4cyl vs 3cyl

/ 4cyl vs 3cyl #1  

Pushing_Tin

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3320
I am wondering what the advantages and disadvantages are to diesel engines making the same horsepower, but with one more or less cylinder. Is there a mileage or efficiency advantage to one? More or less torque? Please clue me in. :confused:

/ 4cyl vs 3cyl #2  
Good question, wondering this myself.

/ 4cyl vs 3cyl #4  
With all other things being equal...
The more cylinders, the smaller each cylinder will be and the better it will breathe.
You will have a power stroke more frequently with more cylinders...
Efficiency, performance will go up...

/ 4cyl vs 3cyl #5  
If they are both inline engines the three cylinder requires fewer internal components for balancing.:thumbsup:

/ 4cyl vs 3cyl #7  
the more cylinders the smoother it runs,,,
more uniform power and torque...
I thought this too but there seems to be a lot of complaints about the Kubota B7800 and B3200 being vibrators when compared to 3 CYL versions of similar sized tractors. I'm wondering if there is not some sort of harmonics taking place in the B's that adds to the vibes. Just one of those unanswered questions in the back of my mind.

/ 4cyl vs 3cyl #8  
the more cylinders the smoother it runs,,,
more uniform power and torque...

Uhhhh, not exactly...

A 4 cylinder engine's crankshaft has 2 pistons going up and 2 going down on every revolution. They typically need a counter balancer to minimize vibrations. Some tractors have them, some don't. Obviously, the smoother ones have them!

A 3 cylinder crankshaft has equal spread across 120 degrees. When one is at TDC, there is one going up and one going down. It works out that the 3 cylinder is typically as smooth as a 4 cylinder. They are also simpler and cheaper to manufacture.

I would look at the capabilities of the overall package, and not so much at how it is attained. The 3 cylinder tractor will typically be a little shorter. Might be a little lighter, but that depends on the casting material (Al vs iron) the thickness and other factors.

/ 4cyl vs 3cyl #9  
A four cylinder will typically run smoother overall.

While you do have two going up and two going down @ the same time, They are on opposite ends of the 4-stroke cylce. One is on compression and the other on exhaust. One will be on power strole while the other on intake. Most 4-strokes the cylinders will be paired 1-4 and 2-3.

On gas engines, they use 2 coils. Each coil feeding a "pair" of cyls. The coil fires eache time the piston is @ top dead. Even if it is on exhaust stroke, cause its "partner cylinder" is on compression.

All engines are balanced according the the reciprocating and rotating weight they are slinging around. If you hooked an external power source to a 3cyl and a 4cyl, there would be no difference in vibration since they are both balanced.

The more vibration on fewer cylinders come from fewer power strokes per revolution. On a 3cylinder, it is 120* between fires. On a 4cyl it is 90*. Each time you have a power stroke, the gases srive the piston down, and then it requires the stored momentum of everything to continue spinning to the next power cycle. A 3cyl has to use more of this stored momentum. It is too much to detect by us, but the motor will actually slow down between fires, and then speed back up once fired.

Since most engines open the exhaust valve (signaling the end of power stroke) at about 5-10* BTDC the engine is really only making power for about 80* of the power stroke. On a 4cyl, that leaves 10* up to the momentum and 40* on a 3cyl. These very high frequency speed-ups and slow-downs happen at a higher magnitude in a 3cyl. That is why the seem to vibrate/run a little rougher.

A perect example of this is the Motorcycles of the 70-80's. Most were either single cylinders, or two cylinders in V or in paralle. While they ran good, the inline-4's that were comming into play were night and day smoother.