Tractor
    Kubota B8200-HST-D

Default First Tractor - Need Some Help

First of all, this site is great! I have found all kinds of good info here, and it has been a lot of help.

I just bought my first tractor, a 1985 kubota B8200HST-D, about a month ago. I am very happy with it so far, but I have a few things that are concerning me...

1. When running the MMM in the high PTO speed, the rear PTO shaft produces a very high pitched squeal. I called the dealer and he said it isnt unusual for there to be some noise, but I am still nervous. How much noise is too much?

2. The transmission seems to get quite hot while running. By time I finish mowing my 3.5 acres, the transmission is hot enough that you can still touch it, but not for more than a second or two. Is this normal with a hydrostatic?

3. When the engine is at half throtle or faster, the 3 point hitch control lever will not stay raised. It always drops to the lowest position. Is this just from vibrations, or is there something else going on?

Any help/insight you guys have would be greatly appretiated.
    Thanks.
    -Chase

art
    Tractor
    all makes and models

Default Re: First Tractor - Need Some Help

Chase, on the three point hitch you might just need to tighten the pivot for the handle to hold it better.

As far as the transmission temp I think that is about normal. On the new ones they cover them up bettr so you might not notice it! They often run over 200 degrees!

On the noise, there are many noises that can be heard when operating a tractor, beware of changing noises!

I've walked up to many machines that have a bearing going out or another type of friction for one reason or another and the operator was unaware of any changes or noise and the reason was it just didn't start! It actually had been slowly increasing as they used it and they never noticed it!

Tractor
    Kubota B8200-HST-D

art,
    Thanks for the quick responce.
    I will try to tighten up the handle on the 3pt and see if that make a difference.

I dont think the transmission is running quite that hot, so I guess I am safe. Thats a relief...

The noise doesnt seem to be getting any louder, but I will keep an eye on it. I was worried it might be a bearing going out, as thats what it sounds like, but the rear PTO shaft isnt getting real hot or anything, and there is no play in it, so I kind of disregarded it.

Thanks for the info and have a good holiday weekend.

-Chase

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Pretty much what Art said.

I am constantly hearing something that concerns me, but I am probably hyper sensitive. I remember the first time my cell phone rang while operating a tractor, I just knew I had blown something up to make that kind of racket.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html