Loader Kubota FEL with 3rd Function Valve

/ Kubota FEL with 3rd Function Valve #1  

rjkobbeman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540HD-12 2010
I ordered my tractor with the 3rd function control valve, however it took over a month after tractor delivery for the valve to arrive at the dealer. I got it home last night and thought I would share how the installation went.

For those that are unfamiliar, the 3rd function control valve is the addition of a solenoid control valve and some hydraulic plumbing to add hydraulic ports to the front of the FEL. The reason being so you can rent, buy or borrow hydraulic powered attachments for use on the QA FEL. Two examples that come to mind right away are a trencher and a post hole digger.

The 3rd function valve kit consists of a solenoid control valve, hydraulic hoses, steel hydraulic lines, new FEL joystick with an on/off switch and two control buttons, a wiring harness and mounting hardware.

Installation was very easy once I realized that the installation instructions for the 3rd function control valve was part of my FEL installation instructions. The only documentation in the kit itself was a parts manifest.

Installation went like this:

• Remove FEL valve skid-plate/cover
    Bolt on solenoid control valve to FEL valve mount
    Remove one hose going from pump to FEL valve
    Install hose going from pump to solenoid control valve
    Install hose going from FEL valve to solenoid control valve
    Install steel line from solenoid control valve to tank
    Install couplers on FEL (this is couple/decouple point so you can remove FEL - -these couplers mount right next to the FEL couplers)
    Install two hoses from solenoid control valve to the couplers on FEL
    Install steel lines along the right boom
    Install two hoses from the couplers on the FEL to the steel lines
    Install coupler mount on the front of the FEL (this is where the skid-steer couplers will attach -- they are sold separately)
    Install two hoses from the steel lines to the coupler mount on the front of the FEL
    Remove old FEL joystick and install new one
    Install wiring harnes. Wiring harnes connects to existing wiring harness on tractor, new joystick, solenoid control valve and two relays included in kit
    Last but not least, tighten ALL connections (I failed to do this step and dumped a little fluid in my driveway!)
    Oh yeah, reinstall FEL valve skid-plate/cover

Installation took about 3 hours. Now that I have done it, I could probably do it in half the time.

All I need to do now is buy some skid-steer couplers.

To operate, you press an on/off button on the joystick to activate/power the system. Once on, you press one of two buttons on the joystick handle. One button pushes fluid one direction, the other button reverses the flow. Pretty standard 3rd function operation.

As always, if you have any questions feel free to ask...

/ Kubota FEL with 3rd Function Valve #3  
Your explanation solves my question I asked in another thread earlier today. Unfortunatelty im not mechanically minded but your explanation could be followed by any dummy like me if I really tried and had the tools. But I'd let the dealer do all the work so the warranty is not lost.

Happended to me recently in Australia when i needed my Simpson Sensormatic Washing Machine repaired under warranty after only 6 months of use I called the Electrolux approved repairman to get it repaired over several visits, but on his last visit he said 'if i put a screw on the panel, it might work better, BUT it will invalidate the Warranty. So in my desparation of not wanting to keep going to a public laundry...I said yeah lets try it...BIG MISTAKE, because it still did not work, because his excuse was I was using too much washing powder would you believe...UPSHOT i still have the Electrolux LEMON and they say I cant get it repaired now...the Warranty is now invalid because their own repairman suggested taking the risk with a screw...moral of story BE VERY CAREFUL with multinationals and Warranty issues.

/ Kubota FEL with 3rd Function Valve #4  
I ordered my tractor with the 3rd function control valve, however it took over a month after tractor delivery for the valve to arrive at the dealer. I got it home last night and thought I would share how the installation went.

For those that are unfamiliar, the 3rd function control valve is the addition of a solenoid control valve and some hydraulic plumbing to add hydraulic ports to the front of the FEL. The reason being so you can rent, buy or borrow hydraulic powered attachments for use on the QA FEL. Two examples that come to mind right away are a trencher and a post hole digger.

The 3rd function valve kit consists of a solenoid control valve, hydraulic hoses, steel hydraulic lines, new FEL joystick with an on/off switch and two control buttons, a wiring harness and mounting hardware.

Installation was very easy once I realized that the installation instructions for the 3rd function control valve was part of my FEL installation instructions. The only documentation in the kit itself was a parts manifest.

Installation went like this:

• Remove FEL valve skid-plate/cover
    Bolt on solenoid control valve to FEL valve mount
    Remove one hose going from pump to FEL valve
    Install hose going from pump to solenoid control valve
    Install hose going from FEL valve to solenoid control valve
    Install steel line from solenoid control valve to tank
    Install couplers on FEL (this is couple/decouple point so you can remove FEL - -these couplers mount right next to the FEL couplers)
    Install two hoses from solenoid control valve to the couplers on FEL
    Install steel lines along the right boom
    Install two hoses from the couplers on the FEL to the steel lines
    Install coupler mount on the front of the FEL (this is where the skid-steer couplers will attach -- they are sold separately)
    Install two hoses from the steel lines to the coupler mount on the front of the FEL
    Remove old FEL joystick and install new one
    Install wiring harnes. Wiring harnes connects to existing wiring harness on tractor, new joystick, solenoid control valve and two relays included in kit
    Last but not least, tighten ALL connections (I failed to do this step and dumped a little fluid in my driveway!)
    Oh yeah, reinstall FEL valve skid-plate/cover

Installation took about 3 hours. Now that I have done it, I could probably do it in half the time.

All I need to do now is buy some skid-steer couplers.

To operate, you press an on/off button on the joystick to activate/power the system. Once on, you press one of two buttons on the joystick handle. One button pushes fluid one direction, the other button reverses the flow. Pretty standard 3rd function operation.

As always, if you have any questions feel free to ask...

What machine did you install it on.
For my L5740 the right rear wheel and fender need to be removed.

/ Kubota FEL with 3rd Function Valve #5  
What machine did you install it on.
For my L5740 the right rear wheel and fender need to be removed.

rj has an M8540 open station, very helpful guy, but I haven't seen him post in a while.