Compression tester

/ Compression tester #1  

repete

Veteran Member
Tractor
L2550DT IH584-4WD
Who sells a compression testers for Kubotas? I have an L2550.

/ Compression tester #2  
Many Diesel compression testers have common adapters included or available to fit most anything, including Kubotas. They'll usually say so right on the box/product description.
Just shop around. :)

Even Harbor Freight's tester lists Kubotas, if you want an econo model.

/ Compression tester #4  
Yes either injector or glow plug. Depends on the tester, some have fittings for one or the other, or both.

I'd say glow plug is most common, and usually easiest because you don't have screw with injector lines/possible contamination, and replacing heat shields/gaskets, which you're supposed to do whenever you remove an injector.

/ Compression tester #5  
I agree the glow plug holes are easier access - also good time to test them (connect 12v jumper cables & see if the end gets red). What symptom does your L2550 have that is prompting a compression test?

/ Compression tester #6  
When you do connect the compression gage, remember to disable fuel flow at the rack. You do not want the cylinder to get any fuel while spinning the engine over during test. It will blow up your test system... KennyV

/ Compression tester
I agree the glow plug holes are easier access - also good time to test them (connect 12v jumper cables & see if the end gets red). What symptom does your L2550 have that is prompting a compression test?

Quite a bit of black smoke under load.

/ Compression tester #8  
Black smoke under load is good. Have you ever seen a semi pulling a load up a big hill or away from a stop light? Lots of black smoke.

/ Compression tester
Black smoke under load is good. Have you ever seen a semi pulling a load up a big hill or away from a stop light? Lots of black smoke.

This is new. I have about 5000 hours in the tractor and this has become more pronounced in recent months.

/ Compression tester #10  
That changes the equation, your probably due for a top overhaul.