Kubota Engines: EGR, Non-EGR, DPF, etc.

/ Kubota Engines: EGR, Non-EGR, DPF, etc. #1  

rjkobbeman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540HD-12 2010
In preparation for my 50 hour service, I noticed in my service manual there are different engine oil API specs for EGR, Non-EGR, Internal EGR, External EGR, DPF engines. The verbiage of the manual some oils are good for one category of EGR but not good for the other category. (Sorry for being a little vague, I don't have my manual handy.)

My question is, how do I figure out what kind of engine I have? I figured this would be explained in the manual, but it isn't.

It looks like the CI-4 API spec is good for all... so this is kind of moot, but I just want to know.

Does Kubota have EGR valves or not? Internal or external? DPF? Does turbo change things?

I would rather this not turn into a "what kind of oil to use" thread. I just curious about the EGR. The manual says it matters... but give no insight on whether my engine has one or not! Seems crazy to me.

/ Kubota Engines: EGR, Non-EGR, DPF, etc. #2  
But the weight/viscosity is the same for all, right? Without seeing your manual, I'm guessing that the different service categories are probably older ones. The manuals are notorious for not keeping up-to-date with the latest API categories/oil that you'll actually find on the shelves.

Basically any of the major Diesel oil brands that you're going to buy today are going to be at least CI-4 PLUS if not CJ-4, which is appropriate for the ULSD that you'll most likely be putting in the tank.

So I wouldn't give it much more concern than you already have. :thumbsup:

/ Kubota Engines: EGR, Non-EGR, DPF, etc.
This really was just a curiosity issue. The CI-4 API spec seems to cover it all, but the mere subject in the manual got me wondering about the EGR and/or DPF issue specifically.

This really has less to do with "what kind of oil do I use", but rather a "how do I know what kind of EGR and/or DPF do I have -- if I even have one" issue since the owner's manual specifically discussess the issue.

My guess as to the DPF - no. That would probably be for a California build. An EGR system - good chance. As to the type, no idea. You'd have to look at the engine and/or certification label for those answers.

Never thought about looking at the engine label.

Thanks.

/ Kubota Engines: EGR, Non-EGR, DPF, etc. #5  
If you have a DPF then you must run ULSD and you need to use a CJ-4 rated oil, which is backwards compatible with previous oils. If you don't have a DPF then you can run CI-4 Plus but good luck finding it, at least around here all I can find is CJ-4. The Kubota dealer might still have CI-4 Plus.

/ Kubota Engines: EGR, Non-EGR, DPF, etc. #6  
My guess as to the DPF - no. That would probably be for a California build
My first thought was "DPF?? Really?" Surprised, but if it's in the manual, there must be some out there somewhere... Forgot all about the environazis on the West Coast. :D

If you have a DPF then you must run ULSD and you need to use a CJ-4 rated oil, which is backwards compatible with previous oils. If you don't have a DPF then you can run CI-4 Plus but good luck finding it, at least around here all I can find is CJ-4. The Kubota dealer might still have CI-4 Plus.
Good luck finding LSD (non-ULSD, not the hallucinogenic).
CJ-4 supercedes and encompasses CI-4 PLUS, so given the fuel options there's not much reason to expend effort hunting for the latter.

My first thought was "DPF?? Really?" Surprised, but if it's in the manual, there must be some out there somewhere... Forgot all about the environazis on the West Coast. :D

Good luck finding LSD (non-ULSD, not the hallucinogenic).
CJ-4 supercedes and encompasses CI-4 PLUS, so given the fuel options there's not much reason to expend effort hunting for the latter.

Kind of funny that Kubota's website specifically states to NOT use CJ-4. See here: Kubota Tractor USA - Lubricants Schedule

Out of date and/or bad information posted by Kubota? Maybe, but you can understand my confusion...

I don't even think my owner's manual references CJ-4 -- probably because it is so out of date. This is even more frustrating because it is for a 2010 tractor!

/ Kubota Engines: EGR, Non-EGR, DPF, etc. #8  
Kind of funny that Kubota's website specifically states to NOT use CJ-4. See here: Kubota Tractor USA - Lubricants Schedule

Out of date and/or bad information posted by Kubota? Maybe, but you can understand my confusion...

I don't even think my owner's manual references CJ-4 -- probably because it is so out of date. This is even more frustrating because it is for a 2010 tractor!
Besides not being model-specific, others have pointed out flaws with that generic table. To say to not use CJ-4 with ULSD runs somewhat contrary to the API.

Since CI-4 is OK, and virtually any bottle that says CJ-4 is also going to say CI-4/CI-4 PLUS, what then? :D

I just don't have a lot of faith in this chart, nor in the manuals which tend to be outdated. I certainly understand your confusion. :eek:

For reference:
http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/pubs/upload/EngineOilGuide_March2010.pdf

Besides not being model-specific, others have pointed out flaws with that generic table. To say to not use CJ-4 with ULSD runs somewhat contrary to the API.

Since CI-4 is OK, and virtually any bottle that says CJ-4 is also going to say CI-4/CI-4 PLUS, what then? :D

I just don't have a lot of faith in this chart, nor in the manuals which tend to be outdated. I certainly understand your confusion. :eek:

For reference:
http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/pubs/upload/EngineOilGuide_March2010.pdf

Putting it all together, it sounds like Kubota went through a transition to make their engines ULSD friendly. Before they were ULSD friendly, it sounds like the CJ-4 (ULSD friendly oil) wasn't what Kubota liked. Now that Kubota's engines are ULSD friendly, the CJ-4 probably is too.

/ Kubota Engines: EGR, Non-EGR, DPF, etc. #10  
M8540 does not have an EGR (none of the M40 series do at this point). They are on some of the bigger M series (M126X and M136X just to name 2).