Snow Winter is coming snowblower question

/ Winter is coming snowblower question #1  

gerford

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX23
I have a BX23 that I use for plowing. We had a big snow year last year in Colorado and I've been looking at getting a rear mounted snow blower to clean up the areas that the plow doesn't do well. I've got 3 driveways I keep clear that are each about 500' long. For most of the length the plow works fine, but some of the areas get really narrow and its tough to move the snow where I can get it out of the way. I went out to the dealer today and after looking at the rear snow blowers, I'm worried that its to much weight off the 3 point hitch to have the front plow work well since the front will be so light. I can get the front mounted blower but I would have to switch out the front blower and plow depending on snow conditions.

Does anybody use the front Kubota plow and a rear snow blower? How does it work? Does the front end get to light for the plow to be effective with the rear blower on?
I went out a couple of times last year and the snow was so deep that it was coming over the top of the plow and a blower would have been much better.

Should I get the rear snow blower with the front plow?
Or
Use the front plow and switch over to the front snowblower when needed? My dealer said to forget a rear blower since the front end would be so light.

I already have the quick hitch so the price is about the same for the front or rear snow blower. The rear blower looks really heavy duty so it weighs about 500 lbs

/ Winter is coming snowblower question #2  
the snow blower saga continues:

I have a BX23 that I use for plowing. We had a big snow year last year in Colorado and I've been looking at getting a rear mounted snow blower to clean up the areas that the plow doesn't do well. I've got 3 driveways I keep clear that are each about 500' long. For most of the length the plow works fine, but some of the areas get really narrow and its tough to move the snow where I can get it out of the way. I went out to the dealer today and after looking at the rear snow blowers, I'm worried that its to much weight off the 3 point hitch to have the front plow work well since the front will be so light. I can get the front mounted blower but I would have to switch out the front blower and plow depending on snow conditions.

Does anybody use the front Kubota plow and a rear snow blower? How does it work? Does the front end get to light for the plow to be effective with the rear blower on?
I went out a couple of times last year and the snow was so deep that it was coming over the top of the plow and a blower would have been much better.

Or
Use the front plow and switch over to the front snowblower when needed? My dealer said to forget a rear blower since the front end would be so light.

I already have the quick hitch so the price is about the same for the front or rear snow blower. The rear blower looks really heavy duty so it weighs about 500 lbs

a lot of people have front blowers with only rear chains and unloaded tires we did for a long time with our cub cadet years ago as well as the simplicity blower we had.

Its no secret I like the Pronovost snow blowers and their line of machinery and the quality sells itself.

I know of one case where a gentleman runs or did run two blowers on one kubota tractor-municipal unit from what I remember-lots of sidewalks

The rear Kubota does not have a scraper blade or a bottom plate to tie the bottom edges together from what I remember.

For your BX you could operate a PUMA 48 to 72 inch blower, the model 72 has a 29 inch depth of cut where the three smaller PUMA rear mounts have a 24 and one half inch depth of cut.

If you have dual remotes you can order dual hydraulic controls for the chute and spout or manual controls "as an option"

If you have cruise control you should be able to set the speed in reverse and just move with no foot pedal- my wheel horse has cruise control and I am able to set it in reverse when needed to crawl when backing.

It does not sound as if you have loaded tires, and it should not be an issue for you as the cross augers for any rear snow blower will pull in all the snow in front of it.

Never mind the "light front end" business if you have loaded tires and rear chains;

why would he tell you that if the quick attach mounting frame, snow blower frame, mid point PTO and engine are all up front???????

Ask him if he would rather lose a sale than a customer, and if he hesitates you have your answer.

Did he fail to mention the sidewalls of the RAD rear blower may flex and bind the rear auger if you have heavy ice and snow banks to get rid of with the blower? -I bet not.

You can buy a front blade to attach to the loader bucket if you want to do that
easily enough.

The cutting height for either RAD KUBOTA snow blower is lower than the Pronovost units and it avoids spill over and getting stuck in areas where you could sink.

The PUMA as a small farm-rated blower with a 48 to 72 inch cut will serve you well and will be a very good purchase as it is solid and well built. You will be able to use it on another tractor with no issues either.

The 48 inch rear blower will allow you to run the power right up to the top end and clear the snow at a faster rear speed of travel as you will have more horse power per foot available to you at work.

if time is not an issue the 72 inch blower with the 29 inch cut is another way to go with the middle two units between the 48 and 72 inch as another option but linited to the 24.5 inch cutting height.

You could buy a wireless remote camera or mount large rearview mirrors to watch things but the camera would be less money and easier to mount on the rops.

www.pronovost.co.qb/snowblowers

disclaimer: I do not represent Machineries Pronovost or Kubota

Last edited:
   / Winter is coming snowblower question #3  
If you get a blower, you won't need a plow.

And, if you are worried about the weight of the blower making the front end light put your bucket on, if you have one.

I would go with a front blower with some rear weight (for traction) and not look back.

Shop around for a blower looking for quality and price. Puma is not the only blower out there as leonz would suggest.

I would start by looking at the Kubota blowers which are made by RAD Technologies, I think.??....Good blower right there. I would think you want a blower in the 60" range.

/ Winter is coming snowblower question #4  

Or

Our Buhler/Farmking 50 inch rear mount is on sale currently for $1995 + shipping. Ken Sweet

Last edited:
   / Winter is coming snowblower question #5  
I use the Kubota front mount blower with the hydro chute rotator and I'll never switch back to a loader or plow. So much faster. Yeah in windy conditions snow blows back at you sometimes but that unit thows snow like nothing I've seen before. And being that your not driving with your head turned around backward like with a rear mount is a big plus.

/ Winter is coming snowblower question #6  
I have the slightly larger B2620, and last winter I used a rear mounted snowblower (RAD / Blizzard 54"). It worked OK, and I did use the loader a few times during the winter, but I'm not completely thrilled with the set up. I was able to maintain steering control up front with the loader on though. Remember, the loader "can" be used with the Kubota quick hitch for the front blower installed. I do have to say that last winter was the easiest I've ever had for keeping up witht the snow though. My dealer has a couple of used front mounted snowblowers hanging around so I may just see what I can do in a trade.

/ Winter is coming snowblower question #7  
the snow blower saga continues:

a lot of people have front blowers with only rear chains and unloaded tires we did for a long time with our cub cadet years ago as well as the simplicity blower we had.

Its no secret I like the Pronovost snow blowers and their line of machinery and the quality sells itself.

I know of one case where a gentleman runs or did run two blowers on one kubota tractor-municipal unit from what I remember-lots of sidewalks

The rear Kubota does not have a scraper blade or a bottom plate to tie the bottom edges together from what I remember.

For your BX you could operate a PUMA 48 to 72 inch blower, the model 72 has a 29 inch depth of cut where the three smaller PUMA rear mounts have a 24 and one half inch depth of cut.

If you have dual remotes you can order dual hydraulic controls for the chute and spout or manual controls "as an option"

If you have cruise control you should be able to set the speed in reverse and just move with no foot pedal- my wheel horse has cruise control and I am able to set it in reverse when needed to crawl when backing.

It does not sound as if you have loaded tires, and it should not be an issue for you as the cross augers for any rear snow blower will pull in all the snow in front of it.

Never mind the "light front end" business if you have loaded tires and rear chains;

why would he tell you that if the quick attach mounting frame, snow blower frame, mid point PTO and engine are all up front???????

Ask him if he would rather lose a sale than a customer, and if he hesitates you have your answer.

Di he fail to mention the sidewalls of the RAD rear blower may flex and bind the rear auger if you have heavy ice and snow banks to get rid of with the blower? -I bet not.

You can buy a front blade to attach to the loader bucket if you want to do that
easily enough.

The cutting height for either RAD KUBOTA snow blower is lower than the Pronovost units and it avoids spill over and getting stuck in areas where you could sink.

The PUMA as a small farm-rated blower with a 48 to 72 inch cut will serve you well and will be a very good purchase as it is solid and well built. You will be able to use it on another tractor with no issues either.

The 48 inch rear blower will allow you to run the power right up to the top end and clear the snow at a faster rear speed of travel as you will have more horse power per foot available to you at work.

if time is not an issue the 72 inch blower with the 29 inch cut is another way to go with the middle two units between the 48 and 72 inch as another option but linited to the 24.5 inch cutting height.

You could buy a wireless remote camera or mount large rearview mirrors to watch things but the camera would be less money and easier to mount on the rops.

www.pronovost.co.qb/snowblowers

disclaimer: I do not represent Machineries Pronovost or Kubota

JD Greengrass and I disgree and thats healthy but I have examined all the issues with the use of the rear blowers versus the front blowers extensively here on the forum for everyone and myself.

Having been around snowblowers my whole life, truck, railroad snow clearers and walk behinds as well as front and rear mounts the issue is useage and durability AND peace of mind. any b lower will fail thats not the issue the quality of the build and the steel thickness are the issue the RAD rar mounted unit will bind the augers as has been mentioned here before if dealing with snow banks and thier removal as there is no base plate. the auger is totally exposed with the decision being made that the cross auger will be used to clear the snow away from the ground as much as possible bypassing the need for a base mounting plate poor design in this mechaincs opinion on all counts.

You cannot get away from the simple rule (the stronger the construction, the better the steel, the thicker the steel the fewer worries and I will sleep at night knowing the housing will not bind or flex and bend the auger end shaft
and ruin the carrier bearings which float in the end mounting plates.

You lose some available power and torque with any front mount due to gear reduction and propeller shaft length from the mid mount PTO of any smaller SCUT and thats a given.

With the belt driven front mounted blowers the weakness is the heat, and melted snow, V belt, and shock loads.

as an example
when you buy more tractor than you need you will have more power when and if it is required and the engine will not even breathe harder.

The snow in the rockies can be both powder, and wet and heavy, and melt and wiegh more per cubic foot when you need to remove it especially if you have layers of snow and freeze thaw cycles where it all becomes heavy all at once.

Any open auger design is fine for powder but it will flood the impeller housing which I have detailed previously here and on plowsite.com

Having narrower flighting angles on an open auger snow blower will allow any snow blower to throw snow further and faster with less work and surge loading of the impeller housing to avoid flooding it.

Using fluid film, less costly cooking spray or WD 40 works wonders for any snow blower to reduce clogging.

IF one overspends so to speak even a small width blower like the PUMA 48 with the dual hydraulics it will cost them less per day in total ownership cost of the unit as the unit will out last the tractor because of the plate steel construction and full length welds and heavy guage steel plating used in its assembly.

choosing a snow blower or the purchase of a rotary mower versus a flail mower has to be examined closely for its utility, safety in use, contruction quality of components which will immediately come to the forefront in the event of heavy use and snow falls.

The pronovost line of snow blowers is built and contructed for farm use in canadian winters and that in itself tells you a lot. and my seeing the qualitry of workmanship up close is proof to me about them entirely.

Saying that- a lot of snow removal contractors who are members of plowsite.com use Pronovost snow blowers as well.

Last edited:
   / Winter is coming snowblower question #8  
I use to use a front mounted snowblower on a
Wheel Horse Garden Tractor, and was leary about the rearmount snowblower setup.
For the last 5-6 years I have had a Puma 64 rear blower on my Kubota B7800, which takes care of a 530 ft. and 300 ft. gravel driveway.
I am happy to say I have no problem backing up to take care of the snow.
Because of the Hydostat pedal on my tractor, I am able to place the heel of my right foot on the pedal, which allows me to spin my butt around so that I can set almost sideways in the seat.
So there really isn't much neck strain, (at least in my situation)
I like the flexibility of using the front bucket to move snow too.
I have situations around buildings in which its better to move snow with the bucket rather than with the snowblower.
Also there are times I need to rake snow off roofs. If the snow is wet, once it falls to the ground it packs into a pile that often times the snow blower will not penetrate.
The snowblower will just ride up over the top of the pile. The front end bucket however takes care of these wet packed snowpiles very easily.
Some other reasons I went with the rearmount snowblower.
(This was 6 years ago so some situtations may be different now)
1).The Kubota front mounts "to me" did not look as heavy duty looking as the rearmount Pronovost Pumas. Pumas used heavier gauge metal.
Puma had grease fittings in some areas that Kubota did not.
2). The Kubota front mount blowers were more expensive.
3). The drive train on the front mounts "appeared to me" to be more complex with it's additional universal joints. And the drive train
"to me" looked like it would be more difficult to work on if a break down should occur.
4). Frontmount snowblowers "appeared to me" to be more difficult to install and uninstall due mostly to the "under the tractor" drivetrain.

A rear mount snowblower may or may not be for you.
Many folks like their front mount snowblowers.
You're smart to start looking early and gather all the info you can.
Good luck.

/ Winter is coming snowblower question #9  

Or

I have used a BX23 with Kubota's front-mount snowblower for four years on approximately 1,200 feet of 7-degree slope driveway and a 2,000 square-foot parking area. I use it without weights and although I have chains for all four wheels, I'd say only the fronts are necessary for steering.

The blower will handle anything from cold-smoke fluff to California Concrete. It has even been successful with soupy slush as long as you keep the RPMs up to reduce chute clogging. The augar housing has a reversible edge on the bottom edge that, with downforce, can cut through ice to clear down to bare pavement.

I'd say that with the front blower there is no need for a blade, bucket, or weight.

With a blower you can clear edge-to-edge every time with no roadside buildup.

I upgraded to a larger TLB with cab this summer, and got a Kubota front blower for it. I can hardly wait for snow!

/ Winter is coming snowblower question #10  
To me I think the answer is simple, you have the quick hitch for the front blower, that's a large chunk of the price that keeps most from going with a front blower, so get the front blower. I don't know about the BX quick hitch but the GL series quick hitch is super simple to install and remove the blower. But I'm thinking you'll never need to use anything but the blower.