Wheel weight options for B-series

/ Wheel weight options for B-series #1  

Verticaltrx

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200/L2501/SVL65-2/U35-4, IH 454/656, Ford NAA, Case 1845C/480E/450C LGP
I'm looking for more weight for the rear of my B3200 (at all times, not just with the loader) and was wonder what options are available as far as rear wheel weights go. As far as I know Kubota neither offers nor recommends them on this tractor, but I'm not sure why. My tires are already filled with fluid. A ballast box would help with loader use, but I also need extra weight when using my rear blade, bush hogging on steep ground, etc.

Any insight would be great.

/ Wheel weight options for B-series #2  
I think your hooped for any wheel weights or anything. You might find some at JD and then fit them to your rims but Kubota does not offer much for some dumb reason.:confused:

/ Wheel weight options for B-series #3  
If your tires are already filled, you've already put as much weight in or on the tires as you should for this tractor, and considering you're sometimes going to have a bushhog back there bouncing around.

It could just be that you're expecting too much out of a B3200.

/ Wheel weight options for B-series
I don't think I'm expecting too much out of it, it just bothers me that I have to run it in 4wd 90% of the time just to do normal work. The light weight of this tractor combined with having virtually no front axle articulation leaves me stuck a lot. Even something as simple as the edge of the bush hog digging in to the soil as I cross a slight ditch makes me have to engage 4wd. Using 4wd all the time is not how a MFWD tractor was meant to be run. I really like the small size and power of the tractor, but just need more weight on the back end. Any ideas are welcome.

/ Wheel weight options for B-series #5  
I don't think I'm expecting too much out of it, it just bothers me that I have to run it in 4wd 90% of the time just to do normal work. The light weight of this tractor combined with having virtually no front axle articulation leaves me stuck a lot. Even something as simple as the edge of the bush hog digging in to the soil as I cross a slight ditch makes me have to engage 4wd. Using 4wd all the time is not how a MFWD tractor was meant to be run. I really like the small size and power of the tractor, but just need more weight on the back end. Any ideas are welcome.

I couldn't agree with you more. I have the same issue with my B3200. Just pulling sandy soil with my rake makes me have to use 4wd. I came to the conclusion sub-compact and compact tractors are useless without 4wd. I like my tractor and all, but thank goodness its 4wd. I have found that rear ballast improves FEL work.

/ Wheel weight options for B-series #6  
I have found that rear ballast improves FEL work.
Rear ballast is *required* for FEL work, anything less is unsafe.

Now might be a good time to read your Loader manual, especially the section on "Rear Ballast", and other safety precautions.

/ Wheel weight options for B-series #7  
There have been those on the forum that have adapted weight lifting weights that can be found at a reasonable cost at garage sales and used them as wheel weights. Also some have made skid plates and frame weights to add more than loaded tires offer on their own. I guess there is always the question of when do you exceed the engineering limits of the particular tractor. That information doesn't seem to be available from Kubota though.

MarkV

/ Wheel weight options for B-series #8  
I think the problem might be with the R4s...they look good and are durable but they have horrible traction. Try some loaded ag tires or rear chains.

/ Wheel weight options for B-series #9  
You could always eat more!

/ Wheel weight options for B-series
Thanks for the replies. I will look into building a rear ballast box for loader work. I have never had experience with tractors this small before. I'm used to loader tractors that are large enough that a couple sets of wheel weights and fluid filled tires are all that's needed, even on 2wd tractors.

Weight lifting weights might be a good possibility. I can't imagine that adding another couple hundred pounds to each rear wheel would exceed the strength of the axles. As far as I know Deere offers weights for almost all of their compact tractors and I doubt there is that much difference in strength.