Oil & Fuel Oil darkening after 25 hours?

/ Oil darkening after 25 hours? #1  

MoreCowbell

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2350
I was checking the motor oil on my BX2350 today and noticed that the oil, while not comletely black, is still rather dark. Definitely not the clear appearance that new motor oil has. The tractor only has 25 hours on it. Is this normal for being half-way through the oil's service life? Maybe I'm thinking to much in terms of a gas engine where the oil is still clean looking half-way though an oil change cycle. Thanks.

/ Oil darkening after 25 hours? #2  
I'm surprised it's not completely black...diesel does that to oil. What you are seeing is normal.

/ Oil darkening after 25 hours? #3  
Your still in the break in phase. Dont worry to much remember its a desiel and will b a little darker as you use it

/ Oil darkening after 25 hours? #4  
what both of these folk said ^^^^^^^

/ Oil darkening after 25 hours? #5  
It will be as black as tar by the time you're ready for an oil change. Combination of soot and detergents in the oil. Looking dirty and being dirty are not necessarily the same thing.
All perfectly normal. Not to worry.
Welcome to Diesel ownership. ;)

/ Oil darkening after 25 hours?
Thanks everyone. I guess I'm in good shape. As DiezNutz said, "Welcome to diesel ownership.":) Thanks.

/ Oil darkening after 25 hours? #7  
Thanks everyone. I guess I'm in good shape. As DiezNutz said, "Welcome to diesel ownership.":) Thanks.

If you get the oil on your hands, you'll notice that it is harder to remove compared to a gas engine...As you said..Welcome to diesels:D

/ Oil darkening after 25 hours? #8  
Oh yes I went running to a mechanic friend with the same question a few years back. I just changed the oil and within the first 10 or so hours the oil was very dark. He calmed me down by saying the same thing.

/ Oil darkening after 25 hours? #9  
A good diesel oil keep the soot suspended in the oil rather than letting it settle out. Your oil is doing its job:D

/ Oil darkening after 25 hours? #10  
If you get the oil on your hands, you'll notice that it is harder to remove compared to a gas engine...As you said..Welcome to diesels:D
True, but have you ever rebuilt a Diesel engine? The first time I did, I was amazed at how easily everything cleaned up. Pistons, valves, head, etc... all that black stuff practically wipes clean! As opposed to every gas engine I've ever rebuilt, where all the crud is baked on and you almost need a jackhammer to chip it off. :laughing:

Just another reason I love these little rattle traps. :)