pulling up trees, chain on front or back?

/ pulling up trees, chain on front or back? #1  

johnrex62

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3700SUHST
I have some small trees to get rid of. They are slightly too big to brush hog and too flexible to easily push over with the fel, so I figure it might be easiest to pull them up using a chain. They are mostly scrub brush between 2" and 4" diameter; cedar elm, western soapberry, and maybe a couple smaller mesquites that may be in the thicket if they will pull.

I have a couple heavy 5/16 chains with hooks, a clevis hook and a 2" ball. What is the best way to use what I have? I can use the draw bar on the back or I can leave my 3pt attachment in place and use the front bumber/grill holes to put the ball or hook on and drag in reverse.

I saw the idea of using a piece of pipe to increase the chains grip on the tree.

Any opinions? I know the drawbar is the strongest point, but given my chain strength and the tree size will the front bumper be overloaded? That would be easier to use. Do I get better traction in forward or reverse?

I do not want to hire anybody to do this for me and I have plenty of time, ie. no deadline or schedules involved. What I cannot do with my tractor, chain or fel will have to be done by hand. Those are the parameters I will be working by, so please give your advice and warnings within those parameters also.

We all know a mulcher is the best solution, but it is not in the cards for this job unless you want to volunteer your time and equipment to come out and work between all the other trees I want to keep. Can't tell you in advance where they are, cause I can't see them for all the crap around them right now. It just isn't cost effective given all of my unknowns and lack of big areas to mulch. I just want to get rid of the few dozen trees in between the other dozen or so keeper trees. So, sorry clear cut advocates. :D

/ pulling up trees, chain on front or back? #2  
I would cut them with a chainsaw. However given the choice of front or back of tractor, the back using 3pt would be better. You'll be surprised how difficult it is to pull trees that size.

/ pulling up trees, chain on front or back? #3  
I pull trees constantly around my place. I just wrap the chain twice around them hook it to itself hook onto the back of the tractor and drive off.

I've also seen the pipe contraption. I'm considering having a friend weld one for me but frankly who cares if the chain slips a little?? It's a crap tree if I'm pulling it I just don't get that.??

When I pull trees I start off in 1st gear 1st speed and that usually works just fine. When it doesn't I go up in speed and give the tree a LITTLE tug. IMO that's where people get into the most trouble. You're pulling trees, it's not a drag race so there's no need to punch it and try to jerk the thing out. I've watched a few people floor whatever they were pulling with only to have the chain slip off or snap. Which sends it flying at them and their rig. Or the tree will snap sending it and the chain flying at the operator.

Pay attention go slow and try not to jerk the trees and you and you tractor should be just fine.

/ pulling up trees, chain on front or back? #4  
I would cut them with a chainsaw. However given the choice of front or back of tractor, the back using 3pt would be better. You'll be surprised how difficult it is to pull trees that size.

Agreed:thumbsup: even small trees (2"-3") are hard to just rip out of the ground.
The species makes a big difference too.
If you cut them with a chainsaw and keep the area mowed or brush hogged, the stumps should rot in a few yrs.

/ pulling up trees, chain on front or back? #5  
Use the drawbar and chains to pull. Load the bucket (with anything) and use 4WD for traction action.

Keep the drawbar low! Gets interesting fast if line of pull gets above rear axle.

/ pulling up trees, chain on front or back? #6  
When pulling doesn't work I have had good luck grubbing small trees out with my subsoiler - when I can get good access to the stump. Cut the trunk as low as you can without getting the saw blade in the dirt. Start digging with the subsoiler about 12 - 18" to one side and work around, cutting or pulling up roots and trying to lift the stump out as you go. Yet another use for the low cost subsoiler.

-Jim

/ pulling up trees, chain on front or back? #7  
Use common sense-----When pulling something like this---ALWAYS use the lowest gear you have:thumbsup:
If the front of the tractor starts to raise, you will have time to stop it!
Many people are injured or killed using a higher gear for pulling and when the front of the machine raises it does it so fast, it flips:thumbsup:

/ pulling up trees, chain on front or back? #8  
Hook to drawbar you want the load as low as possible, the front bumper was not made for pulling at all. But I have never seen any tree in the 2 to 4 inch size I could not push over with the loader. Loader level, strike tree at the middle of the loader at about hood level let the weight of the tractor push the tree over. Go easy, no ramming. Work it from several sides if neccessary, (usually not) just use common sense and dont tear anything up. when it is easy to push back and forth, and the roots are loose, grub it out with the bucket, you can also use bucket to cut the roots, if needed. Using this method and lots of time I have pushed over/dug out trees in the 8" to 10" size. after cutting off the tree at about the 5 to 6 foot level and leaving the tall stump as a lever to work on. I have done lots of cedars with their roots in the rocks we have here, and let me tell you, they are hard to get out when all the roots are in the cracks in the rocks! But I always win, it is just a matter of time.
James K0UA

/ pulling up trees, chain on front or back? #9  
It was my understanding that the 3pt wasn't supposed to be used for that type of thing? What I've done, and has worked well is to wrap the chain twice around the tree, then hook the other end to the hitch. It is the most central, lowest part of the tractor. Not to mention that it IS made for pulling. My BX will dig a hole even in 4wd, but I have not ever had the front come up with the chain in this spot.

/ pulling up trees, chain on front or back? #10  
Here are some different options that I have used at various times:

1. Try pushing the trees out using the FEL with the bucket flat, just above ground level. If you get up too high on the trunk on small springy trees they will bend over, at the base you can often push them right out. With a tooth bar you can also carefully dig/rip out some of the roots which will make it easier to get out.

2. Wrap a chain or choker cable around the base of the tree, hook it on you FEL bucket and lift. You might be able to pop them out of the ground that way.

3. The 3pt hitch has more lifting power than the FEL, so use it as described in #2. Buy a 3pt hitch drawbar such as those from TSC, lower it as low as possible, hook the chain or cable around the base of the tree and then snugly around the 3pt drawbar and lift. You can gently rock it back and forth also, but don't try to pull forward too hard, that's how you turn a tractor over backwards.

4. If none of the aforementioned methods work, your probably dealing with a tree that's too big for your tractor to handle, either use a backhoe, larger equipment, or just cut it off flush with the ground.