Let it run or off and on

/ Let it run or off and on #31  
Unless cold weather demands it be kept running, turn it off. As a minimum always park your tractor and park both ends of your tractor. Consider using wheel chocks. It disturbs me when I see a tractor with loader or 3 pt attachment raised, no one in the seat and wheels free to turn. Just an accident waiting to happen. Latest 'oops' example here:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/177326-oops-bent-bucket.html

Turn it off and park it before leaving the seat.

/ Let it run or off and on #32  
I usually leave mine running as I'm on and off all the time. If I'm filling the bucket with a shovel,(yes, I know) then I leave it running. 10 or 15 mins seems about right for turning it off. It also depends on where I'm stopped and what I'm doing. I only have a FEL and back blade so the PTO isn't a factor but if I'm doing something that puts me in a bad spot I'll shut it down. I always lower the bucket and on a hill lower the blade as well, sometimes I don't need the brake at all

/ Let it run or off and on #33  
It's worth pointing out that that OP didn't set the brake or do anything else. In that situation, well sure, all bets are off. That's kinda getting OT... it probably wouldn't have made any difference if the tractor were turned off (we don't know).

Consider using wheel chocks.

Really? Far be it from me to try to fault someone for doing absolutely everything possible in the name of safety, but at some point it becomes diminishing returns. If you already have a belt and suspenders on, do you need duct tape?

I don't think there's any right or wrong (well, clearly, there is wrong) but ultimately it comes down to how well each owner knows their tractor and the situation they're in, and they have to decide for themselves.

/ Let it run or off and on #34  
It's worth pointing out that that OP didn't set the brake or do anything else. In that situation, well sure, all bets are off. That's kinda getting OT... it probably wouldn't have made any difference if the tractor were turned off (we don't know).

Really? Far be it from me to try to fault someone for doing absolutely everything possible in the name of safety, but at some point it becomes diminishing returns. If you already have a belt and suspenders on, do you need duct tape?

I don't think there's any right or wrong (well, clearly, there is wrong) but ultimately it comes down to how well each owner knows their tractor and the situation they're in, and they have to decide for themselves.

I agree-common sense goes along way :)

/ Let it run or off and on #35  
If you already have a belt and suspenders on, do you need duct tape?

You always need duct tape!

As far as running when your not in the seat - I'm in and out of the drivers seat frequently.
More than half my use has been with the backhoe.
Properly parked with FEL down my primary rule is stay off the right side.

I consider it bad for a diesel to be started frequently. If I have to leave the machine properly parked for up to about 15 minutes or so, properly parked, no danger (someone likely to hop in the seat) in the area I let it idle.
During snow cleanup I let it idle longer.

One of the reasons I bought my maxivan diesel was to be able to let it idle in the Mississippi summer sun and provide a/c.

My VW diesel will idle for an hour on about 0.1 gal of fuel. At highway speed (70mph) it burns about 1.5 gal per hour.

Prior discussions here indicate that a 24hp engine burns about less than 1 gal/hr when working

Just my opinion here,not based on fact, but I'd say more than 2 to 3 minutes of letting it idle is a waste of fuel. 15 minutes seems to long to me.

Has anyone checked the fuel consumption at idle? I suspect it's not too much. I know there's a web site that tells but I can't find it easily.

/ Let it run or off and on #36  
I had permanently installed wheel chocks with one job: The area to park my machine was on a sloped part of the property but there was a nice little hole I could drop a wheel in that kept it from rolling. I was inspired by seeing the technique employed in bus stations where there's a little divot in each bay to hold a front wheel of the bus when it's pulled in.

/ Let it run or off and on #37  
@countrybumpkin: Today I thought about your earlier post. I pulled up to a traffic light next to an MF 451 that was idling away while being towed on a trailer.

/ Let it run or off and on #38  
I had permanently installed wheel chocks with one job: The area to park my machine was on a sloped part of the property but there was a nice little hole I could drop a wheel in that kept it from rolling. I was inspired by seeing the technique employed in bus stations where there's a little divot in each bay to hold a front wheel of the bus when it's pulled in.

I had no parking brake on my CJ7 for few month, first the cable broke and than it was winter and also short on money - you know how it goes with car nobody but you drives:).
Anyway, our driveway has a gate and on a slope and everytime leaving I had to balance the Jeep in the corner of a ditch for it to stay still. I got pretty good at it actually.

/ Let it run or off and on #39  
Two to five minutes of idling is the normal max for me. Why waste fuel and why not follow diesel engine manufacturers recommendations?

FWIW - On my 3130 HST if you touch the treadle while not seated the engine dies. If you stand-up while the tractor whiles is moving the engine stops. If the PTO is engaged you have to be seated or the engine will stop.

One of my rules is to lower front and rear implements when idling, and always shut the engine off and set the brake when on a slope. After 40 plus years of operating equipment and no injuries to me or others around me, I fully realize that tomorrow the clock/odds starts over, and an accident could be just around the next corner.

As to the "9999 times out 10,000 post", I'll take those odds anytime when having to work with chainsaws and tall trees :laughing:

/ Let it run or off and on #40  
czechsonofagun, have you seen The Gods Must Be Crazy?