FEL LIFT CAPACITY

/ FEL LIFT CAPACITY #1  

Anonymous Poster

CAN A LOADER HOLD SUSPENDED MORE WEIGHT THAN IT CAN LIFT?
I HAVE A 2710 AND USE IT AROUND MY PROPERTY FOR DIGGING AND LOADING. I HAVE PULLED OUT SEVERAL ROCKS AND STUMPS THAT EXCEED THE WEIGHT LIFTING CAPACITY OF THE FEL.(882 LBS)
I STARTED OUT PUTTING A CHAIN AROUND THE ROCK (TO HOLD IT IN THE BUCKET) AND DRAGGING IT TO A DUMPING AREA. I FOUND OUT IF YOU PUSH THE ROCK FORWARD(WHILE IN THE BUCKET) UP A SMALL INCLINE-WHILE HOLDING THE LOADER VALVE TO LIFT AT THE SAME TIME THE BUCKET GOES UP (BECAUSE OF THE INCLINE). IT WILL NOW HOLD THAT POSITION WHEN YOU BACK AWAY. NOW THE BUCKET IS SEVERAL INCHES ABOUVE THE GROUND AND I DON'T HAVE TO DRAG IT. I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THE BUCKET WOULD SLOWLY LEAK DOWN, BUT THATS NOT THE CASE. ANY THOUGHTS?
FRED

/ FEL LIFT CAPACITY #2  
Fred, that's an interesting phenomenon. I don't know the answer but I think I will try the same thing. I have moved several big rocks that I couldnt lift with the loader by "nudge rolling" them. You go up to them with the bucket dumped, and then accelerate and curl the bucket at the same time. This nudges the boulder along with quite a bit of force and it rolls ahead. I can also "plow" a boulder in front of me if I don't mind leaving a track in the ground.

Glenn

/ FEL LIFT CAPACITY #3  
This is an educated guess but I would say that the limiting capacity of the FEL is governed by the pressure that can be generated by the pump for the hydraulics. You may not have enough power to lift a load but once the load is already there and the valves are closed the only way for the fel to drop is for leakage to occur past a seal or valving. So the answer to your question is yes, I would say it can support more than it can lift. The real question is do you want it to? Assuming the whole loader is speced out for max load and then a pretty generous fudge factor you'd probably be ok only exceeding the lift limit by a small amount but I'd be careful about going to far above to the point where you either blow a line or bend something.

/ FEL LIFT CAPACITY #4  
Fred, I agree with Gerard; think he described it as well as it could be described. Can be done, but be careful.

Bird

/ FEL LIFT CAPACITY #5  
Might I be so bold as to add another dimension here? To what extent will you add additional downward load pressure when you hit a dip with the front wheels? That overloaded FEL can come crashing down in a hurry. I wouldn't want to be anywhere close or in front of the tractor if that happened. I agree that if the limit is to be exceeded, that it be by a small amount only.

/ FEL LIFT CAPACITY #6  
Fred,
The 2710 FEL bucket pivot pin 1060 lbs..Forward lbs..bucket center 882 lbs.

I'm sure if you came close to your lift limit you would notice the relief valve starting to work.

Aren't those FEL better than a shovel plus a iron bars when doing projects like those. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif