BX2660 - Tiller

/ BX2660 - Tiller #1  

RTII

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota GL 3940, Kubota M5 111
I was going to put my questions into the attachments forum but because I wanted it to be specific to my model I thought I might get more responses from this one. I'd welcome opinions from all and epecially from those who have a bx2660 and their tiller experiences.

I would like to buy a tiller when I get back home next week and would like opinions on sizes, makes, and models for one for the bx2660. I don't have my owners manual with me but I believe the manual recommendation is for a 48" size. Would you all agree with this? Am I limited to the 48"? Would anyone here think going up to 60" would be too much for my tractor?

I've only had a look at KKII (TSC)and Kuhns (my kubota dealer). The KKII seem's to have a decent reputation for value for the money here on TBN. Comes in 2 48" models - the XB, and TG. I think they are both fixed offset and I wonder if I'd be happy with that.

I haven't seen any feed back on the kuhn and would like opinions from any that have used or owned one.

any other experience with makes or models that could be shared would help as well.

My uses would be for yard prep and then yearly garden prep.

Thanks...

Reily

/ BX2660 - Tiller #2  
I use a Land Pride RTR0550 on my 2660 and wouldn't want to go any larger. I am not saying it won't handle a 60" especially in forward rotation, just from my experience in my soil I wouldn't use one. The Land Pride is a very good quality tiller, but also fairly expensive and the KK will serve you as well for less money. The KK will fade a little sooner and may not be finished as well, but mechanically it is a very good piece of equipment. I don't know anything about the Kuhn, but there are quite a few good tillers available. Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited:
   / BX2660 - Tiller #5  
I have a BX2660 and purchased a King Kutter II 60" (TG-60, 690lbs) tiller at the beginning of summer from TSC. The 2660 has no problem with the size and I tilled a lot that was 220x140, no problems what so ever. The first cut was a couple of inches and the second cut I put it all the way down. A friend and I looked at the 48" KK but did not like the offset so we went with the 60" and I'm so glad. At times when I hit some really dense ground it would bog the engine down but I would just slow down and let the engine catch up and then just press on.

/ BX2660 - Tiller #6  
1*I believe the manual recommendation is for a 48" size. Would you all agree with this? Am I limited to the 48"? Would anyone here think going up to 60" would be too much for my tractor?

I've only had a look at KKII (TSC)and Kuhns (my kubota dealer). The KKII seem's to have a decent reputation for value for the money here on TBN. Comes in 2 48" models 2*the XB, and TG. I think they are both fixed offset and I wonder if I'd be happy with that.
1*A 60 '' is a bit too much for a BX.
Here is a picture of my 48'' KK xb.
It's perfect for the BXs.
100_2316.jpg

2*The 48'' is not off set and covers the tire tracks on both sides.
I don't like an offset because you can only cover one set of tire tracks with them .
You also have to go around and around the area insted of back and forth like you can with a tiller that covers both sets of tire tracks.

/ BX2660 - Tiller
I've had my Land Pride rtr0550 for about a year and have been very pleased with it. I too have a BX2660.

Here's my thread on the subject:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/152635-tiller-king-kutter-land-pride.html

Thanks for the thread PS. Good info to think about.

I have a BX2660 and purchased a King Kutter II 60" (TG-60, 690lbs) tiller at the beginning of summer from TSC. The 2660 has no problem with the size and I tilled a lot that was 220x140, no problems what so ever. The first cut was a couple of inches and the second cut I put it all the way down. A friend and I looked at the 48" KK but did not like the offset so we went with the 60" and I'm so glad. At times when I hit some really dense ground it would bog the engine down but I would just slow down and let the engine catch up and then just press on.

The soil I'd be tilling shouldn't be a challenge for the tiller or tractor. Would be the weight of the tiller and wear and tear on the tractor (because of the weight) be a concern? Still, I anticipate using it probably only a couple of times per year. I too did not like the idea of the off set if I could get by without it and go with the larger tiller. Your experience has me leaning toward the 60" size. Thanks dakota.

1*A 60 '' is a bit too much for a BX.
Here is a picture of my 48'' KK xb. It's perfect for the BXs.

2*The 48'' is not off set and covers the tire tracks on both sides.
I don't like an offset because you can only cover one set of tire tracks with them .
You also have to go around and around the area insted of back and forth like you can with a tiller that covers both sets of tire tracks.

Thanks LB. Nice set up you have. Like above I agree that I too probably wouldn't be happy with the offset. The KK XB must be centered while the regular TG is definitely offset. With Dakota's experience with the 60" tiller and BX2660 combo, I'm thinking the extra HP on the 2660 (Compared to the BX15xx or BX18xx's) might make it a reasonable choice.

Still, the manual's recomendation doesn't suggest a bigger tiller. Still thinking this through..........

/ BX2660 - Tiller #8  
Your power requirements are going to vary between forward and reverse tilling, so that must be factored into your decision.

/ BX2660 - Tiller #9  
Your power requirements are going to vary between forward and reverse tilling, so that must be factored into your decision.

Yup- I agree here. reverse can suck alot more power, the forward helps tractor along. With reverse tilling, the soil is worked more, but the forward has worked just fine for me for years and I'm using a bush hog brand tiller. Whatever you decide to get, be sure you get the slip clutch instead of using shear bolts.

/ BX2660 - Tiller #10  
With a new BX like yours, you really don't need the XB model of tiller. These were designed for older BXs that had limited 3PH lift height.

I've used a few different full size (yellow) KK attachments and have never had an issue with lift height or pin width.