What size rotary cutter?

/ What size rotary cutter? #1  

BigSteve63

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B-2920
I have a new B2920 with the 60" MMM. I can get a good deal on a 5 foot rotary cutter (brush hog), but did not know if the tractor could handle it. The cutter is category 1, so it will mount right up. My dealer advertises the B2920 with a 4 foot rotary in their package, so not sure what to do.:confused:

/ What size rotary cutter? #2  
I have a new B2920 with the 60" MMM. I can get a good deal on a 5 foot rotary cutter (brush hog), but did not know if the tractor could handle it. The cutter is category 1, so it will mount right up. My dealer advertises the B2920 with a 4 foot rotary in their package, so not sure what to do.:confused:

In grass you should be fine ... in bigger stuff just shift down.

/ What size rotary cutter? #3  
We;;,looks like you should get a 4 ft,,cause your dealer recommends it:D

/ What size rotary cutter? #4  
If it's a really good deal take it, but be aware that it might drive the tractor under certain conditions. I have a 60inch on my L3700 and it is as big a cutter I would want to be pulling. The optimum size for your tractor would be a 48", IMO.

/ What size rotary cutter?
Will be mostly grass/weeds, with the occasional small growth woody stuff (less than an inch diameter). So just put 'er in low & let 'er go?

/ What size rotary cutter? #6  
If it's a really good deal take it, but be aware that it might drive the tractor under certain conditions. I have a 60inch on my L3700 and it is as big a cutter I would want to be pulling. The optimum size for your tractor would be a 48", IMO.

Fred's got a good point, the deciding factor may not be the power required to drive the hog, a general number for that is 5 PTO hp per foot of cutter. I'd be more concerned about how much weight is bouncing around back on the 3 ph over rough ground.

I've got a Land Pride 1860 (60 inch) rotary cutter for my L3400, which weighs about 700 lbs, give or take a few. I wouldn't want any more weight hanging off the lift arms when I'm going over ruts, etc.

Sean

/ What size rotary cutter? #7  

I have a B7800 which is almost identical in size to your B2920. I mow with a Land Pride RCR1860 rotary cutter that weighs 700#.

/ What size rotary cutter? #8  
Watch out on the hills, going up light front end, coming down getting pushed. cutting fields should be fine. I have a L3700 and run a 4 Ft and cant even tell it is there, but when I had my 7610 hills would make me nervous without the front end loader for weight

/ What size rotary cutter? #9  
Watch out on the hills, going up light front end, coming down getting pushed. cutting fields should be fine. I have a L3700 and run a 4 Ft and cant even tell it is there, but when I had my 7610 hills would make me nervous without the front end loader for weight

Code54 makes a good point. The B2920 will be maxed out with a 60". Extra care has to be taken on hills and steep dips in the ground.

/ What size rotary cutter?
BTW-deal is for a King Kutter 60" with 40hp gear box - $150. Looks to be used very little, all labels/markings clearly legible, not scraped off, etc. Is this a good deal for the cutter? One of the area farm and home stores has the same thing new for $759.