udt vs sudt, do they mix?

/ udt vs sudt, do they mix? #11  
I though I read where some people use a vaccuum in the filler tube to suck air in through the drain to keep the fluid from running out. I'm no where near the 50hr mark and the company I work for has almost every size of rubber plugs but thought I might try it to see if it stops the oil from leaking out.

According to one of our members here, one holds the vacuum "near" the opening, providing back pressure holding the fluid in place. Hold it too close and you'll fill your shop vac with nice messy oil.:laughing:

Apparently, and again, according to others, it helps if the assist who holds this shop vac hose is a bikini clad. I merely report.

Since I have no assistant, so clad or otherwise, I use the plug method successfully.

/ udt vs sudt, do they mix? #12  
It was years ago but I thought someone said that you got a hose that would fit into the hole for the fill/ breather and then wrapped tape around the pipe so it would stay in place and not suc air in around it on it's own. That since it's the filler/ breather it's above the oil line so no oil would get sucked up into the vac. At least that's what I pictured in my mind, lol.

/ udt vs sudt, do they mix? #13  
I used the Shop Vac on mine when I changed the filter, the adapter on the end was a perfect fit in the fill point. I got a "little bit" of oil in the hose, maybe 1 oz at most, probably what was in the immediate area of the filler neck.

Sean

/ udt vs sudt, do they mix? #14  
Haven't done mine yet, so I'm not quite sure of the configuration, but I would be concerned that the vacuum method might recirculate some of the debris back off of the stainer.
I can imagine if its sucking fluid away from the hole, it might take some particles with it, and defeat the purpose of the service.

/ udt vs sudt, do they mix? #15  
Haven't done mine yet, so I'm not quite sure of the configuration, but I would be concerned that the vacuum method might recirculate some of the debris back off of the stainer.
I can imagine if its sucking fluid away from the hole, it might take some particles with it, and defeat the purpose of the service.

I doubt it. The vacuum is just sufficient to not allow the fluid to flow out the hole created by removing the screen.

For the fluid to drain out the hole, make up air must replace it by entering through the dipstick/fill hole. The vacuum is merely preventing make up air from entering.

That said, I use a cork. What do I know.:laughing:

/ udt vs sudt, do they mix? #16  
Mine doesn't have any screen, just the filter with the magnetic ring.

Sean

/ udt vs sudt, do they mix? #17  
1*I would have replaced the udt with Sudt when I changed the filter.
2*No you need an antifreeze formulated especially for diesels.

just wanted to be sure that you saw the part about using antifreeze espeically formulated for diesels. There is a difference.

/ udt vs sudt, do they mix?
just wanted to be sure that you saw the part about using antifreeze espeically formulated for diesels. There is a difference.

I saw that, thanks to all for the info, and I would not have known to look for antifreeze for diesels. Lucky for me now I do...:thumbsup:

FWIW I'm going with the cork method next time. I could just see my shop vac storing those fumes and making my house smell like trans fluid after the next service.

/ udt vs sudt, do they mix? #19  
You'd have been better off changing the HST fluid and forgetting
the filter ; it's 35 micron and not that efficient . The trans requires
a high through-put ( 25l/min ) for a small system , and back pressure
is not good . This is why SUDT is used , to reduce hydro-pump pressure.

/ udt vs sudt, do they mix? #20  
So, what IS the difference between diesel and gas engine anti-freeze? I've heard this before, but never explained.