Bucket Level Rods - just for fun

/ Bucket Level Rods - just for fun #1  

DiezNutz

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030-HSD-F
New M59 owner "Bill in VA" posted the following in one of his threads:

So far I find the level rod for the front bucket to be useless. Either i'm missing the point or I'm just not trusting it. Do you folks use this at all?????

This got a few comments in reply, mostly that they tend to get tangled in brush and either ripped off or taken off, or that they don't move proportionately to the bucket curl.

This was my reply:
DiezNutz said:
It's interesting to see some "ehh" comments regarding the bucket level rod.

My tractor didn't come with one, and some time back, fabricating your own seemed to be the latest rage. Some of the TBN'ers here came up with some very well executed designs that looked factory.

I never was compelled to though... my reasoning was that unless the tractor is also on flat level ground (and how often is that?), you're not really cutting a level swath. All the rod is telling you is that the loader arms & bucket have a certain relationship to each other, but nothing about the relationship of the arms to the tractor. Which also means there's only one specific position of arms and bucket where the bucket really is level.

Instead, many times I'm wanting the bucket to have a different angle of attack based on the tractor's attitude, so that the end result is level. Rod is useless there. So for me, too, the level pad on the bucket, as well as the "feel" I've developed for how the bucket is cutting in - maybe as I'm feathering the curl, is what seems to work best. :confused3:

One of the more useful "designs" I've heard of is from member TWINKLE TOES years ago... ziptied a half-filled 20oz clear plastic Coke bottle to the top of the bucket, easy to see. Kindof a low-rent spirit level, and seems like it gives a better true "level", so the right idea.

Anyway, I thought this was a good subject for discussion (maybe I'm bored), but being buried in the M59 thread probably wasn't getting much traffic.

Bucket level rods have gone from DIY, to options, to std equipment on some 'Botas (and others).

What do you think?

More hassle than they're worth?
Couldn't live without yours?
Obvious marketing ploy? (e.g., "cupholder wars")

Discuss. :)

/ Bucket Level Rods - just for fun #2  
I use mine a lot and love it. It does however get tangled in trees sometimes.

/ Bucket Level Rods - just for fun #3  
I thought of adding them but feel that tangles out weigh the need, I do most of my work in the woods.

/ Bucket Level Rods - just for fun #4  
One of the more useful "designs" I've heard of is from member TWINKLE TOES years ago... ziptied a half-filled 20oz clear plastic Coke bottle to the top of the bucket, easy to see. Kindof a low-rent spirit level, and seems like it gives a better true "level", so the right idea.

Anyway, I thought this was a good subject for discussion (maybe I'm bored), but being buried in the M59 thread probably wasn't getting much traffic.

Bucket level rods have gone from DIY, to options, to std equipment on some 'Botas (and others).

What do you think?

More hassle than they're worth?
Couldn't live without yours?
Obvious marketing ploy? (e.g., "cupholder wars")

Discuss. :)
Bucket level rods are worthless in general and usually worse in particular. They dont give level. They dont even tell you the orientation of the bucket wrt the tractor except at a single chosen point of the loader travel. Your relayed idea of a site bubble level is good if you can both see it and keep it out of the way.:thumbsup::confused3:
larry

/ Bucket Level Rods - just for fun #5  
If I don't remove mine, the get removed during work, so for me they are less than useless as I have to untangle the mess and then remove the remains.

/ Bucket Level Rods - just for fun #6  
Use mine all the time. Once setup it works well, no brush problems.
I'll set one up on the new tractor too.:thumbsup:

/ Bucket Level Rods - just for fun #7  
The best Ive seen is just a flat surface at the same orientation of the cutting edge that you can see on top of the bucket. Indestructable, and lets you effectively gauge the bucket angle and judge longitudinal "level" from the lowest point to above eye level. KISS demonstrates a notable superiority here.:drink:
larry

/ Bucket Level Rods - just for fun #8  
Pretty handy if you ask me. I don't use my tractor every day so getting the "feel" of where the bucket angle is takes some time. I'm usually done with the task by the time I figure it out. While the value of it is debateable on sloped ground, there is no doubt in my mind that it is very helpful in determining a reference point to start from. I also use it to set the bucket level when curling the bucket up after dumping. That way when it hits the ground for the next scoop it at the right angle. It works especially well when scooping snow off of a gravel surface. Just my $.02. I say it is a very useful tool, but just short of necessary.

/ Bucket Level Rods - just for fun #9  
If I drove ours into brush that got close enough to tangle with the Level Rod
my wife would shoot me.

/ Bucket Level Rods - just for fun #10  
I spend a lot of time in the brush. Never had an issue getting it tangled (stupid blinkers, on the other hand.... ).

I like it. Not sure I'd move mountains to put one on, but glad its there, and I use it a lot. Doesn't matter that it only works at certain settings, because those are the only settings I use it at...

I have the "flat bars" on a bucket too. Nice, but I like the level better.

As an aside, I don't necessarily want level from it, but rather a certain angle relative to the tractor, which is exactly what it provides.