Tires B7500 upgrade to bigger tires?

/ B7500 upgrade to bigger tires? #1  

abheye

Bronze Member
Tractor
1957 Case 311, Cub cadet 800, 1981Snapper LT11,2002 Kubota B7500HSD
I have R4s on my machine now. Has anyone installed bigger size tires? I have plenty of clearance under the fenders with my tires, compared to a 2910, which has little space. I want more clearance under the tractor,along with a smoother ride from the bigger diameter. I realize I will lose some power with oversize tires, and I know that a 3 inch taller tire will amount to half that. Thanks for any help.

/ B7500 upgrade to bigger tires? #2  
Hi,

I wonder why you think a larger tire diameter would give you a smoother ride on a tractor...speeds are so slow...

Seems to me the softer ride would be more a function of the softness of the tire, rather than the diameter.

A stiff wall R4 would be harsher than something like I got on my B2910 [surprised me...] which is a 4 ply tire.

So my advice, worth little or nothing I should warn you, is to consider the tire itself, rather than the diamerter if you are looking for a softer ride.

Bill in Pgh, PA...

/ B7500 upgrade to bigger tires? #3  
Would a bigger R4 put more strain on the transmission than it could handle? I have a 7500hst with turfs and keep the rear tires alittle soft (16psi) to smooth out the ride. I wouldn't want to reduce the useable power / torque.

/ B7500 upgrade to bigger tires? #4  
I did miss the desire for the increased ground clearance.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

cchoate's point of the importance of tire pressure and its affect on ride is well taken. I run 12 psi on my rear R4 tires, which are liquid filled, and I think others have reported running even less PSI in their filled tires.

Try lowering your rear tire pressure and see if you notice a difference in the ride...Won't help with the ground clearance though.../w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ B7500 upgrade to bigger tires? #5  
Not to bore the regulars who already read this on another post. My 7500 has 12-16.5 R4's on the rear with 7# of pressure and 15 gallons of antifreeze. Fronts are 23x850-14 R4's with 10# and no liquid. I use a FEL, so there's some deflection on the fronts when the bucket is full. Rears show little deflection even when toting the RFM. The ride is pretty comfy compared with when I was running higher pressures..............chim

/ B7500 upgrade to bigger tires? #6  
There's lots of tires out there. It should be fairly easy to get the taller tire. But..... You have to ratio match your tires on the 4x4 tractor. If the front and rear tires are not paired correctly, 4x4 will not work right. It will bind the gears, resulting in blown driveshafts, tranny's, u-joints, ring and pinions ect.

http://www.firestoneag.com/tiredata/ag_flotation/agflotation.asp

/ B7500 upgrade to bigger tires? #7  
I think, but not sure, that you could install the slightly larger tires that are used on the "better" B2410. (he he) J

/ B7500 upgrade to bigger tires? #8  
I installed larger tires on my "L" series Kubota after checking fender and backspacing for clearance. I was surprised to find after I got the new ones mounted that with the three point hitch in the upper position I have interfereance with some of the implements rubbing the tires. I'll probably add about an inch in the length of the arms to compensate. It's a relatively minor inconvenience, but worth checking on your tractor.

/ B7500 upgrade to bigger tires? #9  
What size tires did you move up to? And why? Did it help with stability?

/ B7500 upgrade to bigger tires? #10  
I changed to the next larger size to try to compensate for the wide gap between 4th and 5th gears. Sometimes 4th was too slow for my needs and 5th was too fast. I really wanted a little more speed in 4th (sounds like a good argument for hydro, doesn't it?). My tire dealer also had a private label tire (ag tires) in this size for less than the original size.

I couldn't discern any stability improvement as I didn't notice any instability before the change. By the way, it didn't make a noticable difference in 4th gear speed, either. I calculated it to be a .2 mph increase.