Starting problem...

/ Starting problem... #1  

dogdoc

Tractor
Kubota L3400
New Member. I was referred here by a member on the QDMA website for a problem I am having with my Kubota.

I have a 2005 L3400. The tractor has performed flawlessly since owning (except with I put some diesel with water in it a couple years ago).

Here's the problem:

The tractor had not been started for about one month. Went to start the tractor and it just kept turning over but would not act like it was going to start but when I let off the key it started. It keeps doing this---sounds like it won't start (still turns over great) but like i said when you let off the key you wouldn't think the tractor has started but when let off the key the tractor starts??

Once it is running it runs strong and great. Still does this when you start the motor after it has warmed up. I can turn the key for 2 seconds or 10 seconds---doesn't matter it still does it.

any thoughts?

thanks
todd

/ Starting problem...
What's the problem?

the engine never actually starts when turning the key. It just keep turning over so you would never think the tractor has started but when you let go of the key it starts. I don't know how else to expain it.

/ Starting problem... #4  
New Member. I was referred here by a member on the QDMA website for a problem I am having with my Kubota.

I have a 2005 L3400. The tractor has performed flawlessly since owning (except with I put some diesel with water in it a couple years ago).

Here's the problem:

The tractor had not been started for about one month. Went to start the tractor and it just kept turning over but would not act like it was going to start but when I let off the key it started. It keeps doing this---sounds like it won't start (still turns over great) but like i said when you let off the key you wouldn't think the tractor has started but when let off the key the tractor starts??

Once it is running it runs strong and great. Still does this when you start the motor after it has warmed up. I can turn the key for 2 seconds or 10 seconds---doesn't matter it still does it.

any thoughts?

thanks
todd

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem in the "start" position.

/ Starting problem... #5  
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem in the "start" position.

I agree. Ultimately that is probably an electrical issue. I am going to take a wild guess that there is an electrical solenoid that controls fuel delivery to the injection pump.
Either that solenoid has gotten weak so that when the tractor is being cranked there is not enough current to the solenoid to hold it open or the ignition switch has gotten dirty in the start/crank position of the key.

Find those wires for the fuel solenoid and see what the voltage is while cranking. If there is none then the ignition switch is likely defective. If it drops a lot then either the battery has low capacity and needs replaced or the solenoid cant hold open at the low crank voltage.

/ Starting problem... #6  
I'm not much of a disel man yet but with a gas engine, that's a sign of a loose wire on the switch that provides voltage to the ignition coil. I assume in disel land it is voltage to the glow plugs, or maybe the injectors/fuelpump as rjkobbeman sugested. You are getting voltage in the on position but lacking voltage in the start position.

/ Starting problem... #7  
I agree. Ultimately that is probably an electrical issue. I am going to take a wild guess that there is an electrical solenoid that controls fuel delivery to the injection pump.
Either that solenoid has gotten weak so that when the tractor is being cranked there is not enough current to the solenoid to hold it open or the ignition switch has gotten dirty in the start/crank position of the key.

Find those wires for the fuel solenoid and see what the voltage is while cranking. If there is none then the ignition switch is likely defective. If it drops a lot then either the battery has low capacity and needs replaced or the solenoid cant hold open at the low crank voltage.

Yeah that too!

/ Starting problem... #8  

Being mechanically inclined, work on all my stuff and having a background in wrenching, I thought I could provide some insight.

-- however --

Being a newbee to diesels, I conveniently left out all the details! :D (Mainly because I didn't know the details!)

Thanks for the help.

/ Starting problem...
I appreciate all the info. I don't know if this makes any difference but my fuel gauge quit working at the same time. I wonder if that has to do with the ignition switch also??

/ Starting problem... #10  
I'd check your battery and the connections. It sounds like the voltage during cranking may be too low to pull the fuel solenoid but when you release the starter the solenoid pulls in and since the engine is still moving it starts.