Hydraulic system issue?

/ Hydraulic system issue? #1  

GLLinMO

When I was driving my L3400 HST back to the barn a couple of weeks ago, it the power steering was starting to work intermitently. When doing the final parking, it seemed the hydro for both the loader and the 3 points was chattering. To me, I had noticed some seepage by the loader hydro block, so I suspected the fluid was low. I did not see any fluid in the window. I went and got some Kubota hydro fluid and added a gallon (looking at the level window periodically for the level). Nothing in the window. I then added another gallon, doing the same. Still nothing in the window. I decided to fire it up. After a few minutes of warm up, the steering, loader and 3 pt were still hesitant / chattering. Transmission to move forward seemed to work fine. I shut it off, and right above my right foot, a bunch of fluid spewed out. Seemed like hydro. wonder if I had overfilled it. tried it again. Still no goon the steering and the loader/ 3 pt. When I shut it off, more fluid burped out.

And idea as to what is wrong here? Still under warranty - I can give my dealer a call tomorrow if anyone is in, or else on Monday.

thanks much for any thoughts, Gary

/ Hydraulic system issue? #2  
Hydraulic whoopsie;

When I was driving my L3400 HST back to the barn a couple of weeks ago, it the power steering was starting to work intermitently. When doing the final parking, it seemed the hydro for both the loader and the 3 points was chattering. To me, I had noticed some seepage by the loader hydro block, so I suspected the fluid was low. I did not see any fluid in the window. I went and got some Kubota hydro fluid and added a gallon (looking at the level window periodically for the level). Nothing in the window. I then added another gallon, doing the same. Still nothing in the window. I decided to fire it up. After a few minutes of warm up, the steering, loader and 3 pt were still hesitant / chattering. Transmission to move forward seemed to work fine. I shut it off, and right above my right foot, a bunch of fluid spewed out. Seemed like hydro. wonder if I had overfilled it. tried it again. Still no go on the steering and the loader/ 3 pt. When I shut it off, more fluid burped out.

And idea as to what is wrong here? Still under warranty - I can give my dealer a call tomorrow if anyone is in, or else on Monday.

thanks much for any thoughts, Gary

You have a continous leak in the hydraulic system and it is sucking air; it could be a bad sealing o-ring in the main pump or valve body(s) or pinched hose/pin hole leak or a spool o-ring-any number animals/issues.

/ Hydraulic system issue? #3  
You may have it overfilled at this point, if you haven't noticed any leaks in the past. 2 gallons is a lot of fluid. The sight glass is deceptive, if you can't see a level, it could be too high as opposed to too low.

The 2800/3400 is notorious for the hydraulic suction line cracking and allowing air in the system. It's located near the right floorboard. A metal pipe comes up, then a rubber flex hose completes the rest of the circuit to the pump. The hose usually cracks on the inside of one of the bends.

Sean

/ Hydraulic system issue?
Sean nailed it. The back side of the hose has a hole split into it about the size of a finger nail. Not too inspiring for a 2 yr old tractor. I think it's still under warranty. But probably easier for me to fix myself than hauling it to the dealer.

Thanks to all (Sean and leonz) for the input. My farm worker days are decades behind me - been awhile since I have done more more than change the oil on a tractor.

Gary

/ Hydraulic system issue? #5  
Glad to hear you found the problem. I wouldn't have known there was a history of problems with the hose if it hadn't been for posts about it on TBN.

You may want to get 2 hoses while you're at the dealer, I don't think they've improved the hose, just replaced them. If you're willing to replace it yourself, they may throw an extra in for your trouble.

Sean

/ Hydraulic system issue?
Neither of the local dealer locations stock this part. But the larger locations will start doing so. They have sold 4 of these so far this year. There were quite interested in what had actually happened. We'll see.

Thanks again all.

/ Hydraulic system issue? #7  
It sounds like they are using a muffler pipe bender for the steel lines instead of the proper small hydraulic steel line bender that requires it to be filled with sand prior to bending (explains the leak).

/ Hydraulic system issue? #8  
It sounds like they are using a muffler pipe bender for the steel lines instead of the proper small hydraulic steel line bender that requires it to be filled with sand prior to bending (explains the leak).

Why do you think they would be using a pipe bender to make a rubber hose?

/ Hydraulic system issue? #9  
I thought it was the steel pipe that had breaking crease- If they use a single wire braid suction line and bend it to far it will crease and create a leak easily if the hose does not have the proper sweep angle which eliminates the stresses on the hose.

Like I said they build the ZTR, CUT, SCUT, row crop tractor or mining machinery around the components and the end user is always the one on the losing end.