Safe way to relieve pressure from hydro line

/ Safe way to relieve pressure from hydro line #1  

funwithahoe

Gold Member
Putting on my plow blade from the dealer and there was some pressure in the line - Any ideas on how to safely relieve it while being easy on the equipment?? Also, any ideas on how to stop it from happening again? I am guessing put the impliment down while attached to the tractor, turn tractor off, run the contoller through its motions, THEN disconnect???

Thanks all - I appreciate all the great advice!

/ Safe way to relieve pressure from hydro line #2  
put the implement someplace temperature stable. I find removing the bucket in the morning where it will be exposed to the midday sun is one of the worst possible scenarios.

other than that? Gloves, look away, rap the QC nipple on the front axle.

/ Safe way to relieve pressure from hydro line #3  
I dunno how safe this is, but I use gloves and safety glasses when I do this.

If a male end, tap the nipple with a hammer, if a female, use a softish drift punch, reach in and tap the end of the valve same way. OIL WILL squirt out but generally not very much. It is just that it is under pressure so the quick disconnects won't mate up.

On avoiding it in the future, you have it. Shut pump off and stir the controls....... then disconnect.

/ Safe way to relieve pressure from hydro line #4  
put the implement someplace temperature stable. I find removing the bucket in the morning where it will be exposed to the midday sun is one of the worst possible scenarios.

other than that? Gloves, look away, rap the QC nipple on the front axle.

I find temperature changes to be a problem too. Equalizing pressures with the tractor shut off before disconnecting doesn't protect against that.
It was quite cold when I took the FEL off to mount the snowblower, warm and sunny when I put the FEL back on, lots of pressure there. Put a copper drift against the QC, wrapped a rag around it and tapped the drift with a hammer.
Be nice if there was some device available to vent the lines that wasn't cumbersome and messy. Cheap would be good too:D.

/ Safe way to relieve pressure from hydro line #5  
Rather than beating on the QD poppets, I simply loosen a convenient fitting. THe trapped oil oozes out rather than spraying, and there's no potential for damage to the couplers.

/ Safe way to relieve pressure from hydro line
Rather than beating on the QD poppets, I simply loosen a convenient fitting. THe trapped oil oozes out rather than spraying, and there's no potential for damage to the couplers.

Thanks - Good idea and wouldn't take much more time!

/ Safe way to relieve pressure from hydro line #7  
No chances here,gloves or wrap rag around connection..also plastic bag end of connection help keep clean.

/ Safe way to relieve pressure from hydro line #8  
wrap with a rag if handy and give it a rap on a metal piece of tractor, watch the eyes!! Just did it today.

/ Safe way to relieve pressure from hydro line #10