Loaded for bear

/ Loaded for bear #1  

Harv

Elite Member
California - S.F. East Bay & Sierra foothills
Tractor
Kubota L2500DT Standard Transmission
So, after months of shopping for my tractor I finally have it, but due to totally unrelated circumstances I haven't been able to get back to the property since that first day in the seat.
cry.gif

What's my only recourse?KEEP SHOPPING, of course. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

For the last couple of weeks, every time I left the house I managed to stop in at a store or two "just to look around". Now, since it looks like I will finally be heading up to the foothills this week, I started gathering all the tractor-related purchases I made. YIKES!!! I may need a bigger truck!

Naturally I thought I'd share with the members of this board, especially since every single one of these items was suggested or at least discussed right here on this forum. I'm a picture-happy kind of guy, so I'll make the list clickable, but it's purely an option for the vicarious.

Tilt Meters -- talked to our old buddy Rick at R&B, and 3 days later they were in my hot little hands.

Yellow Diesel Cans -- turned out to be the most difficult item for me to find. I checked all the stores suggested by other members here, but it wasn't until I looked at some posts from before I joined the board that I found Rowski's post about NAPA Auto Parts. I didn't recall seeing one around here, but when I looked in the phone book it turns out there was a store in an obscure little strip mall less than a mile from my home, and they had the cans. Thanks, Derek!!!

Diesel Fuel Additives -- saw discussions about this, so I picked up one additive that's supposed to help engine life and another that I'm told will extend the fuel storage life. Is it bad to mix additives?

Tire Plugs -- never heard of these things before joining this board, but I can see the wisdom in having a plug kit lying around. Hope I never need it. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Ammo Box -- not sure I can do it the way Richh suggested (my little 'L' doesn't have a rubber-matted dance floor like his /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif), but I saw them, bought one and I'll just have to see what I can do. They do seem perfect for on-board storage.

The Chalkley Cup -- one of the best ideas I've seen! I stopped by the ol' 7-Eleven yesterday and walked out with my very own 52-ouncer. Full, I might add (Diet Coke).

Hard Disk Magnets (or Chalkley cup holder-onners) -- didn't have to research this one -- Scruffy provided the solution and Mark has already field tested it. I did have to dismantle my paperweight (old hard disk unit) and extricate the goodies, but my paperweight looks way cooler now with the cover off. Wasn't sure I could remove the magnets from the mounting brackets, but with a little effort I was able to chisel them both off with little damage.

Well, I could go on about the chains, hooks, lead for wheel weights and so on, but I think I've told my story.

Muhammad - Since you're not making money with this board anyway, maybe you could offer all of the above as a starter kit for all new tractor owners. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Loaded for bear #2  
Sound more like a trator survival kit than a starter kit /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. Your welcome for the cans. I like them because you don't need to store the filler neck in the fuel and the handle on the side makes it easier to pour. Hopefully I won't be using them much any more. I got a 55 gallon plastic barrel. All I need now is a good pump that will give a good volume per stroke (11 gallon tank). Take care and have "safe" fun this week!

Derek

/ Loaded for bear #3  
I have the same cans. Also got them at NAPA, which is a side business of my tractor dealer. I found that the fuel will trickle out of the base of the pour spout unless you really tighten it hard.

/ Loaded for bear
Derek -

You mentioned a pump, which reminded me -- I also picked up a drill pump, for which I can find many uses, but I was wondering about the warning on the package. It says the pump is okay for oil, but it could possibly ignite "gasoline or other highly flammable liquids". I know that diesel is nowhere near as explosive as gasoline, but just how flammable is it before it gets vaporized?

Anybody?

HarvSig.gif

/ Loaded for bear #5  
Harv, it sounds like you bought a drill pump with a metal impeller instead of plastic. Now I figure there's only a very slim chance it could ignite diesel, but that chance ain't slim enough for me to want to try it. I'd use one that's made for flammable liquids.

Bird

/ Loaded for bear #6  
Harv,

Get yourself a few cans of tire sealant and that should help prevent punctures. If you need more info let me know, and I'll post a tractor tip I wrote up on tire sealants a while back.

Do you have an SMV emblem? (sure hope so! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif)

No anti-theft contraption yet?

What about loader hooks? (I'm not suggesting what exactly you should do with them on there, though /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif)

You will need a horn if you want to let 'em know you're coming!!

Side view mirrors would be a smart safety add-on... and maybe save some neck pain if you plan do any bush hogging (oops I mean rotary cutting!).

Ever going to pull a trailer? Might need a ball hitch. Going to do it from your drawbar or from the 3-point?

Night operation might be better with some add-on work lights mounted to the ROPS.

And one of the best little devices you'll find... a steering wheel spinner, or 'suicide knob'.

Oops, didn't mean to get you out driving around for more stuff, but I think you're just getting started. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

msig.gif

/ Loaded for bear #7  
I'm sure it would be ok. Be careful if you use garden hose it can break down in time resulting in little black pieces of rubber in your fuel. It is still flammable to a point so I'm still careful around it. I have no idea how flammable. There must be someone here who knows?

Derek

/ Loaded for bear #8  
OK, Harv, you got a tire plug kit. Now what kind of compressor did you get to air the tire back up after you plug the hole? Or did you already have one of those little 12 volt models you can plug in a cigarette lighter?

Bird

/ Loaded for bear #9  
Bird he already is going to have to rent a u-haul for all this stuff and you want him to be able to reinflate the tire after he fixes it. Yea I'd say that would be a good investment. Harv looks like the shopping list just got longer./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Gordon

/ Loaded for bear #10  
Yeah, Gordon, and besides that all he's bought so far is the little cheap items. Wait until he starts buying those implements to put on the 3-point./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif He hasn't even started shopping yet./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird