Bad fuel aftermath

/ Bad fuel aftermath #1  

farmgirlky

Tractor
Kubota BX2200
I have a 2001 BX2200 that I bought new. It's got about 250 hours on it. Recently I apparently put diesel in it that was half water. A mechanic came out (it's very expensive to get my tractor to the dealership), drained some of the fuel out, put some 911 in it, and got it started. I didn't drive it around or mow with it, which I should have. The next time I went to use it, it wouldn't start again. So mechanic came back out, and this time he drained more fuel and replaced the fuel filter on the left side of the engine. Now it starts fine but about 20 minutes into mowing it will lose power until it stops. I've added what should be good diesel. (I don't fill it up because I'm one of those who has one of the tanks that leaks if you fill it.) I'm losing faith in the mechanic, but don't want to take it to the dealership unless I absolutely have to. I don't know much about tractors (although I'm learning more and more every day!). But I can drain fuel and replace the filter again. I can't drop the mower, so I don't know if I can get to the other filter (the mechanic did not replace that one). Can anyone help me? Please, in your replies, write like you're talking to a young child. :eek: Thanks in advance for your help.

/ Bad fuel aftermath #2  
Just my opinion but I think you got some bad service from the mechanic. If he/she felt like the problem was water in the fuel it should all have been drained, filter changed and new fresh fuel installed. If you are still having problems drain the whole tank and start with new fuel and filter if possible. There is only one fuel filter, the one under the tractor is for hydraulic fluid.

MarkV

/ Bad fuel aftermath #3  
I would drain tank purchase couple filters,also if you have bleeder screw open it...yes it can be pain but better than rough running engine etc.

/ Bad fuel aftermath #5  
mechanic changed ONE filter ? doesnt the BX2200 have 2 of them? I would replace both filters. This is something you could do yourself.

What I would do is :
first drain the fuel out completely.
next replace both filters
then before reconnecting the lines, use compressed air to blow line going to tank.
reconnect lines and purchase a MR funnel.
when adding more diesel, be sure to pour into mr funnel to be sure water and particulate is seperated.
check your air filter and air inlet rubber to make sure air can enter freely.

If you are still having problems, let us know and we can go from there. there are many possiblities, like bad feul pump, etc.

/ Bad fuel aftermath #7  
   / Bad fuel aftermath #8  
In my opinion, the mechanic did you a real disservice by not replacing the fuel filter under the tractor. Both fuel filters should have been replaced and all bad fuel drained. Not sure but I don't think 911 works well enough to treat a 50/50 mix of diesel/water. To get the rear fuel filter replaced, someone will have to remove the MMM (mower) to access it or be very limber.

/ Bad fuel aftermath #9  
First, welcome to TBN, farmgirlky:)

Sad that your early posts are re fuel difficulties...we'll try to help.

Based on what you said, I agree with others that proper fuel is what you need...with no water.

That is your ultimate objective...and you are not the only one to have had this problem...on occasion water can get into the diesel you are using. The purpose of the fuel filters is to stop the water before it gets to the engine. If you have just a very small amount of water, this will get stopped by the filter and the filter will pass diesel thru.

Water is heavier than diesel, thus it falls to the bottom of a fuel filter. On my tractor, there is a glass bowl with the filter where you can see how much water, if any, there is in the system. In my case, I can remove the trapped water by opening a petcock at the bottom of the glass bowl. I don't know if your tractor has a bowl or not, suspect not, else someone else would have suggested draining water that way.

The good news is that all should be well with no damage to your tractor after you get rid of all bad fuel, install new filters and get it running again.
Best wishes...let us know how it goes.

/ Bad fuel aftermath #10  
for the future....don't go back to the same fuel supplier from which your headaches began...are there other high volubme off road suppliers around with fresh fuel? old tanks can be the culprits too....good luck b