Ever change a Kubota dual stage clutch?

/ Ever change a Kubota dual stage clutch? #11  
I would definitely look at your linkage from the column to the gearbox. Have someone move it while you watch it. Look for any slop.

I do not think the fluid would have a lot to do with the hard movement. Is it binding against the body?

Is this tractor used regularly (weekly)? Stored indoors or at least covered? Lubrication may be the key here. I lubricate my linkage (all pivot points) probably once a year with motor oil. This is a good time to do it as we head into winter to avoid rust.

/ Ever change a Kubota dual stage clutch?
The 3-point hitch issue was hydraulic and is working now. Thanks!!!

The bigger issue is still the PTO lever jumping out of the engaged position and the force is so great it can't be tied down or even held with my foot. It stays engaged and spins fine with no implement, but is knocking hard when we hook up any bushhog, forcing the lever back to the neutral position.

The ag mechanic who just changed the dual-clutch assembly told me we should have changed a clutch plate while it was open (is there another plate besides the dual assembly that I need to get ???? ).

More importantly, he thinks the lever disengaging is a transmission issue and wants to go in below the steering column. He thinks it might be a worn spline.

I guess I'm stupid here, but is his thinking logical, that the problem is up front and not in the housing with the rear-end gear at the back?

/ Ever change a Kubota dual stage clutch? #13  
The PTO jumping out of gear is a busted or damaged gear, it has nothing to do with the clutch. It is likely going to be the gear that slides to engage the PTO or the one it engages into.

Brian

The PTO jumping out of gear is a busted or damaged gear, it has nothing to do with the clutch. It is likely going to be the gear that slides to engage the PTO or the one it engages into. Brian

Is this gear in the rear-end in back/under the seat or in the transmission in the front?

/ Ever change a Kubota dual stage clutch? #15  
It has been a long time since I have had my eyes on an L2650. I would guess that it is more in the transmission section not the differential section. Whatever section the PTO shift lever is in, will be where the gears are. Your workshop manual should be able to point you in the right direction.

Brian

/ Ever change a Kubota dual stage clutch? #16  
The knocking and popping out of engagement is a pretty clear symptom set for broken teeth on the pto gears. You'll find the broken ones inside the short middle section of the transmission.

The pto knocking issue is unrelated to the trans oil level or the stiff up-down hitch lever. The lever has a friction jam nut on it that can be tightened or loosened - if too loose it will drop by gravity, if tightened it takes more effort.

The knocking and popping out of engagement is a pretty clear symptom set for broken teeth on the pto gears. You'll find the broken ones inside the short middle section of the transmission.

That is the plan for my ag tech. While I wish he had told me he'd never worked on a Kubota before he starting tearing down mine, he says they are pretty much the same though mine "has a lot of sheet metal to take off first" which I'm not too sure about.

/ Ever change a Kubota dual stage clutch? #18  
That is the plan for my ag tech. While I wish he had told me he'd never worked on a Kubota before he starting tearing down mine, he says they are pretty much the same though mine "has a lot of sheet metal to take off first" which I'm not too sure about.

There is a lot of sheet metal on that tractor. Fortunately it is in small sections and not big sections that are more difficult to remove like some other manufacturers.

Brian

The pto knocking issue is unrelated to the trans oil level or the stiff up-down hitch lever. The lever has a friction jam nut on it that can be tightened or loosened - if too loose it will drop by gravity, if tightened it takes more effort.

Well, I finally got my tractor back. I wasn't impressed with the ag tech on many accounts but he was able to replace the gears where the splines were missing or word down considerably. What caused that anyway?

Where exactly is that friction jam nut to adjust the stiff lever?

/ Ever change a Kubota dual stage clutch? #20  
Well, I finally got my tractor back. I wasn't impressed with the ag tech on many accounts but he was able to replace the gears where the splines were missing or word down considerably. What caused that anyway?

Where exactly is that friction jam nut to adjust the stiff lever?

By splines I assume you mean teeth. It would be rare that the splines would wear out. Broken or missing teeth are caused by shock loading of the PTO, I would say the likely cause would be a improperly adjusted mower or tiller slip clutch, one that is rusted together and not working properly, or if it has a shear bolt, and the bolt was replaced with a higher grade bolt so instead of the bolt shearing it transfers the load to the gears.

The friction jam nut is on the lever right where it pivots.

Brian