Let it run or off and on

/ Let it run or off and on #11  
I agree with Triple R - There are a lot of things in life that you can get away with 9999 times but at 10,000 there is a mega price to be paid - True too in driving - You can run for years not leaving enough space between you and the car in front of you but the time you "pay the piper" sucks!

/ Let it run or off and on #12  
I agree with Triple R - There are a lot of things in life that you can get away with 9999 times but at 10,000 there is a mega price to be paid - True too in driving - You can run for years not leaving enough space between you and the car in front of you but the time you "pay the piper" sucks!
Is there an argument? Is zero risk the necessary criterion? Theres no way to get anything done then and that, in itself, is risky.
larry

/ Let it run or off and on #13  
Is there an argument? Is zero risk the necessary criteria? Theres no way to get anything done then.
larry

I don't see an argument. I do see a difference in the way people were brought up around tractors. I think shutting the engine off is the absolute safest way to be around a tractor. I don't shut the engine off but I never get myself in a position where the tractor can run over me or pin me. Pick your inconvenience I suppose. I think the original post was more of a concern of excessive idling being detremental to the life of a motor.

/ Let it run or off and on #14  
@BruceWard: Some reading I did (Four Stroke Performance Tuning by A Graham Bell) suggested that coolant temperature increasing after an engine stops is normal.

There's the issue of cylinder wash....I have nothing to back this up but it's generally accepted that diesel engines stand up to excessive idling better than gasoline engines do on account of cylinder wash, isn't it? On the subject: I once heard a fellow from Caterpillar say to avoid extended idling but if an engine needed to be left running for extended periods, to "bump the rpm's up a bit"

For me, a big part of it is how hard it is to start the equipment and how hard the engine was working in the minute leading up to the stop. If it needs a lot of cranking I'm more inclined to idle the engine for short stops and if it's been working hard I'll let it idle for a minute or two before turning it off.

My Chevy welding truck kicks over in an instant and I have no issues with killing the engine for the shortest breaks.

Of course, on cold days....

This is known as "Wet stacking"

/ Let it run or off and on #15  
Like others, I don't turn mine off if I'm only going to be off it for 10-15 minutes.
On the safety side, I always put mine in neutral and set the parking brake if I'm getting off it while the engine is running.

/ Let it run or off and on #16  
Just my opinion here,not based on fact, but I'd say more than 2 to 3 minutes of letting it idle is a waste of fuel. 15 minutes seems to long to me.

/ Let it run or off and on #17  
Mechanical issues aside, I just can't get comfortable dismounting a tractor while it is running.

For me getting off is not an issue - but more than once getting back on I have swung my leg over the tranny case and accidentally put my foot on the GO pedal. With an HST its always "in gear" so the tractor lunges forwards and the brakes scream (I almost always put the parking brake on). One time... it really did get a bit ugly as I was standing in the saddle when my foot hit the go pedal. I'm more careful now... but the HST really makes it easy to be complaisant!

/ Let it run or off and on #18  
It doesn't bother my sons a bit as all they have ever used is modern equipment with brakes that actually work, safety switches etc.

I put the tractor brakes on and dismount often, that is just the way my work load leads me. I do try to lower FEL and 3pt implement for some added safety.

Sometimes I forget to put it in neutral, but you figure that out real quick.

/ Let it run or off and on #19  
Just for clarification, I am not saying mounting/dismounting can't be done safely, I am just not one of those people who is comfortable doing it, nor do I need to.

If it came to the point to where I had to balance equipment longevity/benefit and safety, I will take safety anytime.

I realize this will be more applicable to the newer than experienced operator, but will always be a consideration.

I do apologize for taking this off topic as it was meant to address mechanical issues.

/ Let it run or off and on #20  
For me getting off is not an issue - but more than once getting back on I have swung my leg over the tranny case and accidentally put my foot on the GO pedal. With an HST its always "in gear" so the tractor lunges forwards and the brakes scream (I almost always put the parking brake on). One time... it really did get a bit ugly as I was standing in the saddle when my foot hit the go pedal. I'm more careful now... but the HST really makes it easy to be complaisant!

I hadn't thought about that, but you're right.. mine is gear drive.

If I'm going to be a couple of minutes or less, I let it idle. First thing in the morning, putting up the ROPS or attaching an implement, the extra warm-up time is fine by me.

Safety is a whole other issue obviously. I use my judgement as to what I consider safe, if it's a bit dicey at all I turn the key off.

Sean