stripped banjo bolt threads

/ stripped banjo bolt threads #1  

grossgary

Silver Member
Tractor
1994 Kubota B7100 HST 4WD
i stripped the bolt threads on a B7100 that you loosen to bleed air from the fuel filter case. the theads are stripped

i have no problems repairing threads, chasing threads, heli-coil, drilling, tapping, etc.

my question is which repair to consider?

on cars often times you can just get a longer bolt and it will reach deeper/unused threads. can you do that on this....and if so - are all M6x1.00 banjo bolts the same?

if i do repair the threads - will the thread insert repair be "in the way" of the fluid flow or something? in other words can the hole in the "top" of the banjo bolt be restricted in some way by the insert - or is that hole strictly for bleeding purposes?

i'm thinking the hole is strictly for bleeding so it doesn't matter but just want to make sure.

/ stripped banjo bolt threads #2  
I don't know about the thread repair. However a while back I priced a complete filter from Messicks. I believe it was less than $40.00.

/ stripped banjo bolt threads
I don't know about the thread repair. However a while back I priced a complete filter from Messicks. I believe it was less than $40.00.
excellent, that's the way to go.

parts manual is a little obscure - not sure which part has the top part that I need as an assembly. I think it's:

15261-43110 BODY, PETCOCK CO $35.95

And not this one:
15372-43010 Filter, Fuel *** $38.83

/ stripped banjo bolt threads #4  
Is it possible to step up the thread one size? I am a cheapskate, hate to spend money.

/ stripped banjo bolt threads #5  
i stripped the bolt threads on a B7100 that you loosen to bleed air from the fuel filter case. the theads are stripped

i have no problems repairing threads, chasing threads, heli-coil, drilling, tapping, etc.

my question is which repair to consider?

on cars often times you can just get a longer bolt and it will reach deeper/unused threads. can you do that on this....and if so - are all M6x1.00 banjo bolts the same?

If I do repair the threads - will the thread insert repair be "in the way" of the fluid flow or something? in other words can the hole in the "top" of the banjo bolt be restricted in some way by the insert - or is that hole strictly for bleeding purposes?

yes it would block it entirely

i'm thinking the hole is strictly for bleeding so it doesn't matter but just want to make sure.

It does matter, and it will not work or seal properly as the copper gasker which is rolled around a bit of news print if done as the duetz copper gaskets are made as it is your line of defense to seal the fuel system.

if you did not replace the copper gasket that is most likely why you stripped the threads as they must be changed at every filter interval as they wil suck air if the seal is broken as they are crushed when the bleeder is tightened-which what all the copper gaskets are designed to to for fuel systems to seal them with steel against copper.

(If you wished to make it simpler to aviod this issue of changing filters you could purchase a Racor diesel fuel filter assembly with a thermosta controlled heater in the bowl and eliminate the need to open the kubota canister by using their 2-5 micron filter and centrifuge with drain valve which removes all water and dirt and you could solve a lot of fuel issues-gelling, wax, water, etc.

No, its something that cannot repaired, it has to be replaced as it is part of the sealing system to exclude air from entering from the suction pressure gradient created by the injection pump.

Replacing the lid may be as expensive as the entire filter unit so you have to decide.

/ stripped banjo bolt threads
The bolt threads? Just go buy a new bolt.
no, that would be easy, the threads that receive the bolt.

i repaired it last night with a thread repair kit. was really simple, auto parts store had the M6x1.00 size i needed, back in business.

that banjo bolt is just for bleeding.

there is no copper on this one, i guess B7100's are different, it appears they have an oring. i respect that you like to replace them, makes perfect sense, but copper crush washers are reused all the time without issue.

thanks for all the feedback