Mowing Adjusting BX Mower Deck

/ Adjusting BX Mower Deck #1  

MoreCowbell

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2350
I just bought my first tractor a month ago (BX2350) so I am very new to tractor-dom. I initially had a problem getting my MMM to the "Top" position which seems to be a common issue based on other posts. After a good amount of mumbled profanity, I think I've come up with a process to both adjust the MMM and get the "Top" position to work. Here is what worked for me:

1) Park tractor on concrete, check tire pressure, set the height adjustment to 4" and lower the deck onto that setting.

2) Disconnect the front link from the front of the tractor and support the center-front edge of the MMM with something about 4" thick. This will eliminate any bias from the front link adjustment nuts and instead allow the rear adjustment bolts to solely control the height of the rear of the left and right blades.

3) Adjust the left and right rear adjustment bolts so that the rear of the deck is level from left to right and the rear of the left and right blades are about 4" from the surface.

4) Reattach the front link and adjust the left/right nuts on it so that the front of the left and right blades are even with, or 0.2" lower than, the rears as called for in the manual. Note that any difference that arises at this point between the left and right rears, would be caused by uneven left vs. right adjustment of the front link since in the prior step, the rears were even on both sides.

5) Now test whether the MMM will go into "Top" position. If not, LOOSEN both rear adjustment bolts a little until the MMM can go to Top position. Loosening the bolts allows the rear links to travel a little higher before the MMM hits the stops. Its the linkage and NOT the MMM that needs to get high enough to get into Top position.

6) If you had to loosen the rear bolts in step 5, redo step 4 in order to readjust the front link.

Note that if loosening the rear adjustment bolts still will not allow the MMM for go to Top, then the link rod to the 3PH needs to be tightened as the 3PH is topping out before it can raise the MMM high enough. From what I can tell, failure to get the MMM to Top position can be caused by 2 things: A) the rear MMM adjustment bolts being too tight, or B) the link to the 3PH being too loose. Either situation on its own will prevent the rear MMM links from getting high enough for Top position.

Sorry for the wordy post. I hope this helps someone.

/ Adjusting BX Mower Deck #2  
Thanks for the informative post.

/ Adjusting BX Mower Deck #3  
That sounds like what might be the problem with mine. I hate to mess with it since it cuts so well and even, but maybe some day when I bored, I'll fix it.

/ Adjusting BX Mower Deck #4  
Very detailed...Thanks.

Don

/ Adjusting BX Mower Deck #5  
Very straight forward. I am going to copy this and place it in my mower deck manual. Thanks for th info. :thumbsup:

/ Adjusting BX Mower Deck #6  
LOL Great handle. Welcome :)

My theory is you may very well have written a better procedure than Kubota. I have tried it their way three or four times, never with consistent results.

/ Adjusting BX Mower Deck
Thanks for the nice words everyone. By the way, as a new tractor owner I'm finding out that even though Kubota makes a nice tractor, their manuals could be a bit better.

/ Adjusting BX Mower Deck #8  
Thanks for the nice words everyone. By the way, as a new tractor owner I'm finding out that even though Kubota makes a nice tractor, their manuals could be a bit better.

Then you should see the one on my John Deere 2305:(

/ Adjusting BX Mower Deck #10  
I just printed out your post. I hope this will work for me as well. I hate taking the mmm off and on just to use the 3 point.