Broken Kubota Backhoe

/ Broken Kubota Backhoe #1  

Sootgrinder

Hello all,
I wanted to share my disapointment with Kubota and possibly come up with some help from my fellow TBNers to get Kubota to step up and do the right thing. My best friends Kubots backhoe model BH 76 cracked nearly the whole length of the main boom. The tractor and backhoe are 13 months old the tractor has 70 hours on it and the hoe has maybe 15 hours digging time max., all residential /farm use no for hire work or anything. The boom is cracked right along the weld nearly the whole length (probably 36 inches or so). The machine has not been abused at all, I have been present when 75 % of the digging was done with the machine. Kubota has denied the warranty claim because it is one month past the 12 month warranty period. This is wrong, there is no way that you could have broken a properly welded boom in this manner even if you were trying to. I am extremely diasapointed with Kubota. I have the exact same hoe on my tractor, so I am also concerned that mine could be faulty also. If Kubota doesn't make this right then there is no way they will ever get another dime of my money and I will make sure that I tell everyone I know what kind of products and customer service Kubota really has. Anyone have any phone numbers for higher ranking customer service reps that we can get a hold of?

Soot

/ Broken Kubota Backhoe #2  
Please post pics of damage.
A lot of folks would be interested in that.
Even better if you have the pic of "hay bail" that broke it.

bxn

/ Broken Kubota Backhoe #3  
:laughing: That was a good one!!:laughing:
Even better if you have the pic of "hay bail" that broke it.

bxn[/quote]

/ Broken Kubota Backhoe #4  
Hello all,....Kubota has denied the warranty claim because it is one month past the 12 month warranty period.....
Yes, need photos :thumbsup: Want to see it the best we can...

/ Broken Kubota Backhoe #5  
Sootgrinder,

This is very unusual to have a main boom weld break - the interesting aspect is the B21-B26 and BX series TLB style BH have a 2 year warranty, where the BH76/90 series have 12 months along with the "other" implements. I think this is more about covering all "implements" under a blanket 12 months rather than BH for 24 months, they lump all the attachments together to minimize claims/issues.

I suspect you have a bad weld joint - Kubota has them made here under contract I beleive so you should go back to the dealer then talk to the regional rep for something like this. Other than that if the unit isnt twisted or warped then maybe the best solution is to grind out the weld, re weld and paint.

I agree this should not happen but as a matter of principle they should IMO address this issue as long as it hasnt been abused.

/ Broken Kubota Backhoe #6  
I suspect you have a bad weld joint - Kubota has them made here under contract I beleive so you should go back to the dealer then talk to the regional rep for something like this. Other than that if the unit isnt twisted or warped then maybe the best solution is to grind out the weld, re weld and paint.

They are built by Kubota, not under contract.

/ Broken Kubota Backhoe #8  
Something doesn't sound right. If the BH76 split doing normal work, it must have been a faulty weld.

FWIW My Kubota BH90* has taken quite a bit of strain in the last 3 years (600 hrs total with probably 10-20% BH work). I live in limestone country so my back hoe work always entails ledges, large rocks, etc. As I reported in another thread, I just finish digging 300+' of 14" wide by 40" deep trench in alluvial fill. In the process I snagged a dozen or so very large rocks embedded in the fill. These rocks were large/tight enough to completely stop the BH, pulling the rear down and spreading the stabilizers. IOW they put a great deal of strain on the BH boom, stabilizer and frame. The BH90 took this in stride.

Talon Dancer

* I know the BH90 is not the same as a BH76. But IIRC it is the same basic design and construction.

/ Broken Kubota Backhoe
I don't get the part about the hay bale??? I will get some pics the next time I over at his house. I know that the weld is defective, that is my point. We have rocky soil here also but this machine hasn't been used to hammer through limestone or anything, the boom hasn't been twisted, it hasn't been rolled over or crashed into the barn or anything. The dealer acted astounded that it was broke and he said at first that there would be no problem getting the boom replaced. But after a few days they said that Kubota denied the claim and that my buddy would have to pay $1000 for a new boom. The dealer offered to install it at no charge. There is no way I would give them a dollar for the replacement boom and if Kubota doesn't step up then I will weld the boom up myself. I just want you guys to know what kind of company and what kind of quality we have all jumped into bed with, and it just sickens me.

Soot

/ Broken Kubota Backhoe #10  
I would certainly not take No for an answer if all is as stated above...... First, Document and photography everything. Once that is done I would start with the district reps and work up from there. Written letters usually work better than just phone calls. If you do make calls document them as well.

I have known several people with field rep and warranty claim jobs and all say one must push their case especially if you are not a huge customer.

Good luck....