Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Default BX Radiator Drain Plug Removal

I performed my first radiator flush and fill today on my BX24 and had problems with the radiator drain plug. Once I finally found it, I had no easy access to it. I thought it was going to be a bolt type plug but it was a rubber cap with a pinch clamp. My question is - has anyone successfully removed the plug and put it back on? What tool did you use to remove the plug?

I searched here on TBN after I couldn't remove the plug and found a few posts suggesting to remove the lower radiator hose instead. This is what I ended up doing, hopefully enough drained out of the radiator during the flushing process.

On a side note - I went to my dealer to pick up some antifreeze and all they sell is the regular gas engine type. Ended up finding some Fleet Charge diesel antifreeze at Tractor Supply.
    Last edited by thavil; 07-11-2010 at 06:15 PM.
    BX24, 60" MMM, Woods HC48 Rotary Cutter, W.R Long Flat Toothbar, 4' Farm Force Box Blade, Leinbach 7200JR PHD w/ 12" & 9" augers, Cosmo XB 3PH spreader, Pat's Easy Change, Front & Rear Bro-Tek Skid Plates, BXpanded Under Armor/Brush Forks/BH Dolly/Bucket Hooks/Tool Pouch/Work Lights, drag harrow, Larry's Mower Axle Stands, 52" Rachet Rake, Millcreek manure spreader

Tractor
    2010 GC2610

Default Re: BX Radiator Drain Plug Removal

Sorry but I have to ask. Is there a difference between gas and diesel engine antifreeze?
    2010 MF GC2610--MF60"MMM--King Kutter XB 4' rotary cutter-- 4' King Kutter XB boxblade-- Ratchet Rake-- Check that parking brake

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wacky View Post
    Sorry but I have to ask. Is there a difference between gas and diesel engine antifreeze?
    You bet, and I'd have to check my memory banks, but I believe it's mostly cause of the wet sleeves in diesels.

edit; memory banks says google "Cylinder Liner Cavitation"
    ::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

My Photobucket

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Branson 2400H

Quote Originally Posted by Wacky View Post
    Like Will said yes.

Some, possibly all wet sleeve engines are sensitive to the type of antifreeze used. Not sue if it is due to the seals used on the sleeves as well as preventing the cavitation that Will also mentions. I have seen two Case engines where on both of them the block was eroded around the seals and allowed anti-freeze to mix with the oil. The results are expensive.... In both situations the lower seals went so there was no compression getting into the water jacket to give any indication of the failure.

Roy

Tractor
    BX24

Had the same difficulty accessing the drain tap due to the clip instead of what the manual shows to be a threaded cap. I drained and flushed the BX24 by removing the lower radiator hose and was feeling pretty pleased with myself. Then got good advise in another thread from Roger that was not available in the owners manual. I did it again also removing the block drain - big difference in the amount of coolant that came out.
    /Tom

Not sure how to provide a direct link to:
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...ml#post1903876

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Quote Originally Posted by wotalota View Post
    Had the same difficulty accessing the drain tap due to the clip instead of what the manual shows to be a threaded cap. I drained and flushed the BX24 by removing the lower radiator hose and was feeling pretty pleased with myself. Then got good advise in another thread from Roger that was not available in the owners manual. I did it again also removing the block drain - big difference in the amount of coolant that came out.
    /Tom

Not sure how to provide a direct link to:
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...ml#post1903876
    Thanks Tom, your post is the one I read to drain from the lower radiator hose after I couldn't access the radiator drain plug. I should have read it slower because I skipped over the part about the block drain plug. Like you, I think I will drain it again. I know I didn't get 3.3 quarts out when I drained the old antifreeze, drained the radiator flush and drained the straight distilled water.
    BX24, 60" MMM, Woods HC48 Rotary Cutter, W.R Long Flat Toothbar, 4' Farm Force Box Blade, Leinbach 7200JR PHD w/ 12" & 9" augers, Cosmo XB 3PH spreader, Pat's Easy Change, Front & Rear Bro-Tek Skid Plates, BXpanded Under Armor/Brush Forks/BH Dolly/Bucket Hooks/Tool Pouch/Work Lights, drag harrow, Larry's Mower Axle Stands, 52" Rachet Rake, Millcreek manure spreader

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Quote Originally Posted by thavil View Post
    On a side note - I went to my dealer to pick up some antifreeze and all they sell is the regular gas engine type. Ended up finding some Fleet Charge diesel antifreeze at Tractor Supply.
    Hey Tod,

That is probably what they put in it to begin with and if they service anyones tractor

Deano
    Deano
    2006 BX24, 6' New Implements rake, Woods RB60 rear blade, Wallenstein thumb, Bro-Tek rear skid plate, home made front skid plate, W.R. Long flat tooth bar, 4' finishing mower (TPH), 4' box blade, post hole digger, New style seat!!!!! Country Manufacturing manure spreader, Agri-Fab drop spreader.

Tractor
    Kubota B3030-HSD-F

Yeah, something suspect about a kubota dealer that wouldn't be more than happy to sell you some genuine Kubota coolant...
    Kubota B3030-HSD w/R4s, LA403 60" FEL w/ATI TB, RCK60" MMM, Woods BH80-X 4pt Hoe w/24"+12" bkts & Thumb, Woods RB72" Blade w/shoes