Snow Winter is coming snowblower question

/ Winter is coming snowblower question #32  
potato, potatoe, theres nothing wrong with that PUMA.

It would be even better with a narrow solid ribbon and Clarences impeller kit, the Frontier would benefit just as well.

the top edge is not full width as it will allow the auger to suck down tall snow drifts without having it spill over the blower and leaving snow.

The bearing housing is not an issue where it may be cast to accept 2 bolts or 4 bolts depending on the manufacturer, shaft diameter, shaft speed, side loading, and vibration created by the intended purpose.

if the base edge steel is thicker anyway with a scraper curve in the rear of the housing and at the base of the sidewalls why would I need skid shoes when I want to scrape to pavement or road surface?

Last edited:
   / Winter is coming snowblower question #33  
potato, potatoe, theres nothing wrong with that PUMA.

It would be even better with a narrow solid ribbon and Clarences impeller kit, the Frontier would benefit just as well.

the top edge is not full width as it will allow the auger to suck down tall snow drifts without having it spill over the blower and leaving snow.

The bearing housing is not an issue where it may be cast to accept 2 bolts or 4 bolts depending on the manufacturer, shaft diameter, shaft speed, side loading, and vibration created by the intended purpose.

if the base edge steel is thicker anyway with a scraper curve in the rear of the housing and at the base of the sidewalls why would I need skid shoes when I want to scrape to pavement or road surface?

I don't view snowblowers as "scrapers." Even if I had an asphalt driveway a one or 2 inch "base" is what would be desired.

I am certain the Frontier would stand up to any task that the Puma would...often with better results, or should I say, efficiencies.

Yawn.

/ Winter is coming snowblower question #34  
Uh huh,
green with envy when you see red:thumbsup:

/ Winter is coming snowblower question #35  
The Pronovost Puma no longer has adjustable skids ? ?

My 2005 Puma 64 has adjustable skids,
but they are not visible looking toward the rear of the snowblower.

Attachments

• PumaSkid.JPG
    PumaSkid.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 429
   / Winter is coming snowblower question #36  
Gerford,

I had a 3 pt Puma 54" with front FEL combination. I sold the Puma and went with the front Kubota blower. I was tired of doing a lot of backing up. Since you have the quick hitch already I would buy the front blower and sell the blade and put that $$ towards a cab. That is what I did with the Puma and I am happy not to have a sore neck anymore.:thumbsup:

/ Winter is coming snowblower question #37  
The Pronovost Puma no longer has adjustable skids ? ?

My 2005 Puma 64 has adjustable skids,
but they are not visible looking toward the rear of the snowblower.

probably the same for rut3556's PUMA

/ Winter is coming snowblower question #38  
Well, well....My old friend leonz is back. How ya been.??

Great comparison of blowers right here. You see that the Puma has 25" height as compared to 26" on the Frontier. The Frontier impellar is 24" as compared to 20" on the Puma. The auger ends on the Frontier is bolted on heavy-duty with 4 bolts where as the Puma has just the 2. You can also the see that the Frontier auger has heavier re-enforcement "studs" and thicker steel. The Frontier has heavy duty adjustable skid shoes where the Puma has none. Side walls don't compare well to the Frontier, either. You can see that. One thing you can't see in the pictures is that the Frontier weighs a hefty 479lbs. The Puma just 382lbs...or is it 362lbs., leonz.?? Oh ya, look at the chains, as well. The Frontier is a #60 chain and the Puma is #50 chain.

Just look at the 2 blowers closely. I'll choose the green one everytime.

Good night, leonz.:cool:
I was researching the Frontier Snowblowers.
Do have the Frontier SB1164 snowblower ?

/ Winter is coming snowblower question #39  
Boy, the front or rear blower question is a tough one for me too. I had a front blower on my JD 2720 and it worked great. I loved it but the shoot cables sucked, really terrible setup.
Now I have the 3320 and it's coming time to think about another blower. The front blower requires the front QA setup so if I need my bucket or forks for moving wood or something I have to take it off. I can leave on the BH all winter though which I like. On the 2720 I had to take off the BH to get the front blower on- PITA.
I like the cost of the rear blower, it's a couple of grand cheaper than the front blower but looking over my shoulder sucks on my 600 foot plus driveway and the BH has to come off. Last year in the ice I slipped off the driveway into a ditch. It took three hours to dig out, I really should have gotten chains but I never needed them in the several years I've plowed with MFWD. Anyway the BH can get you out of jams pretty easily and even pull you up hills.
So the bottom line is cost. The front blower with the QA goes for about 5 grand. Oooouch! I can get a decent rear blower for about 2 to 2.5k.

Rob

/ Winter is coming snowblower question #40  
I have over a mile of dirt road to maintain and I have a B7800 with a 60" rear mount snowblower with front loader and it has been perfect for maintaining a wide road with no snow banks. The snowblower is a JRW (Canada) and it is a terrific machine. I paid $1700 for it new in 2003 and other than a few shear bolts I have had to do nothing other than normal maintenance to it. It is a heavy gauge steel and the auger is solid.

The front end loader adds the needed ballast - plus it makes moving snowbanks where the State plows the main road easy and it is nice to be able to scrape areas where I don't want to scape with the blower. I don't use chains and have never been stuck.