Tires Calcium or Windshield Washer Fluid

/ Calcium or Windshield Washer Fluid #1  

funwithahoe

Gold Member
My dealer says calcium in the tires will rust them and is going to put windshield washer fluid. Any thoughts??

/ Calcium or Windshield Washer Fluid #2  
My dealer says calcium in the tires will rust them and is going to put windshield washer fluid. Any thoughts??

Good for him. The slight additional weight from the calcium isn't worth the downsides.
rScotty

/ Calcium or Windshield Washer Fluid #3  
Only do calcium if you have innner-tubes - otherwise, windshield washer fluid.
Cheers!
Mike

/ Calcium or Windshield Washer Fluid #4  
Calcium chloride, inner tube or not, will eventually eat out your rim. It will start by eating out the core in the valve stem of the inner tube. You will replace this core several times. Then it will start eating out around the valve stem in the tube where it fits through the rim. You will have to remove the tube, weld the valve stem hole, re-drill the hole, replace the tube and refill it. In the last stages of calcium chloride you will have holes the size of golf balls eaten through your rim. Granted, this takes about twenty years for this to happen but once it does you will be done with calcium chloride forever.

/ Calcium or Windshield Washer Fluid #5  
Another option is RimGuard. It's almost as heavy as CaCl, needs no inner tubes, is enviro friendly and is not corrosive. Click here Rim Guard - Liquid Tire Ballast to learn more about RimGuard.

/ Calcium or Windshield Washer Fluid #6  
RimGuard is best but $$. WWF is a good compromise, $ but only 8lbs/gallon. CaCl is cheapest in the short term but eventually the rust will be an issue.

/ Calcium or Windshield Washer Fluid #7  
Whistlepig speaks truth. His description matches my experience. Bought my tractor used, it already had CaCl in rear tires when I bought it. :( That tractor, a MF 165 imported from Minnesota, has gone to greener pastures and both rear rims were totally rusted out. They did not outlast me.

Last edited:
   / Calcium or Windshield Washer Fluid #8  
Whistlepig speaks truth. His description matches my experience. Bought my tractor used, it already had CaCl in rear tires when I bought it. :(

Same here!:( Though expensive, I still prefer cast iron. But my 790 already has liquid (I don't know what), so the damage is done, I'll leave it. Hopefully, the rims will outlast me! :D ~~ grnspot110