BX Radiator Drain Plug Removal

/ BX Radiator Drain Plug Removal #1  

thavil

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
I performed my first radiator flush and fill today on my BX24 and had problems with the radiator drain plug. Once I finally found it, I had no easy access to it. I thought it was going to be a bolt type plug but it was a rubber cap with a pinch clamp. My question is - has anyone successfully removed the plug and put it back on? What tool did you use to remove the plug?

I searched here on TBN after I couldn't remove the plug and found a few posts suggesting to remove the lower radiator hose instead. This is what I ended up doing, hopefully enough drained out of the radiator during the flushing process.

On a side note - I went to my dealer to pick up some antifreeze and all they sell is the regular gas engine type. Ended up finding some Fleet Charge diesel antifreeze at Tractor Supply.

Last edited:
   / BX Radiator Drain Plug Removal #2  
Sorry but I have to ask. Is there a difference between gas and diesel engine antifreeze? :confused:

/ BX Radiator Drain Plug Removal #3  
Sorry but I have to ask. Is there a difference between gas and diesel engine antifreeze? :confused:
You bet, and I'd have to check my memory banks, but I believe it's mostly cause of the wet sleeves in diesels.

edit; memory banks says google "Cylinder Liner Cavitation"

/ BX Radiator Drain Plug Removal #4  

Like Will said yes.

Some, possibly all wet sleeve engines are sensitive to the type of antifreeze used. Not sue if it is due to the seals used on the sleeves as well as preventing the cavitation that Will also mentions. I have seen two Case engines where on both of them the block was eroded around the seals and allowed anti-freeze to mix with the oil. The results are expensive.... In both situations the lower seals went so there was no compression getting into the water jacket to give any indication of the failure.

Roy

/ BX Radiator Drain Plug Removal #5  
Had the same difficulty accessing the drain tap due to the clip instead of what the manual shows to be a threaded cap. I drained and flushed the BX24 by removing the lower radiator hose and was feeling pretty pleased with myself. Then got good advise in another thread from Roger that was not available in the owners manual. I did it again also removing the block drain - big difference in the amount of coolant that came out.
/Tom

Not sure how to provide a direct link to:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...5019-bx-coolant-drain-access.html#post1903876

/ BX Radiator Drain Plug Removal
Had the same difficulty accessing the drain tap due to the clip instead of what the manual shows to be a threaded cap. I drained and flushed the BX24 by removing the lower radiator hose and was feeling pretty pleased with myself. Then got good advise in another thread from Roger that was not available in the owners manual. I did it again also removing the block drain - big difference in the amount of coolant that came out.
/Tom

Not sure how to provide a direct link to:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...5019-bx-coolant-drain-access.html#post1903876

Thanks Tom, your post is the one I read to drain from the lower radiator hose after I couldn't access the radiator drain plug. I should have read it slower because I skipped over the part about the block drain plug.:mad: Like you, I think I will drain it again. I know I didn't get 3.3 quarts out when I drained the old antifreeze, drained the radiator flush and drained the straight distilled water.

/ BX Radiator Drain Plug Removal #7  
On a side note - I went to my dealer to pick up some antifreeze and all they sell is the regular gas engine type. Ended up finding some Fleet Charge diesel antifreeze at Tractor Supply.

Hey Tod,

That is probably what they put in it to begin with and if they service anyones tractor:confused::confused:

Deano

/ BX Radiator Drain Plug Removal #8  
Yeah, something suspect about a Kubota dealer that wouldn't be more than happy to sell you some genuine Kubota coolant...

/ BX Radiator Drain Plug Removal #9  
I have a diesel truck and I use regular anti freeze in it. I am guessing that the tractor is the same

/ BX Radiator Drain Plug Removal #10  
When I changed the anti-freeze on my BX-25, I also loosen the lower radiator hose to do the change. I love the access to the radiator drain plug on my B3030. Nice engineering by the Kubota boyz.

Attachments

• Kubota B3030 A1 EM.JPG
    Kubota B3030 A1 EM.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 3,263