B2910 hour meter ?

/ B2910 hour meter ? #1  

Anonymous Poster

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the hour meter on my B2910 clocks true hours or if it is somehow tied to engine RPM?

I remember in the past reading a comment that some tractors only clock true hours if they are running at the engine speed that gives 540 RPM at the rear PTO.

Sometimes my "body clock" and the hour meter on the tractor seem to be in disagreement...the body clock saying that more hours have been spent in the tractor seat than the tractor's hour meter is saying.

And no, I am NOT counting the hours I find myself sitting there, holding on to the steering wheel pretending to be operating with the engine off! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ B2910 hour meter ? #2  
Hi Bill,

It's related to the engine RPM. I believe it's calibrated so that one hour at PTO rpm will clock as an hour on the meter. If the engine is turning slower, than the hour meter will read proportionately less.

~Rick

/ B2910 hour meter ?
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the info. Sure seemed like that was the case.

How do they accomplish that, I wonder? Is the hour meter somehow driven mechanically? If so, then lower RPM would result in slower hour accumulation, which makes sense.

Actually it is an interesting concept. Tracking hours that are not really hours at all, but rather a measure of engine wear or some such thing. Run the tractor at half RPM and get charged one hour for two hours of use. Run at max RPM and get charged one hour for one hour of use, since the wear and tear at max rpm is greater (I suppose).

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ B2910 hour meter ? #4  
Hi Bill,

I'm assuming it's a mechanical cable connection of some type. I guess I'll check the service manual one of these days.

On a related note, Congratulations! You've managed to put more hours on your tractor in 2 months than I've been able to put on in 2 years! I received delivery of mine in June 2000 and I only have about 65 hours on her.

Actual seat time is probably over 100, but most of the work I do with mine (loader & backhoe) is well below PTO rpm, so I benefit a bit from Kubota's chronology technology.

The way things are going, it'll probably be paid off before it hits 100 hours.

I guess one of my problems is that on 2/3 of an acre of property, it only takes about a minute to get from one corner of the yard to the other....even if I go the long way. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Stay safe!

~Rick

/ B2910 hour meter ?
It looks like the hour meter is related to engine rpm's on my 2910, too. I spent about 5 hours today cleaning up rocks, and tree limbs out of our new yard with the landscape rake. Most of my time was spent at about 1500 RPM's in low range, and about 1 hour at idle speed. The hour meter only logged a little over 2 hours. I'm glad to see that, as at the rate I plan to work for the next few weeks, I'd be doing the 50 hr maintainance about every 10 days.

Don M.

/ B2910 hour meter ?
Hi,

Thanks for the congrats, Rick!

Acutally, my hour meter now reads somethink like 107 today. I have been running a little higher RPM now, something like 2,200 today for the most part, and noticed that the hours accumulate faster.

Lots of loader work was the reason. With the back hoe I usually keep it at 1,800 to 2,000.

Boy is this B2910 a workhorse! Really glad I got the bigger tractor. Probably also glad that the rebate forced my decision! Not telling where I might have stopped in the quest for more power otherwise!

Deminin...I better check my manual. I thought the next service was at 150 hours...

Bill in Pgh, PA