New to Tractor 4wd Question ?

/ New to Tractor 4wd Question ? #1  

thetooth

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota b7500 , Kubota Bx1850
I researched this and i think i found the answer but just want to confirm .

First tractor ( new to me B7500 hst ) first vehicle with 4wd .

Messing around in the back yard getting use to the FEL . well i was back blading with the bucket , in 4wd and i had the front tires just off the ground and 1 ( right wheel from operators seat ) wheel was spinning faster than the other .

This is normal right ?

Thanks for your help

/ New to Tractor 4wd Question ? #2  
The front differential is 'open', so the wheel with the least traction will spin. With your tractor in four wheel drive, it's really only two wheel drive..... one rear and one front. In four wheel drive with the differential locked, you have three wheel drive ........ both rears and one front.

/ New to Tractor 4wd Question ?
Thanks DuctTape . I read that in another thread but i needed the reassurance !

/ New to Tractor 4wd Question ? #4  
Thanks DuctTape . I read that in another thread but i needed the reassurance !

In that case, I concur with DuctTape.;) And that's a nice little tractor you have. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

/ New to Tractor 4wd Question ? #5  
The front differential is 'open', so the wheel with the least traction will spin. With your tractor in four wheel drive, it's really only two wheel drive..... one rear and one front. In four wheel drive with the differential locked, you have three wheel drive ........ both rears and one front.

Yeah, but not the question asked.

BOTH front wheels were off the ground - yes, it is normal due to the asymmetry of the front diff.
Could be right, could be left, depends how it is assembled, but I would expect all examples of the same make and model to have the same side slightly faster.

Thanks Reg and Bird . I am new to this so i appreciate your input :thumbsup: .

thanks

/ New to Tractor 4wd Question ? #7  
I think that I've seen a few bent cylinders on that dance!!!!!!

/ New to Tractor 4wd Question ? #8  
Actually, both wheels on both ends drive thru an open differential. Its just that, on each end, you only get twice the driving force of the wheel with the lesser traction.
larry

I think that I've seen a few bent cylinders on that dance!!!!!!

Yes it's not something i would often do . I tilled a new garden bed with the troy bilt and raked it clear of any obstructions . I have been using the bed ( before i plant it ) to get use to the FEL digging some dirt , using the bucket it float , moving some compost over , and a little back blading .

Thanks for the input everyone !

/ New to Tractor 4wd Question ? #10  

thanks!

I had wondered about that but never checked it..
Often I have seen 1 of front tires spin and the other not..

now I feel better!

thanks,
J