Connected Battery Jumper Cables Wrong

/ Connected Battery Jumper Cables Wrong #31  
   / Connected Battery Jumper Cables Wrong #32  
   / Connected Battery Jumper Cables Wrong #33  
I doubt my wife would know how to pop the hood. Even if she did she probably wouldn't know where the battery is. I think that's why she married me, to maintain her car.
Mine could manage it if she has to, but would prefer that I do it. I put them in because if she has them, hopefully someone will know how to use them...

Aaron Z

/ Connected Battery Jumper Cables Wrong #34  
Mine could manage it if she has to, but would prefer that I do it. I put them in because if she has them, hopefully someone will know how to use them...

Aaron Z

I have AAA and told my wife to call them since I can't always be there to help for flat tires or a jump start.

/ Connected Battery Jumper Cables Wrong #35  
After briefly reversing leads on a friend's truck many years ago, I got into the habit of not clamping the last connection right away.

On the last connection, I'll leave the jaws closed, and lightly tap the outside of the jaw connection on the post of the dead battery. If sparks seems excessive, I'll re-check all my connections again, before clamping the final connection on. I've never actually reversed jumpers again, but I still keep that ritual up.

Batteries can be dangerous. I often have safety glasses in my vehicles. Thanks for starting this up OP, it's a good reminder to slap on some protection.

Rgds, D.

/ Connected Battery Jumper Cables Wrong #36  
Reminds me of Foxworthy's line.....

IF you have jumper cables in your car, AND your wife knows how to use them.... You Just Might Be Canadian !

Rgds, D.

/ Connected Battery Jumper Cables Wrong #37  
You were lucky. I fellow I worked with hooked them up backwards and the battery blew up. He lost an eye in the process.

/ Connected Battery Jumper Cables Wrong #38  
......... i started having issues starting the tractor. (when i go to start the tractor it either gives me a nice start with no problems or it just gives a soft one click as if the battery dead. then i started noticing sparks going on around the starter and now i can't get it to start.
any thoughts ???

On many models Kub uses a fusible link near the starter - a short loop of heavy red wire with a white connector. It's main purpose is to protect the instrument panel from just that kind of reversed connection of jumpers. Yours is likely partially or fully burned out. A new one is under $10 - need to know the tractor model to order the correct one. Meanwhile you can use a piece of house wire temporarily. (you didn't hear that from me) Take care, Dick B

p.s. have a look at this thread

/ Connected Battery Jumper Cables Wrong #39  
After briefly reversing leads on a friend's truck many years ago, I got into the habit of not clamping the last connection right away.

On the last connection, I'll leave the jaws closed, and lightly tap the outside of the jaw connection on the post of the dead battery. If sparks seems excessive, I'll re-check all my connections again, before clamping the final connection on. I've never actually reversed jumpers again, but I still keep that ritual up.

Batteries can be dangerous. I often have safety glasses in my vehicles. Thanks for starting this up OP, it's a good reminder to slap on some protection.

Rgds, D.
I cringed when I read your post. The last connection is never on the battery, it's always on grounded bare metal away from the battery.

You are lucky to not have one explode like this one in the old part of the thread.

--------------------------------

And since I see at least one flawed set of jumper connections posted, it wouldn't hurt to review the proper technique:

1) + clamps to + terminals of both batteries (keep - clamps from touching anything)
2) - clamp to - terminal of good battery.
3) - clamp to solid bare metal of engine or transmission of car with dead battery (e.g., engine block, motor mount bracket). This last connection is when the spark happens, and you don't want that near the dead battery, which could ignite hydrogen gas venting from the dead battery, causing it to explode in your face. Like this one:

Car-Battery.jpg

Remove connections in the exact reverse order. :thumbsup:

/ Connected Battery Jumper Cables Wrong #40  
I understand your point Xfax, about preferred connection.

What I'm describing as a technique works equally well when your final connection is to a motor mount. Even at -40, if you solidly clamp your final connection to a motor mount with a reversed lead, you have created a huge explosion risk.

Rgds, D.