Kubota Dual Speed PTO -- M Series

/ Kubota Dual Speed PTO -- M Series #1  

rjkobbeman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540HD-12 2010
I ask this out of curiosity, as I have no intention or need to get a 1000 RPM PTO.

When buying my tractor, I had the option of buying the "Dual Speed PTO" for $1,100. Since I had no need for 1000 RPM PTO, I skipped that option and thought nothing of it.

After I took delivery of my tractor and started reading my manual, I see a section that explains how to swap a 540 RPM PTO shaft with the 1000 RPM PTO shaft. That got me thinking:

What exactly came with the Dual Speed PTO option? Does it have two shafts sticking out the back or does it have some method of switching speeds, yet requires the swap of shafts?

Does the swapping of shafts -- per the manual -- imply the actual PTO RPM will change as well?

Surely the $1,100 is not just for a different shaft. Surely, merely swapping shafts does not change the PTO speed. Or does it?

/ Kubota Dual Speed PTO -- M Series #2  
   / Kubota Dual Speed PTO -- M Series #3  
The shafts do change the speeds between 540 and 1,000 rpm when they fit into the reciever. The current retail on the unit is 1,122.00 there is also shop time to install!

/ Kubota Dual Speed PTO -- M Series
The shafts do change the speeds between 540 and 1,000 rpm when they fit into the reciever. The current retail on the unit is 1,122.00 there is also shop time to install!

In my owner's manual, it shows a very simple procedure to swap from one shaft to the other (or at least is seems simple). Is the manual assuming there is already a dual speed pto installed? Or is the "other shaft" the dual speed itself?

I guess my question is, I did not buy the "Dual Speed PTO" kit for $1,122. Is the "Dual Speed PTO" simply another shaft, or is there extra gears that get installed AND you still need to swap shafts.

-OR-

Is the "Dual Speed PTO" a new box with two shafts sticking out, running simultaneously.

Sorry for being so thick headed on this one...

I guess I need to go back and re-read my manual. Maybe it has some verbiage on the swapping of shafts... like "for Dual Speet PTOs", implying the dual speed option was already bought/installed. This would mean I cannot simply swap to a 1000 RPM shaft if I did not buy the dual speed kit?

/ Kubota Dual Speed PTO -- M Series #5  
There are extra parts installed to make it so you can remove one shaft, that fits into one group of splines which will turn it at 540 and if you remove that shaft, you can insert the 1000 prm shaft and it woll turn at 1,000 rpm.

You do not have the ability to just remove the 540 shaft that you have now and make it a 1,000 by changing the shaft as with the kit installed.

Years ago the IH tractors had two shafts sticking out but they do not use that design anymore and to the best of my knowledge they were the only ones that did.

All manufacturers we deal with currently you would have to have the right option to begin with to remove one shaft and install another for a different speed on the PTO.

/ Kubota Dual Speed PTO -- M Series
There are extra parts installed to make it so you can remove one shaft, that fits into one group of splines which will turn it at 540 and if you remove that shaft, you can insert the 1000 prm shaft and it woll turn at 1,000 rpm.

You do not have the ability to just remove the 540 shaft that you have now and make it a 1,000 by changing the shaft as with the kit installed.

Years ago the IH tractors had two shafts sticking out but they do not use that design anymore and to the best of my knowledge they were the only ones that did.

All manufacturers we deal with currently you would have to have the right option to begin with to remove one shaft and install another for a different speed on the PTO.

Gotcha. Thanks for the insight.