attaches to the seat instead of the tractor. On the B, the seat belt attaches to the seat frame, so as you inevitably bounce up and down the belt gets tighter as the seat springs compress. This is not an issue on the BX, as the belt moves with the seat, independently of the tractor.

I have the fine cut 54" deck on my BX, and it cuts better than the 60" on the B, in that it disperses clippings over a wider area where the B tended to windrow them. I would tend to say that with equal decks between the two, the BX may end up ahead as there are fewer three point turns required to mow around trees and other obstacles.

FYI - both tractors do have suspended decks. One thing I will also mention is that it is much easier to engage/disengage the PTO on the BX. The B requires the clutch to be disengaged to start the PTO (can stop PTO without the clutch, but I wouldn't recommend it) and as a result, you have to come to a complete stop to do it. My BX is nice when I have to cross over a bare area or my gravel driveway since I can just shut off the PTO and then start it back up without having to cease forward motion.

/ Mowing differences between B2320 and BX2360/2660? #8  
Fine cutting starts with the F model, then zero turns, then BX's, then B's then L's. Between the two choices you give and without need for the higher ground clearance then go with the BX. The B and BX are tractors that mow but the BX is the better for mowing. Speaking from experience of 11 different Kubotas.

/ Mowing differences between B2320 and BX2360/2660? #10  
I went through this a couple of years ago and wound up with a BX2660 after looking at the B Series. I really wanted one, but decided the BX was the right choice and have been very happy with my choice. Nothing against the B Series, I just think for the use described the BX is a better fit.