Oil & Fuel Fuelling Up

/ Fuelling Up #1  

Larry Caldwell

Tractor
Kubota l3130
So, how do you guys handle your fuel? I don't use that much, so I just have four 5 gallon plastic cans. I use diesel Sta-Bil in each can, since I never know when the weather will shut me down until spring. That way the tractor tank and storage cans are all stabilized.

When I re-fuel, I don't use the spout on the can. Instead, I use a galvanized funnel with a fine mesh screen in the spout. It's interesting how much crud gets caught in the screen, even though I am careful to keep the cans tightly sealed and clean on the outside.

On my parents' farm, we use a truck mounted tank that pumps the fuel through a filter. At that, we have had to periodically clean the whole fuel system to keep the tractor running right.

At both locations we re-fuel at shutdown to minimize condensation in the tractor tank. It's part of the daily shutdown service routine.

/ Fuelling Up #2  
Since I live only 3/4 mile from the nearest truck stop:D , I just drive the tractor there and fill up with diesel right from the pump. Sure beats lifting 6 gal. fuel containers up to the fuel fill on the tractor.

Curt

/ Fuelling Up #3  
We use the plastic containers for the L5030 and BX2660, but we are getting a tank for the M8540, MF375 and JD2305.

/ Fuelling Up #4  
5-gallon cans. I don't like keeping too much diesel fuel in the barn. Hoisting them up in the air is a pain, but that which does not kill me makes me stronger. :laughing:

/ Fuelling Up #5  
diesel fuel etc.

So, how do you guys handle your fuel? I don't use that much, so I just have four 5 gallon plastic cans. I use diesel Sta-Bil in each can, since I never know when the weather will shut me down until spring. That way the tractor tank and storage cans are all stabilized.

When I re-fuel, I don't use the spout on the can. Instead, I use a galvanized funnel with a fine mesh screen in the spout. It's interesting how much crud gets caught in the screen, even though I am careful to keep the cans tightly sealed and clean on the outside.

On my parents' farm, we use a truck mounted tank that pumps the fuel through a filter. At that, we have had to periodically clean the whole fuel system to keep the tractor running right.

The cartidge may be bypassingor have ahole in it

switch to a paired 5 micron filtration cartridge unit and you will have fewer problems with your prime mover.

Saying that installing a Racor model 1100 fuel filter with a thermostaticly controlled fuel heater will remove everything to either 20 micron or 5 micron a little fuzzy remenbering the spec

The Racor passive design relies on the prime movers injection pump and creates a centrifugal flow with director vanes which spins the fuel and the sediment and water collect at the bottom and it has a manual drain to dump it all.

You would not believe how much junk and water collects in tanks whether they are on the prime mover or mobile or stationary storage- weld spatter and chippings from the core wire after cooldown and usually they dont clean them very well either.

At both locations we re-fuel at shutdown to minimize condensation in the tractor tank. It's part of the daily shutdown service routine.

Not an issue with diesels-gasoline engines yes but not diesels especially if they are indirect injection.

Your counting on the heat value of the fuel with a gas engine and cold goes to heat with gas engines which creates condensation on the inside walls of the gasoline tank after they are shut down and not refueled with fresh petrol.

They make a bulk fuel filter too- I will find what I have and post it here.

The bulk diesel fuel filter separator moves along at 35 gallons per minute

my thoughts anyway

Attachments

• racor diesel filter example.jpg
    racor diesel filter example.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 134
  • racor bulk filter units.gif
    racor bulk filter units.gif
    28.1 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
   / Fuelling Up #6  
Owning a BX and only putting 50-70 hours a year on it, fueling is an infrequent thing. For those here who own similar machines and have similar use, we store our fuel at the Fuel Mart near us.:D Our fuel stays fresh and seasonally correct.

A simple 2.5 gallon plastic can. $10 to fill. It's heavy enough from which to pour.

Whole different world for guys with high fuel use.

/ Fuelling Up #7  
I go through about 40 gallons of fuel a month..Bring it home in 5 gallon cans. PENNDOT uses the station that I frequent so I know that the fuel is fresh, there are delivery trucks there all the time...My biggest concern.

/ Fuelling Up #8  
Instead, I use a galvanized funnel with a fine mesh screen in the spout.

Just a FYI and I doubt if it will cause a problem with such short term usage but Galvanize doesn't go well with Diesel Fuel as the Diesel Fuel dissolves the galvanized coating (zinc) depositing it in the filters and the engine. That's why you don't want to store Diesel Fuel in a Galvanized container.
Jim

/ Fuelling Up #9  
5 Gallon cans for now.

Trying to get a 250-500g gravity feed tank off craigslist for 500 or less.
There's always some on there but they of course are 2+ hours away too :laughing:

/ Fuelling Up #10  
I just use a 5 gallon plastic fuel container...Here in Orygun, when I purchase the fuel, I let them know it's for my tractor so I don't have to pay road tax...Not a big thing I agree, but it saves around .24 per gallon...I feel I pay plenty of tax as it is.

Don