Rolled my 3240, and it ran till it blew ??

/ Rolled my 3240, and it ran till it blew ?? #1  

SteveCornell

Silver Member
Tractor
2017 Kubota L6060 HSTC
I rolled my tractor over on it's side tonight (Kubota L3240) thank goodness for the roll bar, I didn't get a scratch, I was filling in a ditch and the tractor slid sideways and rolled over on it's side, it rolled over real slow but probably would have come on over on top of me if not for the roll bar, yes I'm lucky and it was really a freak accident, everything just came together and it happened.
Now I am REALLY POed!!! the darn thing would not shut off!!, I pulled the key, hit every safety switch, made sure the seat safety switch was depressed and hit the go pedal, kicked in the PTO, pulled all the fuses, made sure the throttle was at idle, I couldn't get the hood open to get to the air cleaner, the darn thing just screamed wide open and blew all the oil out the exhaust until it quit, probably 10 minutes, (seized I suspect)
Why would it not shut down????? I'm gonna want answers from Kubota, there is not a scratch on the tractor, I was able to get it set back on it's wheels with my pickup, but now the engine will probably need a rebuild, I don't understand why it would not shut down, any ideas?? I'm too upset to deal with it tonight, I'll put some oil in it in the morning and see if it will turn over..... sorry for the rant, just really upset right now.

/ Rolled my 3240, and it ran till it blew ?? #2  
Wow man! Sorry I can't offer any ideas. Sure am glad your not hurt! At least your able to walk away.

Let us know tomorrow how it goes.

/ Rolled my 3240, and it ran till it blew ?? #4  
Your engine was running on its own oil and ran until it ran out of oil. See Diesel engine runaway for a full explication.

Aaron Z

Wow, first I ever heard of that but that sounds exactly like what the OP desribed. If it ever happens to me, at least now I know to pull my socks off and stuff them in the breather. :eek:

/ Rolled my 3240, and it ran till it blew ?? #5  
Glad to hear you're OK Steve...don't forget to thank the big guy tomorrow.:thumbsup:

/ Rolled my 3240, and it ran till it blew ?? #6  
Your engine was running on its own oil and ran until it ran out of oil. See Diesel engine runaway for a full explication.

Aaron Z
Thanks for this link---I have done mechanic work for over 50 years and realized I still learn something most every day:thumbsup:
I think the OP had the right idea if he could have opened the hood to cut air supply:(

/ Rolled my 3240, and it ran till it blew ?? #7  
If it ever happens to me, at least now I know to pull my socks off and stuff them in the breather.
Letting it eat a large snout full of fire extinguisher will also shut it down.

/ Rolled my 3240, and it ran till it blew ?? #8  
Does synthetic oil burn ? If not, would that have prevented this problem or could it still be a fuel supply issue ??

/ Rolled my 3240, and it ran till it blew ??
Yes, synthetic oil will burn, that's what was in it.
If it still runs tomorrow or if I can afford to rebuild it, I will install an emergency kill (air kill) we have them on all of our diesel equipment working on gas well sites as a diesel will do the same thing if the intake picks up natural gas, it will run at a very high RPM until it blows, I know of people that have been killed operating dozers that hit a gas pipeline, the engine ran away, blew, and caught the entire location on fire.

/ Rolled my 3240, and it ran till it blew ?? #10  
Man, that s#%@s. But you walked away without being hurt, thats big. Those accidents happen so fast it amazing, but it sure seems like slow motion when you are in the picture?