3-Point Hitch L285 3 point hitch problem

/ L285 3 point hitch problem #1  

jester0531

Tractor
kubota l285
My Fire Department just aqquired a Kubota L285 and we put a blade on it to do some leveling and to do snow removal. When I put the blade down it seems there's no positive down pressure and the blade won't stay down. Without the blade and the 3 point in the lowered position, you can lift the 3 point with your hands. Is that normal or is there a problem?

/ L285 3 point hitch problem #2  
Yes it normal that you can lift the 3pt. arms by hand. There is no down pressure on the three point hitch. All you have is the weight of the implement. You can adjust the pitch of the blade with the top link to help it dig in some, but don't expect much. A box scraper is much better for moving material. Hope this helps.

/ L285 3 point hitch problem
Thanks for the information.

/ L285 3 point hitch problem #4  
If you still can't get enough bite, you might consider welding a ~1" vertical pipe on the frame over the blade, that would allow you to stack some free weights on top of it. Or find some unsuspecting schmuck to stand on it. :D

For snow removal though, once you get the pitch set right, you probably don't want any additional downforce, or you're going to scrape up whatever surface you're plowing.

/ L285 3 point hitch problem #5  
Sorry I'm not familiar with the L285, but I just sold a 1982 model L295DT after 15 years of reliable use, and it had something most "modern" small tractors lack: a draft control! The draft control DOES give you down pressure on the 3-pt. On my L295DT it was a separate, smaller lever just to the left of the larger 3-pt lift lever. Check to see if your L285 has it, and if so, try it. With the draft control lever all the way up, the 3-pt lift control lever acts just like any other tractor. But as you push the draft lever down, you get increasing resistance to UP movement of the hitch, but without affecting the feel of the main 3-pt lift control. Pretty slick, don't understand why more new tractors don't have it. Makes a noticeable difference with lighter weight ground engaging equipment.

/ L285 3 point hitch problem #6  
Good tip, Picker! :thumbsup: Didn't even think about draft control... like you said, not used to seeing it these days.